• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at the WACA

Jacknife

International Captain
I've seen him bowl a lot and think he's a better than average CC bowler, so we obviously differ in our opinions on this. At 25 the guy's still improving aswell, if he continues to improve at his current rate, in 12-18 months he'll be a very handy cricketer.
I've watched Bresnan develop since he got into the Yorkshire first team and I think he is underrated by England fans and opposition fans. In the last couple of years he's become a much better bowler and he's improved his bowling skills no end. The problem is, he could do a good job for England, but only as a 4th seamer and not as a first change, which is why Tremlett would be the obvious choice. The thing about Brenans' game which has really improved, is his batting and would be in my opinion a improvement on Broad.

Woodster

International Captain
I've watched Bresnan develop since he got into the Yorkshire first team and I think he is underrated by England fans and opposition fans. In the last couple of years he's become a much better bowler and he's improved his bowling skills no end. The problem is, he could do a good job for England, but only as a 4th seamer and not as a first change, which is why Tremlett would be the obvious choice. The thing about Brenans' game which has really improved, is his batting and would be in my opinion a improvement on Broad.
Yes he is underrated, I agree. Think Social somewhere along the line has taken what I've said about him as though I think he's the best bowler in the world! He's certainly a useful option within our squad, and I agree his batting is very useful down at number eight, but that's not a reason to select him for Perth, it is of course a welcome bonus.

I probably agree with you on him working well as England's fourth seamer, and his selection for the tour was probably heavily weighted on him coming into the team should we need to select five bowlers at any point.

He's getting better, probably lacks the penetration to work in a four-man attack in this current England side, but could do a more than useful containing job in a five-man attack, providing a wicket-taking threat should conditions assist. Should he be selected for Perth, personally I think it will be Tremlett, then they'll have ideas of him doing the donkey work into the wind, a job I'm sure he'd relish.

Jacknife

International Captain
if he has the potential to be the numner 1 bowler, how come he cant even make it past finn in the 11? i remember seeign him in a few ODIs in 2005, he had no aggression.
its sad that now at the age of 29, he hasnt discovered that. doubt he'll ever get a long stay- he obviously has the talent, but couldnt cultivate that nastiness and now has a few years to go in his fast bowling career.

people talk about mitchell johnson having no aggression/not being able to bowl- jonson has 166 test wickets. this guy cant even get past finn, who's no big thing himself.

although i must agree, having seen him in the tour match V aus, he will be a real handful on the WACA ground. he could do what ishant did tothem in 08. will love the bounce there, and no matter what, the pitch WILL offer some bounce.

talk of going into the match with bresnan will make me and other aussies very happy. we'll know then, get past anderson, (with swann maybe not on the best deck forspin), and things will be relatively easy

shahzad looks fantastic, anywhere but the waca may have opted for him.

Lets see how tremlett bowls, the so called "best bowler in the world" in the nets- funny that those net sessions never seemed to be enough to warrant him a place recently...
i
It had nothing to with his aggression or lack of it, it's do with him suffering from injury after injury. He would look the part and then get injured a recurring theme throughout is career. England have wanted him in the team for years but until this year he hasn't shown her can stay fit . He seems to have bulked up and changed his fitness regiment, which must be helping him on the injuries front

Last edited:

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
if he has the potential to be the numner 1 bowler, how come he cant even make it past finn in the 11? i remember seeign him in a few ODIs in 2005, he had no aggression.
its sad that now at the age of 29, he hasnt discovered that. doubt he'll ever get a long stay- he obviously has the talent, but couldnt cultivate that nastiness and now has a few years to go in his fast bowling career.

people talk about mitchell johnson having no aggression/not being able to bowl- jonson has 166 test wickets. this guy cant even get past finn, who's no big thing himself.

although i must agree, having seen him in the tour match V aus, he will be a real handful on the WACA ground. he could do what ishant did tothem in 08. will love the bounce there, and no matter what, the pitch WILL offer some bounce.

talk of going into the match with bresnan will make me and other aussies very happy. we'll know then, get past anderson, (with swann maybe not on the best deck forspin), and things will be relatively easy

Lets see how tremlett bowls, the so called "best bowler in the world" in the nets- funny that those net sessions never seemed to be enough to warrant him a place recently...
i
Obviously Warne sees the potential in him to be number 1, he's not saying he is number one and clearly he has not been quite as good on the pitch as in the nets. The reason why he's not in the team was due to long term injury, and then time needed to prove himself at county level before being considered again for the team. There was talk of him playing instead of Finn this series but Finn has picked up wickets regularly in his career so far, so there was no need to replace him.

