• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketing curmudgeons

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bob Willis always seems bored to death while he's commentating.

Flem274*

123/5
Bob Willis was a fantastic grumpy old bastard when he was down here in 2008.

Martin Crowe going the same way. His vow to come out of retirement if Skippy went to England was awesome, and his sheepish backpeddling the next day was even funnier. Also a very accurate descriptor of James Franklin's recent test batting as well.

NZ Guy

U19 Captain
Michael Holding is the definition of this, so tired of always hearing him go on about how terrible the modern way is, how T20 will ruin cricket, how bloody good he was, how fast he was and his partners ffs mate I bet you only cranked it to 140kph

Teja.

Global Moderator
Michael Holding is the definition of this, so tired of always hearing him go on about how terrible the modern way is, how T20 will ruin cricket, how bloody good he was, how fast he was and his partners ffs mate I bet you only cranked it to 140kph
Nah, He was lightning fast and he also happens to be the best commentator in the world atm IMO.

NZ Guy

U19 Captain
Nah, He was lightning fast and he also happens to be the best commentator in the world atm IMO.
Highly doubt it they just did not have the professionalism they do now, sure he may have been quick for back then but imo top pace wouldve been about 145-50, wouldve seemed quicker helmetless too

Furball

Evil Scotsman
But Holding's voice is ***y.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Although some of the older greats do have a habit of glorifying players that they played with in comparison to current day players, they do have many valid comments regarding the direction and condition of the modern game, and I can't but help agree with their pessimistic views and attitudes unfortunately

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, Holding certainly has a touch of the grumpy old bastard about him. Doesn't mean he's not a good commentator though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Holding tells it like it is. Cricket does have some very obvious problems at the moment; the fact that he points them out when relevant doesn't make him a curmudgeon.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Although some of the older greats do have a habit of glorifying players that they played with in comparison to current day players, they do have many valid comments regarding the direction and condition of the modern game, and I can't but help agree with their pessimistic views and attitudes unfortunately
I definitely think there's a distinction between those commentators and writers who call a spade a spade and don't act as cheerleaders than those who're professional grumps who think everything was better back in the day.

In the former camp I'd put chaps like Chappelli and, of the more recent retirees, Nasser Hussain. Neither are outright curmudgeons, but both are admirably unafraid to call things as they see it. Their brand of world-weary sardonicism acts as a welcome counterpoint to natural enthusiasts like Lawry or Bumble. Nasser's railing about the abysmal Pakistan fielding on the recently concluded tour was one of the highlights of Sky's coverage.

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I definitely think there's a distinction between those commentators and writers who call a spade a spade and don't act as cheerleaders than those who're professional grumps who think everything was better back in the day.

In the former camp I'd put chaps like Chappelli and, of the more recent retirees, Nasser Hussain. Neither are outright curmudgeons, but both are admirably unafraid to call things as they see it. Their brand of world-weary sardonicism acts as a welcome counterpoint to natural enthusiasts like Lawry or Bumble. Nasser's railing about the abysmal Pakistan fielding on the recently concluded tour was one of the highlights of Sky's coverage.
I was just saying that I do agree, to an extent, with the professional grumps. IMO, the game is definitely heading in a worse direction especially considering the current issues and that they aren't necessarily grumpy old men for saying so

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I was just saying that I do agree, to an extent, with the professional grumps. IMO, the game is definitely heading in a worse direction especially considering the current issues and that they aren't necessarily grumpy old men for saying so
I for one don't think you need to be a dyed in the wool sourpuss to despair of the sport from time to time; obviously no-one is going to be happy about spot-fixing or ball-tampering.

For me one of the easiest ways to spot a proper curmudgeon is their habit of talking down other players to present themselves in a better light. Like Bedi always doubting the probity of Murali's action or Bradman's niggardly refusal to give Larwood his due.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I for one don't think you need to be a dyed in the wool sourpuss to despair of the sport from time to time; obviously no-one is going to be happy about spot-fixing or ball-tampering.

For me one of the easiest ways to spot a proper curmudgeon is their habit of talking down other players to present themselves in a better light. Like Bedi always doubting the probity of Murali's action or Bradman's niggardly refusal to give Larwood his due.
tbf I'm sure Bradman disliked Larwood on a personal level so is a bit different

Yeah like I mentioned before, you can tell when they constantly prop up players of their own era that they have a chip on their shoulder, but criticism of the current game is fairly valid IMO and not just an indication of general grumpiness - not just match fixing either

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's a definite distinction between a genuine Grumpus Rumpus and someone who criticises stuff that sucks. Holding's ranting about the Stanford incident was a case of the latter but when Boycott goes nuts at the sheer irresponsibility of someone getting out caught at deep midwicket in the 47th over of an ODI you know he fits snugly into the curmudgeonly camp.