• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at the WACA

Spark

Global Moderator
AWTA that Hauritz must be spewing

Seriously if the selection policy is going to be determined by who Ponting does/doesn't like then he should be removed as captain ASAP. Besides, Hauritz is possibly the most inoffensive person in world cricket, what could he possibly have done to piss Ponting off so - apart from get pummeled in India ofc

Hand on heart, he looks okay to me. Seems to have more to him than Doherty from a purely visual analysis point of view. Didn't look Test standard or anything (barely looked First Class standard, but then again you could say that for all our spinners) but when I saw him bowl I thought he had something to work with. I was remotely excited by him.

Still an absolutely ridiculous selection though. I'd have preferred retaining North and batting him eleven.
Well I don't expect fireworks for him any time soon but if there is talent there then now he's picked he needs to be treated with care.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
Will hold my hand up and say I'd never even heard of Beer until Warne mentioned him the other day.

Assume he's a spinner, what's he bowl? Can he bat?

Smith at 6 or 7 a pretty big call IMHO. The boy clearly has talent but, based on what I've seen so far, maybe doesn't have the shot selection of a top order batsman just yet.
I have a feeling selectors too came to know about him when they heard Warney talking about him, or maybe Warney knew all along that he is gonna be picked.....

TumTum

Banned
Seriously don't care about the Beer selection, because if Smith is selected the team is a joke already.

I'll just be laughing my ass off come the 3rd Test, good times.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I bet even Warne is like wtf...."I was just trying to sound smart by suggesting someone who knew the conditions." The weakest Australian squad i have seen in a long time
I actually don't think it looks quite that horrible if you assume Beer is going to be carrying the drinks for experience. Smith's performance at the SCG may have convinced the selectors to go with 4 quicks with Smith holding down part time spinning duties, and Beer being given some time with the squad while he works at his game with WA.

Or maybe it's all a smokescreen so we can unleash Warnie the day of the test :devil2:

Mike5181

International Captain
Seriously don't care about the Beer selection, because if Smith is selected the team is a joke already.

I'll just be laughing my ass off come the 3rd Test, good times.
Yeah Smith is average I'm sure there are far better options than him...Even someone like Cameron White would be of far more use.

Sylvester

State Captain
Ponting to retire soon after the ashes (if not right after)
Hauritz to be recalled for the first series Ponting isn't captain (providing Hauritz doesn't lose form majorly)

Thats my prediction.

Beer took wickets in a practice game against England iirc.
Can't remember how many
Agree, I'm positive this is all Ponting's doing and not the selectors. Although it was all them picking Beer, still in utter shock.

Mike5181

International Captain
I actually don't think it looks quite that horrible if you assume Beer is going to be carrying the drinks for experience. Smith's performance at the SCG may have convinced the selectors to go with 4 quicks with Smith holding down part time spinning duties, and Beer being given some time with the squad while he works at his game with WA.

Or maybe it's all a smokescreen so we can unleash Warnie the day of the test :devil2:
Yeah i will reserve my judgment on the guy until after i see him bowl. Was more excited at the prospect of seeing this Khuwaja in the squad but guts for him.

Mike5181

International Captain
Agree, I'm positive this is all Ponting's doing and not the selectors. Although it was all them picking Beer, still in utter shock.
It does seem a bit weird that Warne suggested this out of the blue guy with only five first class games and then suddenly he is in the squad for the next test.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hauritz's test career must be officially over after this. He scores 160, takes 5 at the WACA and 3 today and still gets his spot taken by a guy who made his first class debut a couple of months ago. Must have take a big **** in Ponting's coffee one morning.

It's extrodinarily harsh on the guy, and this comes from someone who never really rated him.
I am ****ing disgusted and almost speechless

outbreak

First Class Debutant
I get the feeling White's shot himself in the foot by not bowling anymore. He may have done it so he would stop being treated as a frontline bowler but now he's batting has improved alot if he still bowled some half decent overs he'd be a good pick.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Left arm orthodox. Bats ten in club cricket (which is the highest level of cricket he's played with a big enough sample size) - worst batsman in the squad I'd say.
Cheers.

Weird selection, it must be said.

Given Smith has effectively been picked as a batsman (judging by the squad he's a direct replacement for North) I think he has to play. Smith isn't the kind of bowler who can tie an end up whilst the quicks are rotated.

Will have a wee lol if Hussey jr tons up today.

Mike5181

International Captain
I get the feeling White's shot himself in the foot by not bowling anymore. He may have done it so he would stop being treated as a frontline bowler but now he's batting has improved alot if he still bowled some half decent overs he'd be a good pick.
Yeah i mean his batting is a bit better than North's and if he had improved in the bowling department he would have been the perfect replacement.

Mike5181

International Captain
Cheers.

Weird selection, it must be said.

Given Smith has effectively been picked as a batsman (judging by the squad he's a direct replacement for North) I think he has to play. Smith isn't the kind of bowler who can tie an end up whilst the quicks are rotated.

Will have a wee lol if Hussey jr tons up today.
HAH yeah i was just thinking that...hes on 30 odd now batting against Tremlett and Collingwood (Two starting players for England).

Joao

U19 12th Man
:-O :blink: :laugh: :@

Just some of my emotions at that squad.

Congratulations England, you don't even have to play our best team to retain the ashes. We just grabbed a couple or Warnie's club mates to bowl you a couple of overs on the way to 3/985.

****ing joke. Can we start a petition to have Hild**** and co removed?