• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Collingwood retires from test cricket

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Jono, I've told you this for 5 years now but you've spelt **** wrong in your username

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I can't edit that though :ph34r:

On topic, Collingwood's a gun. Loved his endeavour and fight.

Could still play a huge part in England's World Cup campaign.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
England - with a long term view - would've liked to have seen Bopara be the first man in line, to help out with a bit of fifth bowling duties.

Do you think we'll see the ball being thrown to Trott, or Bell, first?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
England - with a long term view - would've liked to have seen Bopara be the first man in line, to help out with a bit of fifth bowling duties.

Don't think Bell's bowled a ball since Trott debut and I've seen Trott have a trundle a couple of times, so I'd have my money on Trott. I think we might see a bit of Pietersen too though, particularly in the second innings of games.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Problem is, I don't know who'll replace Collingwood, and whether they'll be a better cricketer. Morgan's pretty meh at FC cricket right now, Hildreth can't score runs outside of Taunton (well, maybe that's a bit far, but he isn't as strong), Bopara's failed at test level before and Taylor's probably seen as too raw.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Problem is, I don't know who'll replace Collingwood, and whether they'll be a better cricketer. Morgan's pretty meh at FC cricket right now, Hildreth can't score runs outside of Taunton (well, maybe that's a bit far, but he isn't as strong), Bopara's failed at test level before and Taylor's probably seen as too raw.
Morgan's in the squad at the moment and has already played a couple of Tests; it'll be him. Don't really think it should be, but it will.

flibbertyjibber

In a better place as a team to bring someone new in though than Australia. We aren't under pressure to get it right straight away with who comes in so can give the player who does come in a proper chance and not just a game or two.

I think it will be Morgan though i wouldn't be too upset if Broad came in for him and Prior and Bresnan just shuffled up the order. That would give us a very good 5 man attack and plenty of batting down to Swann at 9.

morgieb

Morgan's in the squad at the moment and has already played a couple of Tests; it'll be him. Don't really think it should be, but it will.
Yeah am pretty confident it would be - would pick Taylor if it was up to me however.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah am pretty confident it would be - would pick Taylor if it was up to me however.
The fact that there'a a World Cup before their next series, in which Morgan will probably go well, really clinches it IMO. Morgan could blow it and fail in the World Cup but I think the conditions will suit him and he'll go well there. Still wouldn't pick him in Tests yet, but I'm fairly confident that's what'll happen.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

I read somewhere a while back that Bell ahs given up bowling. It will be Trott.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
In a better place as a team to bring someone new in though than Australia. We aren't under pressure to get it right straight away with who comes in so can give the player who does come in a proper chance and not just a game or two.

I think it will be Morgan though i wouldn't be too upset if Broad came in for him and Prior and Bresnan just shuffled up the order. That would give us a very good 5 man attack and plenty of batting down to Swann at 9.
Yeah, this. The fact that Collingwood has only scored 83 runs in the series has barely registered in most quarters. It simply hasn't been an issue.

Woodster

International Captain
If you have nothing else to do, have a browse over an article I did on Colly when he reached 50 Test caps during the Ashes series in 2009. It explains in full what Colly has meant to me over the years.

Cricket Web - Features: 50 Caps for Colly!

As for his replacement, the ones in the frame, you'd think, are Morgan, Bopara and Hildreth, and these are three pretty good options to have, each one bringing their own qualities to the table. What will be interesting to me is whether Bopara and Morgan go to the IPL. Personally if I was them I would sacrifice a season in the IPL to try and get some early season County form. I'm not sure when the IPL runs from and to this year, but last year those that participated missed a fair chunk of the County Championship season, don't think they can afford to do that if they want to put a marker down on this new vacancy in the England Test side.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
If you have nothing else to do, have a browse over an article I did on Colly when he reached 50 Test caps during the Ashes series in 2009. It explains in full what Colly has meant to me over the years.

Cricket Web - Features: 50 Caps for Colly!

As for his replacement, the ones in the frame, you'd think, are Morgan, Bopara and Hildreth, and these are three pretty good options to have, each one bringing their own qualities to the table. What will be interesting to me is whether Bopara and Morgan go to the IPL. Personally if I was them I would sacrifice a season in the IPL to try and get some early season County form. I'm not sure when the IPL runs from and to this year, but last year those that participated missed a fair chunk of the County Championship season, don't think they can afford to do that if they want to put a marker down on this new vacancy in the England Test side.
To be fair, Bopara is at least getting First Class games for England Lions, who are playing in the West Indies domestic competition.

I'm pretty sure that if Morgan opts to play IPL his next First Class game would be the 1st Test vs Sri Lanka. If he goes and plays IPL he should be ruling himself out of Test contention.

vcs

Not the most naturally talented batsman but had an invaluable knack of playing crucial knocks under pressure, like Laxman. Will be missed.