• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You know what really grinds my cricketing gears?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The traditional way to judge this was to allow a greater degree of bend in the arm, the faster you bowl which makes sense from my point of view. It is a matter of physics that the faster you move an object, the more it bends. Whipping a branch around at different speeds demonstrates this. Fast bowlers can't help straightening their arm, slow bowlers can.

And, of course, wrist spinners can't really bend their arms at all so it kinda sucks for them. Maybe it makes sense to just have a set rule for all but it does not mean I have to like it.
Except there wasn't a huge difference in the arm speed of Murali compared to fast bowlers, IIRC.

TumTum

Banned
Nah chuking doesn't mean you'll generate more spin. Only advantages are that you are more accurate and you are also able to bowl variations easier.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Nah chuking doesn't mean you'll generate more spin. Only advantages are that you are more accurate and you are also able to bowl variations easier.
You should write a book on what you know about spin bowling.

The back of one of these should provide you with ample room to fit everything you know onto it:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Word of advice mate. There is nothing wrong with having your own opinions on players and what not, you don't need a qualification to be worth something. However, when you make posts like the above, you just make yourself look stupid. People who have been watching and playing the game for twenty times as long as you are saying that chucking helps generate spin? Where do you then get off saying it doesn't? You do this sort of thing a lot and maybe it would help you now and again to listen and learn instead of acting like a misguided (doesn't)know-it-all. Just my two cents :)

TumTum

Banned
Word of advice mate. There is nothing wrong with having your own opinions on players and what not, you don't need a qualification to be worth something. However, when you make posts like the above, you just make yourself look stupid. People who have been watching and playing the game for twenty times as long as you are saying that chucking helps generate spin? Where do you then get off saying it doesn't? You do this sort of thing a lot and maybe it would help you now and again to listen and learn instead of acting like a misguided (doesn't)know-it-all. Just my two cents :)
And the irony in that post is, nobody actually said one reason why my post isn't true. The norm here I guess is to just reply with personal abuse and a few random pics to go along with. I ask you, where do people get the opportunity to learn here? If you don't agree with my posts, come up with a good reply or gagf.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Hang on, that wasn't personal abuse, not at all. TBH I posted it because it's posts like the one I quoted that lead to you getting abuse about your cricket knowledge.

If you don't think chucking helps spin it more, say you've never seen it do that, or never found it helped you do so. Ask what examples other people have got. Don't just dismiss them out of hand because you've never witnessed it.

But whatever, if you think your posting is cool then carry on

TumTum

Banned
Hang on, that wasn't personal abuse, not at all. TBH I posted it because it's posts like the one I quoted that lead to you getting abuse about your cricket knowledge.

If you don't think chucking helps spin it more, say you've never seen it do that, or never found it helped you do so. Ask what examples other people have got. Don't just dismiss them out of hand because you've never witnessed it.

But whatever, if you think your posting is cool then carry on
I didn't dismiss them or had the opportunity, because nobody has even got into the debate with me about it. I just game my opinion on the matter. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. I was going to respond to PEWS ftr, but after reading the next post why bother?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Okay, if you say you didn't dismiss them then you obviously didn't mean to. However, your post said something like, "Chucking doesn't help you spin it more." This is a definitive statement of fact. Just re-word things slightly and people will discuss rather than retorting with digs at your cricketing knowledge. IMO.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If memory serves, vic once said he was experimenting with, ah, more elbow flexion in the nets at one point (Former Australian Under-19s Star's Secret Chucking Shame; a nation mourns, etc) and, as I'd imagine he knows more about finger spin than the rest of us peasants put together, I'd be interested to hear how he thought it affected spin, accuracy, etc.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And the irony in that post is, nobody actually said one reason why my post isn't true. The norm here I guess is to just reply with personal abuse and a few random pics to go along with. I ask you, where do people get the opportunity to learn here? If you don't agree with my posts, come up with a good reply or gagf.
Okay; try it and you'll see why you're wrong. It's tough to explain in words, about the best I can come up with is that having the ability to flex/extend the arm in the delivery stride gives the bowler a greater ability to 'flick' the ball out of the fingers, makes it easier to use the wrist, etc. Simpler if you just give it a go yourself.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I would need to see the evidence for that. It kind of defies logic at first glance.
Was in Bruce Elliott's 2004 report. Not available online, though.

EDIT: Mention made of it here;

http://www.espncricinfo.com/srilanka/content/story/134506.html

EDIT2: Found the text of the report;

http://www.islandcricket.lk/news/61520712/bowling_report_testing_muralitharans_doosra

The logic in reducing the margin for fast bowlers compared with spin bowlers is based on the lower speed delivery of this classification of bowler. However, while run-up speed and length of arm are generally higher for fast bowlers, spinners such as Muttiah Muralitharan actually have a similar rotational speed of the arm system. Mr Muralitharan recorded a similar time (»0.08s), from arm horizontal to release”, to that recorded by Shabbir Ahmed Khan the Pakistan fast bowler recently tested by this team. Therefore a case can certainly be made for some spin bowlers such as Mr Muralitharan to have the same range of acceptability in elbow angle to that of fast bowlers.

Last edited:

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
What grinds my cricketing gears?

Kane Williamson's bowling action. It's vile. Really want someone to point it out to him so something can be done about it. On the other hand, I couldn't care less if he never bowls again, he's a batsman after all. Just thought it was interesting how pretty much everyone thinks he chucks, yet the authorities haven't picked up on it just because (I suspect) he's a part-timer, so hasn't attracted much attention.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Okay; try it and you'll see why you're wrong. It's tough to explain in words, about the best I can come up with is that having the ability to flex/extend the arm in the delivery stride gives the bowler a greater ability to 'flick' the ball out of the fingers, makes it easier to use the wrist, etc. Simpler if you just give it a go yourself.
Two levers instead of one.

Lets say you hold a ball with the ball facing away with you, and the back of your hand facing you. You can twist your wrist, whilst holding your elbow still, from about 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock (opposite for the right hander). Get your elbow involved in the rotation process, and you can get from almost 8 o'clock to 3 o'clock.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
If memory serves, vic once said he was experimenting with, ah, more elbow flexion in the nets at one point (Former Australian Under-19s Star's Secret Chucking Shame; a nation mourns, etc) and, as I'd imagine he knows more about finger spin than the rest of us peasants put together, I'd be interested to hear how he thought it affected spin, accuracy, etc.
Mucked around with it more for top-spin/doosra stuff. Have reverted to practising the "carrom ball" style more now, as it comes out at a more similar pace than the Ajmal/Murali/Saqlain style doosra.

Generally, when I have a play around with it all, bowling a conventional off-spinner with a bit of a throw tends to make the ball get to the other end quicker with just as much work on it, but I feel like I bowl (yeah, yeah) a lot flatter when I get a bit of elbow into it.