• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ever ODI bowler

Best ever ODI bowler

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Wow.That's an awesome team. Tremendous batting power without compromising on bowling. Dhoni over Gilly??? And Dhoni as captain of this side??? Well Dhoni is a pretty good captain? What about Kapil or Wasim as captains????
Dhoni over Gilchrist in ODIs for me, but not by much.

And no, Dhoni isn't the captain. As I am a firm believer in the theory that your captain should be an automatic selection in the team (and possibly among your best 5 players). That rules out Kapil too. My side will be captained by Viv Richards. The best player in my side, and one who has the experience of captaining a great side with much success.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
After the implementation of 13 overs per bowler rule?

Anyways, in my AT ODI World XI, my bowling attack will be:

Muralitharan plus 4 among McGrath, Garner, Ambrose, Akram, Hadlee, Pollock, Kapil and Klusener. Now which 4 among these bowlers will be chosen will depend on my team composition.
For the fifth bowler I will perhaps make do with part-timers. Strangely, quality all-rounders have been a rarity in ODIs compared to tests. So no obvious choice comes to mind. Pollock or may be Imran may have to be picked as the all-rounder.

Checkmate

School Boy/Girl Captain
If we're talking all-rounders then Flintoff for sure. 32 batting average and especially 24 bowling really incredible in this era.

Brett Lee also greatly underrated.

smash84

The Tiger King
For the fifth bowler I will perhaps make do with part-timers. Strangely, quality all-rounders have been a rarity in ODIs compared to tests. So no obvious choice comes to mind. Pollock or may be Imran may have to be picked as the all-rounder.
Imran for an ODI XI? The only way he could walk in is probably as a captain. Not a great ODI player overall.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Go on then, I'll hoist my colours.

Tendulkar
Gilchrist
Ponting
Lara
Richards
Bevan
Flintoff
Pollock
Wasim Akram
Garner
Muralitharan

Flintoff was stunning in ODIs. Arguably England's best ever one-day bowler in his own right, and would often bat in the middle order with a strike rate of nearly 90.

Himannv

International Coach
Mine will probably look like this:

Adam Gilchrist+
Sachin Tendulkar
Viv Richards*
Zaheer Abbas
Andrew Symonds
Micheal Bevan
Lance Klusener
Shaun Pollock
Wasim Akram
Joel Garner
Muthiah Muralitharan

smash84

The Tiger King
Go on then, I'll hoist my colours.

Tendulkar
Gilchrist
Ponting
Lara
Richards
Bevan
Flintoff
Pollock
Wasim Akram
Garner
Muralitharan

Flintoff was stunning in ODIs. Arguably England's best ever one-day bowler in his own right, and would often bat in the middle order with a strike rate of nearly 90.
You might as well make an argument for Kallis. A supremely better batsman compared to Flintoff and not too shoddy with the ball either (at least initially).

smash84

The Tiger King
Mine will probably look like this:

Adam Gilchrist+
Sachin Tendulkar
Viv Richards*
Zaheer Abbas
Andrew Symonds
Micheal Bevan
Lance Klusener
Shaun Pollock
Wasim Akram
Joel Garner
Muthiah Muralitharan
Surely there can be better players to be found in an All Time XI than Klusener???? He never an extraordinary bowler and his batting other than the 1999 world cup wasn't that of a world class batsman either. Kallis seems like a much better choice. In fact even Imran seems a better bet than Klusener.

Himannv

International Coach
Murali has been the best spinner in ODIs without doubt and there is daylight between him and the rest of the spinners but I am not sure Murali was as good in the death overs as Wasim IMO. Did Murali always bowl in the last 6 to 8 overs??? I remember a lot of matches where he usually didn't bowl in the last 6-8 overs. I am not sure though since he has played a lot of ODIs.Can somebody shed a bit more light on that?
Well he obviously didn't bowl the final over of the match (Vaas generally covered that) but he often bowled in the last few and was fairly economical considering he's a spinner. We didn't have too many fast bowlers who gave much support to Vaas so he had to do the job now and then. His 10 overs were spread about the match and used as much as possible by the captains over the years. The only time they were hesitant to bowl him was in the powerplays and even then it was primarily because he didn't like to bowl at that time.

smash84

The Tiger King
Well he obviously didn't bowl the final over of the match (Vaas generally covered that) but he often bowled in the last few and was fairly economical considering he's a spinner. We didn't have too many fast bowlers who gave much support to Vaas so he had to do the job now and then. His 10 overs were spread about the match and used as much as possible by the captains over the years. The only time they were hesitant to bowl him was in the powerplays and even then it was primarily because he didn't like to bowl at that time.
That is what I thought too. That Murali used to be somewhat hesitant in bowling when fielding restrictions were in place. Even during the first 15 overs (that might also be because the ball is hard at that time and not very conducive to spin). In the matches that I saw of Murali he usually bowled in between the 15-45 over period. Usually not around in the final 5 overs. Which reminds me that Vaas used to be pretty decent in those final overs.

Himannv

International Coach
Surely there can be better players to be found in an All Time XI than Klusener???? He never an extraordinary bowler and his batting other than the 1999 world cup wasn't that of a world class batsman either. Kallis seems like a much better choice. In fact even Imran seems a better bet than Klusener.
Well I wanted a pure hitter at number 7 who can also take up a fair share of bowling. Not too many names around who can do that sort of job.

His cutters and yorkers are fairly good and underrated in ODI's generally IMO. With Garner, Pollock, Akram, Murali, Viv and Symonds in the side I think he'll balance the side out well. As for his batting, I think he's been a fantastic hitter and hits em clean more often than not. Never seen a player who wins matches on his own based on pure hitting quite like him.

The only other one who I would consider ahead of him is probably Kapil. Just feel that Klusener is a better hitter at that slot than Kapil and considering the other bowling options available, he seemed like a better pick on the whole.

Himannv

International Coach
That is what I thought too. That Murali used to be somewhat hesitant in bowling when fielding restrictions were in place. Even during the first 15 overs (that might also be because the ball is hard at that time and not very conducive to spin). In the matches that I saw of Murali he usually bowled in between the 15-45 over period. Usually not around in the final 5 overs. Which reminds me that Vaas used to be pretty decent in those final overs.
Yeah good shout that. There was a time when Vaas was considered one of the best death bowlers going around.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Aren't Wasim's stats better considering the era that he played in? And he was a fantastic new ball bowler and also that he probably had more in his repertoire than Garner??? TBH I didn't see Garner playing too much but from what I have seen Wasim was the perfect ODI bowler.
Wasim was pretty awesome too, needless to say. But no, not really. In spite of the fact that batting was a lot less aggressive when Garner played, he took wickets almost exactly as often as Wasim did- every 36 balls- and, of course, conceded quite considerably less runs. He actually averaged 16 in List A games, with an E/R of 2.9. To go with his test average of 20 and FC average of 18. This was a bowler who pretty much never bowled a bad spell. Wasim was arguably more exciting and obviously had a few more tricks up his sleeve but I don't think he (nor anyone else) can match Garner for consistency. Which is what you want in an ODI bowler, really.

It's a tough comparison though, the game's changed so, so much, and ODI stats are rarely much use anyway. Comparing Wasim and McGrath might be a bit more interesting.

smash84

The Tiger King
Wasim was pretty awesome too, needless to say. But no, not really. In spite of the fact that batting was a lot less aggressive when Garner played, he took wickets almost exactly as often as Wasim did- every 36 balls- and, of course, conceded quite considerably less runs. He actually averaged 16 in List A games, with an E/R of 2.9. To go with his test average of 20 and FC average of 18. This was a bowler who pretty much never bowled a bad spell. Wasim was arguably more exciting and obviously had a few more tricks up his sleeve but I don't think he (nor anyone else) can match Garner for consistency. Which is what you want in an ODI bowler, really.

It's a tough comparison though, the game's changed so, so much, and ODI stats are rarely much use anyway. Comparing Wasim and McGrath might be a bit more interesting.
His ER is probably also a reflection of the times that he played in isn't it???? The runs per over had gone up massively post 95. Averaging less than 4 an over for the nineties and early 2000s is a big big achievement when first 15 over hitting became the norm (after SL 96 triumph).

McGrath was probably a better new ball bowler than Wasim but I am not sure anybody has bowled better than Wasim in the death overs.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well that's the thing- if batsmen were playing less aggressively (and they were), you'd expect him to be taking wickets less often than Wasim did to account for the fact that he conceded less runs. But that isn't the case, they both have the same strike rate. Garner managed to carry just as much of a wicket-taking threat as the all-time great bowlers of the late 90s and 00s, despite the fact that batsmen were much less inclined to play shots against him.

smash84

The Tiger King
Well that's the thing- if batsmen were playing less aggressively (and they were), you'd expect him to be taking wickets less often than Wasim did to account for the fact that he conceded less runs. But that isn't the case, they both have the same strike rate. Garner managed to carry just as much of a wicket-taking threat as the all-time great bowlers of the late 90s and 00s, despite the fact that batsmen were much less inclined to play shots against him.
makes sense.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Only 98. Took 148 wickets at 18.84, with economy 3.09. Three 5w hauls.
So how is he better then a player with 300 odd ODIs....( i don't remember the exact number of ODIs Akram played...) and more then 500 wickets...?

Or Murali for that matter...who probably beats Akram in those numbers....