• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2010-11

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Henry is a legend of the game and will be remembered as such IMO. He definitely should have won a WPOTY award during his peak. In 02-03 he was above everybody else - 30+ goals, 20+ assists. He was a freak.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Henry is a legend of the game and will be remembered as such IMO. He definitely should have won a WPOTY award during his peak. In 02-03 he was above everybody else - 30+ goals, 20+ assists. He was a freak.
He flat-tracked bullied and was made the focus of every attack. Suarez scored about 500 last season for Ajax. It really doesn't matter that much.

If Chief Cheateur was really a legend (which he blatantly isn't) then they'd bang on about him at Barcelona. They'd say he was a great on Spanish and German forums. But they won't, odd lunatic aside. People on here still talk about Zidane despite him never actually played over here on a regular basis. The true legends will stand out wherever they go on the greatest of stages and will be remembered. Chief Cheateur was just another player/bench warmer at Barca. He played a lot of games for France but never actually did a great deal as a player, the biggest thing he did was cheat against Ireland then kick up his PR bull**** a notch. Zidane almost single-handedly carried France's attack for a decade or so.

Craig

World Traveller
Another story in Italy suggests that Inter president Massimo Moratti has agreed in principle to sell Mario Balotelli to Citeh for €35m. He would fit in perfectly with scaly's 'CDM' tag, turns up to training when Mario Balotelli feels like it (ie late, and is sure as hell never early) and is a heads case. In the Champions League semi final first leg, guys like Cambiasso and Eto'o were constantly going up to Balotelli and telling him to calm down as he was losing the plot and not doing what Mourinho asked him to do.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Might appreciate a home crowd that doesn't racially taunt him I'd reckon.

Would still prefer Dzeko personally but Ballotelli's upside is amazing.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Scaly's right, Henry isn't a legend of the game. He's was a bloody good player, one the best at the time, and Arsenal did well with him in the team. But listing all those team titles, nice n all, but hell, Wes Browns won more in that time! (wiki only lists 5, but was given a medal for 09 i believe, also missed a medal in 2000 due to injury)

He'll go down as an Arsenal legend, and France will remember him highly, so will the Premiership, probably. But he wont be a legend of the game, the same as English greats like Lineker and Shearer wont be, because none of them captivate the world the way Pele, Maradona, Best, Zidane, Cruyff did... Even as a Utd fan I'll admit Giggs and Cantona probably wont be lauded by kids around the world in 20 years time (though will be in Manchester)

You dont have to win lots to become a legend, look at Best as a prime example. Legends have that something (a certain va-va-voom???) that fires the imagination.... Henry doesnt quite reach those heights worldwide.
Definitely a legend of his generation though. Few greats transcend eras the way someone like Maradona or Zidane.

Craig

World Traveller
Do Arsenal have any grounds to report Barcelona to UEFA/FIFA over their attempts to sign Fabregas (by more or less trying to unsettle him and make Arsenal sell him)?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Getting UEFA/FIFA to punish the spanish clubs would require clinching evidence. I think Arsenal can report Barca based on the comments made by the club staff,but i doubt any action more than a fine will be taken.
And neither Barca or Cesc will appreciate this action .

Btw,Barca are following the exact model followed by Real Madrid for so many years in terms of publically unsettling players.
They were worse with Cristiano Ronaldo for 3/4 years prior to last summer when he was finally sold. Every member of their playing or non playing staff except perhaps the tea lady had commented on how they wanted Ronaldo and even asked him to force a move. United even at one point threatened to report them but nothing deterred them.
And it was lucky barcelona did not have one of the loony spanish elections ,as Rosell was already certain to be elected as president after Laporta. In those elections all the managers as well as players are promised by the candidates and contacts and even agreements are made with those players without the permission of the club,as they are only candidates and not acting for the club.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Btw, How can Barcelona afford to Buy Cesc after they have bought Villa and that too after taking a loan to meet the running costs of the club and to pay the wages of the current players?

Craig

World Traveller
Getting UEFA/FIFA to punish the spanish clubs would require clinching evidence. I think Arsenal can report Barca based on the comments made by the club staff,but i doubt any action more than a fine will be taken.
And neither Barca or Cesc will appreciate this action .

Btw,Barca are following the exact model followed by Real Madrid for so many years in terms of publically unsettling players.
They were worse with Cristiano Ronaldo for 3/4 years prior to last summer when he was finally sold. Every member of their playing or non playing staff except perhaps the tea lady had commented on how they wanted Ronaldo and even asked him to force a move. United even at one point threatened to report them but nothing deterred them.
And it was lucky barcelona did not have one of the loony spanish elections ,as Rosell was already certain to be elected as president after Laporta. In those elections all the managers as well as players are promised by the candidates and contacts and even agreements are made with those players without the permission of the club,as they are only candidates and not acting for the club.
And that is why I hate Real Madrid. I'm just hoping that the debts become too much and the whole league goes arse up. Real Mallorca have been kicked out of the Europa League with more €70m worth of debt.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Btw, How can Barcelona afford to Buy Cesc after they have bought Villa and that too after taking a loan to meet the running costs of the club and to pay the wages of the current players?
Because they're Barcelona and so can do anything they want.

If it were a British club doing similar, Platini would be bleating about financial responsibility.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
It's because they're smarter than you think. The loan is meh really. They can easily afford Cesc.

chalky

International Debutant
Going to my first game this (pre) season Dirty Leeds at home, am suprisingly excited about it. We hve given Leeds half of the ground so expecting a fair few of them to travel up should be a decent atmosphere.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Do Arsenal have any grounds to report Barcelona to UEFA/FIFA over their attempts to sign Fabregas (by more or less trying to unsettle him and make Arsenal sell him)?
It's the most outrageous tapping up ever. And the fact that FIFA had the nerve to post a story about Xavi coming out and saying "we only have Cesc on loan for a season". WTF.
This is the leading governing body of the sport publicly advocating Barca's tactics. Was ****ing ridiculous.