I don't think we can say that he isn't good enough, or still doesn't have the aggression to succeed at test match level until he is put into a situation that demands it. Hopefully he'll get his chance in Perth and then we'll have a good guage as to whether he's good enough.

TBH the point of my previous post was just to prove that Warne did rate Tremlett and, as social says, Warne has played alongside him and so knows better than we do. :happy:

Woodster

International Captain

i
Lacking aggression was a point made about Tremlett but never a reason for non-selection, as Jacknife says his fitness has always been the problem. He played three games in a series against India, of which not many of their much celebrated batting line-up will question his aggression after a number of back of a length deliveries rattled into their rib cage and around that area.

He picked up 13 wickets in that series at less than 30, before he got injured again. Since then it's all been about proving he has the body to cope with Test match cricket, he looks much stronger now and after a decent and relatively injury-free season he seems to have alleviated some of those doubts. Think England always wanted him to go to Australia.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think it's another Victorian, our own David Saker, who bears a lot of credit for Tremlett's renaissance. As Mike Selvey suggested when the squad was named he came without any preconceptions and saw only a bloke of 6' 8" who's built like a brick ****house and can get steepling bounce off a good length at 85mph+.

Tremmers clearly developing a bit of dog in him tho; it was him who cracked Jimmeh's ribs after all.

Spark

Global Moderator
Lol. The difference in this day and age is whilst the oppo have challenges available, not walking on blatant hits like that makes you look not only bloody stupid, but you ain't gonna keep your wicket anyway.
Yeah exactly. I think everyone had a chuckle/facepalm when that first replay came up...

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Loved this Mark Waugh quote:

"He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."

:laugh:
Mark Waugh is so awesome.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lee clambers aboard Warne bandwagon

Now bordering on the farcical

Sometime in the last year or so, I watched Warne bowl in a game at Lords where he'd gotten off a plane from Las Vegas that morning and bowled supremely well

As such, I have absolutely no doubt that he could walk into an Ashes test tomorrow and play a major part

Likewise, Gilchrist would probably do a better job than Haddin, McGrath better than Hilf, etc

HOWEVER, I would be ****ing disgusted if any were offered the opportunity

Man up Australia FFS!
Yeah, I agree. And why does someone have to talk about 'writing scripts' every time Warne is mentioned? Warne started the whole thing back in 2007 when he said 'I don't know who is writing the scripts blah blah blah' 2 or 3 times every interview, now everyone is saying it.

Here's a tip - nobody is writing any ****ing scripts...when you're good at something, things often work out the way you want them to.

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!

"He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."

Love Junior so much. WAG.

M0rphin3

International Debutant

WAG :laugh:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh get off it Tremlett would not only walk in but would be your lead bowler. Suck it up.

And I guess Warne saying this:

Shane Warne: should England paceman Chris Tremlett turn nasty - watch out Australia - Telegraph

"In the nets he is the best bowler in the world, bar none. He is unplayable."

"Everyone in English cricket has known for a while that if the penny drops for Chris, then he can be a world-beater. And I believe if he has learned his lesson then he could be the No 1 bowler in the world. Serious. He is that good."

...shows that he doesn't rate him 8-)

Warne talks about the problem being his body language and lack of aggression. He certainly has no problem with body language any more and, until we see him in a serious game like the Ashes, we can't really know if that aggression is there. But, in any case, Warne clearly rates him very highly.
"I tried everything. I was nice to him and supported him. I tried to be nasty by batting him at No 11 to make him angry. But he was just a bit soft."

That's a nice way of saying that he hasnt got what it akes

howardj

International Coach
Yeah, I agree. And why does someone have to talk about 'writing scripts' every time Warne is mentioned? Warne started the whole thing back in 2007 when he said 'I don't know who is writing the scripts blah blah blah' 2 or 3 times every interview, now everyone is saying it.

Here's a tip - nobody is writing any ****ing scripts...when you're good at something, things often work out the way you want them to.
:laugh::laugh:

I remember that bugging you, or it may have been other posters on here, in the past.

Anyway, love the Twitter box and the whole comment actually - Junior's a legend.

howardj

International Coach
I think they'll have to leave a bit of moisture in the WACA pitch.

The forecast is fine, and ****ing hot.

G Rot

Cricket Spectator
Loved the Perth Test last Summer.

Hope the curator produces the same sort of wicket.
I remember it being quite flat...

Gayle scored quite a quick fire tonne iirc cant remember the last time i saw him get runs on a sporting wicket.....