• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most successful cricketer of all time?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Well, it might be a good question. What would people rather have? A career like Ponting's or Gilchrist's where they win proportionately a crapload of matches, or win proportionately much less than that but draw a lot more?

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
He also lost to NZ in 79.
No. He was not part of the acrimonious NZ tour of 79-80. The only series Richards lost was, I repeat, the 75-76 series in Australia. For a career spanning 17+ years, that is a mighty mighty achievement.

bagapath

International Captain
Well, it might be a good question. What would people rather have? A career like Ponting's or Gilchrist's where they win proportionately a crapload of matches, or win proportionately much less than that but draw a lot more?
McGrath played in five losing series in SL, Ind (twice), Pak and Eng and in four drawn series. Viv lost only once in Australia and was involved in seven drawn series. I think Viv is probably better off in this regard. Would like to hear from others if they think differently.

Slifer

International Captain
This is in response to Ikki, Alot of the WI draws (most of them actually) could have been wins (and a few loses) were it not for rain etc. Unlike today there was never the option of making up overs lost to weather. If ne thing it were other teams trying to draw with the Wi .

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
McGrath played in five losing series in SL, Ind (twice), Pak and Eng and in four drawn series. Viv lost only once in Australia and was involved in seven drawn series. I think Viv is probably better off in this regard. Would like to hear from others if they think differently.
Then Viv's got to be in this discussion also, and he's got the World Cup medals/performances as well.

sifter132

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Depends where the draws were as to how I value it. For me if you draw overseas, it's noteworthy. If you draw at home, you probably should have done better.

And let me add that as far as successful goes, here are the guys who never lost a Test match:
Rajesh Chauhan - India (1993-1997), 21 Tests, 12 wins, 9 draws, 0 losses
Eldine Baptiste - West Indies (1983-1990) 10 Tests, 10 wins, 0 losses

ODIs:
Rangana Herath - Sri Lanka (2004-2010), 9 ODIs, 8 wins, 1 N/R
Lonwabo Tsotsobe - South Africa, 8 ODIs, 8 wins

T20s:
Joginder Sharma - India (2007), 4 T20Is, 4 wins

Guys who never lost in any format (easier for the pre-ODI guys :)):
Sam Loxton - Australia (1948-1951), 12 Tests, 10 wins, 2 draws
Clive Radley - England (1978), 12 Tests, 10 wins, 2 draws
Colin McCool - Australia (1946-1950, 14 Tests, 10 wins, 4 draws

And one guy who hasn't lost or drawn thus far in any format:
David Miller - South Africa (2010), 4 ODIs & 2 T20Is, 6 wins

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
From my memory WI only drew one series at home in Vivs time 1988 to Pakistan. They well could have lost or even won that series depending on ones pov. In mcgraths time i only remember them drawing at home to NZL (left out the 2003 series at home to India when both Mcgrath ad warne were missing).

bagapath

International Captain
only to avoid bringing in these journeymen to the discussion, I suggested we should factor in their personal records as well. we should be talking about players of the caliber of bradman, marshall, mcgrath, gilchrist and richards; champion cricketers who were part of successful teams around the globe for a long time and also who contributed significantly to those successes.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bob Cowper

Averaged 46 with the bat in tests (including a triple hundred) and is a billionaire who lives in Monaco

I'd take that as a career

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Ironically, I love watching replays of McGrath now. A lot of the time I did think he tended to be a bit boring. Now watching his old games; I miss his action, his attitude, his intelligence, his accuracy...really miss watching him.

bagapath

International Captain
the great boring xi of the last 40 years

boycott, langer, dravid *, kallis, chanderpaul, collingwood, shastri, healy +, kumble, caddick, mcgrath

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I suppose Chris Tavare isn't great enough for that XI, but he'd outperform them all in the tedium stakes

Teja.

Global Moderator
the great boring xi of the last 40 years

boycott, langer, dravid *, kallis, chanderpaul, collingwood, shastri, healy +, kumble, caddick, mcgrath
Haha, I know it's probably not a very popular opinion, but Dravid, for me is the second best batsman to watch after Sanga in the last ten years. Extremely stylish bat IMO.

LJMJ

U19 12th Man
Haha, I know it's probably not a very popular opinion, but Dravid, for me is the second best batsman to watch after Sanga in the last ten years. Extremely stylish bat IMO.
Maybe 6 of the last 10 years. Dravid's been horrible since '06. His average has fallen from 58+ to just over 52 today.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
For whatever reason Dravid gave up the captaincy, rather than improve his batting, it has had the opposite effect.

sifter132

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
It's worth keeping in mind, but Warne has also succeeded at things McGrath hasn't, like winning the IPL with Rajasthan and transforming Hampshire into a perenially strong county team while he was there. It just proves that he has a bit of a Midas touch.