• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2010

Spark

Global Moderator
White was awesome. I'm saying if White was in Clarke's position he would have upped the SR much earlier than Clarke who only started to life around the 43 over. This could easily have been a 350 innings with so many wickets in hand.
White would've played the same way as Hussey. There's only one way to get boundaries on this pitch and that's slog.

We probably would've gotten 320 (or we might've been 250/7) but 350 - doubt it.

I await various blerts now saying White should be in the test side.:laugh:
Haha I think you'll find you're late on that.

Ruckus

International Captain
White would've played the same way as Hussey. There's only one way to get boundaries on this pitch and that's slog.
Hussey played alright as well. SR of 89 is pretty decent. But White's SR is 181, no chance it would have ended up at 89 if he came in earlier. Maybe around 120-130.

Spark

Global Moderator
Hussey played alright as well. SR of 89 is pretty decent. But White's SR is 181, no chance it would have ended up at 89 if he came in earlier. Maybe around 120-130.
Hussey knocked around singles.

White would have done the same if he had any sense. You just don't slog during the 25th over.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, since the WC, he's averaged a mere 41 at a S/R of 71, as opposed to his overall career avg of 43 at 77. Massive drop off! :ph34r:

Batting records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com
You're accounting for his post-WC crawl in his career stats though - he was averaging 46 at a strike rate of 83 after the World Cup. Suddenly going from striking at 83 to striking at 71 is a pretty drastic change, particularly at a time where strike rates are on the incline. After 49 ODIs his strike rate was actually 89 - it's been sinking further and further as he's progressed.

I have no issue with his innings today but he definitely has been too slow on occasions of late. He's not going to push on and get a ton every time.

Last edited:

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Just shows why Aussies are still #1 in ODI's.. sooo much bench strength. It seems like there plan in the sub continent is to keep wickets in hand and accelerate at the end. Did that a lot on that 09 tour as well.

Ruckus

International Captain
Hussey knocked around singles.

White would have done the same if he had any sense. You just don't slog during the 25th over.
I never said you do. But it is less than ideal to leave it to the 43 over or so, as Clarke did, with 7 wickets in hand - which was my whole point to begin with.

This turned out to be a good total (albeit, not great; anything less than 300 on these pitches has a good chance of being matched), but it could have been a knock-out innings if Clarke upped the scoring rate earlier.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dhoni ****ed up big time. Released the pressure by bowling Yuvraj and Raina so much in those middle overs and allowed Hussey and Clarke to build and build, and White capitalized with all those wickets in hand at the end. Should have been more proactive in terms of looking for wickets.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You're accounting for his post-WC crawl in his career stats though - he was averaging 46 at a strike rate of 83 after the World Cup. Suddenly going from striking at 83 to striking at 71 is a pretty drastic change, particularly at a time where strike rates are on the incline. After 49 ODIs his strike rate was actually 89 - it's been sinking further and further and he's progressed.

Great clarification. A good way in which interpreting stats properly shows the facts and gives a true indication of how he's batted recently.

Spark

Global Moderator
You're accounting for his post-WC crawl in his career stats though - he was averaging 46 at a strike rate of 83 after the World Cup. Suddenly going from striking at 83 to striking at 71 is a pretty drastic change, particularly at a time where strike rates are on the incline. After 49 ODIs his strike rate was actually 89 - it's been sinking further and further and he's progressed.

This. There really is no other way to put it. Up til the WC - he was brilliant. Post - he was terrible.

Hopefully his performances this year signal a revival.

Spark

Global Moderator
Just shows why Aussies are still #1 in ODI's.. sooo much bench strength. It seems like there plan in the sub continent is to keep wickets in hand and accelerate at the end. Did that a lot on that 09 tour as well.
Wait until the bench players actually play/perform first before saying that. Clarke, Hussey and White are all first-choice players.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I never said you do. But it is less than ideal to leave it to the 43 over or so, as Clarke did, with 7 wickets in hand - which was my whole point to begin with.
Looking at what was left to come in after those 2 I can see why they bided their time before going for it.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Wait until the bench players actually play/perform first before saying that. Clarke, Hussey and White are all first-choice players.
lol I'm sure you guys have pacers bowling in domestic Cricket who are better than our international pacers. Batting wise India are still pretty solid but our bowling is trash.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Clarke!!

White!!!!!

I swear people would still try find a way to criticise Clarke if he scored a ton in 50 in ODI cricket (would probs say he's scoring too fast...) Completely legitimate to criticise him for slow scoring etc. in numerous innings since the WC, but are people seriously trying to have a go at him here? So ridiculous.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
lol I'm sure you guys have pacers bowling in domestic Cricket who are better than our international pacers.
Several.

That said, Australia probably don't have as many quicks better than Sharma than India have spinners better than Hauritz.

Spark

Global Moderator
Clarke!!

White!!!!!

I swear people would still try find a way to criticise Clarke if he scored a ton in 50 in ODI cricket (would probs say he's scoring too fast...) Completely legitimate to criticise him for slow scoring etc. in numerous innings since the WC, but are people seriously trying to have a go at him here? So ridiculous.
I would remind you he was striking at 60 at one stage.

Mind you, I've just seen that we were in the pits at the start of the innings so I suppose I was a bit harsh there.

Certainly no qualms with his batting past 50.