• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2010

Ruckus

International Captain
Looking at what was left to come in after those 2 I can see why they bided their time before going for it.
With Smith and Hopes to come, with some more than handy tail-enders, I would have accelerated earlier.

If Clarke started hitting out at around the 36 mark, I think that would have been ideal. Very little chance Clarke, White, Smith, Hopes, Hauritz, Hastings, Starc and Mckay would all be dismissed.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
For the record, I would not have criticised Clarke had he actually hit Bowden in the head with his straight drive 4, rather than just missing him.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
With Smith and Hopes to come, with some more than handy tail-enders, I would have accelerated earlier.
You do have to admit it was hardly the greatest lower order of all time though. A twenty-one year old batsman at #6 playing his sixth ODI without a ODD ton to his name, an allrounder batting a place too high and a bowling allrounder on debut.

I think Clarke paced his innings really well today. We lost early wickets so he re-built until he'd formed a better platform and then accelerated towards the end at a good time. Could have perhaps accelerated slightly earlier but I think it was played pretty well. It shouldn't mask his recent crawls but I don't think any criticism of his innings is warranted given Australia's start.

Ruckus

International Captain
Clarke!!

White!!!!!

I swear people would still try find a way to criticise Clarke if he scored a ton in 50 in ODI cricket (would probs say he's scoring too fast...) Completely legitimate to criticise him for slow scoring etc. in numerous innings since the WC, but are people seriously trying to have a go at him here? So ridiculous.
Why is it so ridiculous? A SR of 80, which was around 70 or less for the majority of the time, is just not that impressive, especially considering the quality of the pitch (as White emphatically demonstrated at the end of play). His contribution was still good, but in a way it held the team back from getting a better total.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
84 without loss in the last five overs. Clarke and Australia judged that perfectly, and White executed beyond belief. :wub:
Think the opposite actually, White's innings makes Clarke's look much worse.

289/3 is usually a score that indicates a poor use of resources, especially in India.

Spark

Global Moderator
why is it so ridiculous? A sr of 80, which was around 70 or less for the majority of the time, is just not that impressive, especially considering the quality of the pitch (as white emphatically demonstrated at the end of play). His contribution was still good, but in a way it held the team back from getting a better total.
2/16.

Again - what White was doing was slogging. It's difficult to time boundaries in a more "conventional" risk-free manner on this pitch, which is the way you'll score middle-over boundaries.

Ruckus

International Captain
You do have to admit it was hardly the greatest lower order of all time though. A twenty-one year old batsman at #6 playing his sixth ODI without a ODD ton to his name, an allrounder batting a place too high and a bowling allrounder on debut.

I think Clarke paced his innings really well today. We lost early wickets so he re-built until he'd formed a better platform and then accelerated towards the end at a good time. Could have perhaps accelerated slightly earlier but I think it was played pretty well. It shouldn't mask his recent crawls but I don't think any criticism of his innings is warranted given Australia's start.
For the most part I agree with you. But thats the thing; it was a pretty good innings by Clarke which led to a pretty good score. With a little less caution, it could have been a great innings, with a great final score.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Would've been nice to see a bit more of Pujura in this series - nothing wrong with his List A record either so it's strange he's not here.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why is it so ridiculous? A SR of 80, which was around 70 or less for the majority of the time, is just not that impressive, especially considering the quality of the pitch (as White emphatically demonstrated at the end of play). His contribution was still good, but in a way it held the team back from getting a better total.
Crappola. Pitch wasn't easy to bat on.. Both openers struggled, Hussey had to work hard. White blazed fairly late based on the work Clarke and Hussey did.

Fair rock there from McKay.

Last edited: