• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2010-11

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
There's a difference between thinking Davies shouldn't be picked, and recognising that he is the best person to do a specific job should the manager decide to play in a certain formation/style.
My reaction was more at how low our stocks are that he's got a call up. However having thought about it, I can see how it does make sense from a match-specific point of view.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
And as i said with Crouch already in, i dont see the need for a second target man in the squad, who can play in the same 4-5-1/4-4-1-1 formation, which he done many times for ENG in the past (although ENG should refrain from playing such formations). So its a poor selection by Capello on both a tactical & merit grounds.
Ah, the old "well, he's tall, therefore he must be a target man" idea.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
My reaction was more at how low our stocks are that he's got a call up. However having thought about it, I can see how it does make sense from a match-specific point of view.
If England want to play a Drogba style battering ram centre forward, Davies is the best man for the job, no doubt about it.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Was comparing Downing to SWP who's worse so whether he deserves a call up or not is irrelevant as SWP shouldn't.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
On basis of performances for England it is definitely arguable that SWP > Downing (which shows how bad Downing's been)

On basis of performances this season, SWP basically doesn't seem to have played whereas Downing has been a load of ****e so neither deserve a call up.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Downing had an excellent game against Stoke tbf. One good game becomes quite significant when comparing chlamydia to syphilis.

Also, BBC Sport - Football - Liverpool could face points deduction

Hahahaha.
Lol. Hicks & Gillette really are a pair of ****s tho, aren't they? They make the Glazers look like the offspring of Jack Walker and Roman Abramovich. I find it hilarious that the chairman they brought in to be their patsy has proved rather steelier than they anticapted. Stand to take a £177m hosing between them from what I've read. Their opposition to the sale sending Liverpool into hock would be their crowning glory.

Couldn't happen to nicer blokes.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Ah, the old "well, he's tall, therefore he must be a target man" idea.
Well obviously he is not go have the same physical presence up front like Davies or Heskey, that would out muscle most defenders, keep them occupied & thus creating space for the likes of Rooney, Gerrard to exploit. Which was so successfully during the WC 2010 qualifiers.

But both Coruch & Heskey/Dvaies offer the same focal point target up front (with Crouch being more of goal-scorer than both of them) - that inevitably will lead to long ball play. Such players & tactics as i mentioned before ENG need to move away from & make into last resort option, as they continue to build for EURO 2012 & beyond.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Keep them away from England, and the sense of having made it long before they've done so, for as long as possible.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think Holtby would be the one worthwhile poach, but sadly seems committed to Jerry. Fair enough, as he was born and raised there, but equally he's no less English than Hargreaves, Pietersen or Trott either.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Umm why? Because the Mail has told us he's great, and he's been in an advert. He's nowhere near the Sporting Lisbon first team. Seems a lot of hype over nowt, because he takes a nice pic.
I'm not saying he's the real deal yet or nothing. But the FA should certainly be keeping tabs on such players. Since if he is proven to be the real deal & ends up playing for Portugal, we all will look back & curse. Esepcially when our young future stocks in defense behind JT/Ferdinand isn't exactly that great ATS.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lol. Hicks & Gillette really are a pair of ****s tho, aren't they? They make the Glazers look like the offspring of Jack Walker and Roman Abramovich. I find it hilarious that the chairman they brought in to be their patsy has proved rather steelier than they anticapted. Stand to take a £177m hosing between them from what I've read. Their opposition to the sale sending Liverpool into hock would be their crowning glory.

Couldn't happen to nicer blokes.
Let's get serious, there is a lot of money at stake and they cant be expected just to walk without a fight

Tbh, I reckon that many of the Liverpool fans can be seen in just as bad a light - whether naive or just plain stupid, they dont own the club and much of their campaign has now been proven to be based on lies or misbeliefs

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Let's get serious, there is a lot of money at stake and they cant be expected just to walk without a fight

Tbh, I reckon that many of the Liverpool fans can be seen in just as bad a light - whether naive or just plain stupid, they dont own the club and much of their campaign has now been proven to be based on lies or misbeliefs
No want wants a £170+m screw job, but in Kop Holdings' articles of association (filed at Companies House and available to anyone who's sufficiently arsed to plough through dry legalese) Hicks & Gillette guaranteed the chairman to be allowed to appoint and remove any directors (except for themselves). As I understand it, it was a condition of their latest extention on the loans they'd secured from (the partially state controlled) RBS. Legally they don't appear to have a leg to stand on.

&, even if their last minute appointment of Hicks's son and his PA (classy touch that) to directorships is found legal (when things go to court never say never), RBS will foreclose on the loans, the holding company will go into liquidation & RBS will force through the sale anyway.

The Yanks are ****ed either way, but it delicious they've abandoned all pretence at noblesse oblige so flagrantly.

& I don't think the fans can be blamed at all; they were sold a tissue of utter horse**** when Tom & Jerry assumed control.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Think Holtby would be the one worthwhile poach, but sadly seems committed to Jerry. Fair enough, as he was born and raised there, but equally he's no less English than Hargreaves, Pietersen or Trott either.
Talk****e keep talking about this kid. Yet they fail to inform listeners he is winger with no pace, presently looks like a 11 year old and is so good he is sent on loan. Darren Gough on Talk****e said "Holtby is the most talented young footballer in Europe". :laugh: Nuff said.

Good to see the kid is loyal to Germany though. :)

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not saying he's the real deal yet or nothing. But the FA should certainly be keeping tabs on such players. Since if he is proven to be the real deal & ends up playing for Portugal, we all will look back & curse. Esepcially when our young future stocks in defense behind JT/Ferdinand isn't exactly that great ATS.
Phil Jones.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Talk****e keep talking about this kid. Yet they fail to inform listeners he is winger with no pace, presently looks like a 11 year old and is so good he is sent on loan. Darren Gough on Talk****e said "Holtby is the most talented young footballer in Europe". :laugh: Nuff said.

Good to see the kid is loyal to Germany though. :)
I don't pretend to follow German football to any exent, but Mainz are currently top of the Bundesliga, aren't they? Presumably he's doing something right. Current German U21 captain too, which also suggests some ability.

I'd like to get him purely because it'd be one over Jerry.