• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You know what really grinds my cricketing gears?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Are you sure about that?

Need some links in here. My brain's getting confused. I thought the NRR in your scenario would become 3.
100% positive. NRR is the total number of runs scored, divided by your total overs faced, minues the total number of runs conceded, divided by overs bowled.

If you bowl a team out or are bowled out, then for the purposes of NRR, it is assumed you've used your full compliment of overs.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
GF is correct.

By extension, a thing that grinds my gears is that a win by 300 runs counts way more in NRR than a win by 10 wickets in 30-odd overs.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You do know about NRR beforehand, though. If you finish a chase with ten wickets in hand in a situation where NRR might be important, you probably should have kicked on a bit earlier.

But yeah, NRR in general is a bit crap. It just kinda does the job and no one really can be bothered thinking of a better way of distinguishing between two teams on the same number of points.

What's still grinding my cricketing gears is batsmen not going for one more unlikely run at the end of the first innings. They did it in the WC semi-finals ffs. What the **** have you got to lose? International fielders miss ridiculously easy run-out chances far more often than you would expect them to.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ah, I see. I thought NRR was added up from game to game rather than averaged out.
It's not, but there's always been a (pretty strong IMO) argument to suggest it should be, so all games are counted equally. If you smash a team by a big margin, it's always a lot more beneficial to have batted first because 50 overs counts for a greater percentage of your NRR than 25 overs or whatever you need to chase a small target. Using a sum of net run rates rather than an overall net run rate would remove that problem.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I would just have a reserve day for such a scenario and just let the two teams on same points play a tie breaker.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
Cheerleading commentators. Most of them seem to think their job is to pump up the tyres of whoever appears on screen at any moment during a game.

When did commentating become about PR? There must have been a moment in time when the change happened.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Cheerleading commentators. Most of them seem to think their job is to pump up the tyres of whoever appears on screen at any moment during a game.

When did commentating become about PR? There must have been a moment in time when the change happened.
The rise of pay tv, IMHO.

Although, it must be said, Sky (as evil and heartless a corporation as one could wish for) has a cricket team admirably free of cheerleaders. Only really Bumble fits the bill and he does it in an ironic way (I think).

Howe_zat

Audio File
I get the impression Bumble really is that enthusiastic. Good for him, I guess.

Nick Knight is their cheerleader. Then there's Bob Willis, who is the opposite, but somehow worse.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I get the impression Bumble really is that enthusiastic. Good for him, I guess.

Nick Knight is their cheerleader. Then there's Bob Willis, who is the opposite, but somehow worse.
:-O

DBAC. RGDW is wonderfully world weary. Any praise prised from him is well-merited.

Best deployed as a summariser rather than a comm tho; he can get a bit Leonard Cohen after a while.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Well if he's your cup of tea then fine, but to me the way he comes over most of the time is that he doesn't actually like cricket.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
Well if he's your cup of tea then fine, but to me the way he comes over most of the time is that he doesn't actually like cricket.
Also that he never made a bad decision in his life on the field. He doesn't sound world-weary so much as bitter.

Botham is pretty unbearable, I don't know what you'd call him apart from a cheerleader.

I like Bumble, he tries a bit too hard to be funny, but he sometimes is actually very funny and he's very likeable.

Last edited: