• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh in England

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think you'll see much progress if they're playing in typical English conditions. They are getting increasingly competitive at home.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Siddons may have done some good things but he still hasn't got a clue about sorting out a decent batting order.Mahmudullah at 8,what is that all about?
Can't pin that on him! Surely the final decision re: batting order is a job for the captain? Has always been that way in my experience.

Pothas

I don't think you'll see much progress if they're playing in typical English conditions. They are getting increasingly competitive at home.
Yeah when the sun was out and Tamim was on fire they looked like they had come on leaps and bounds, soon as that cloudcover came over and they looked worse than useless.

Think that says a lot about England as much as Bangladesh mind, and plenty of other sides would have struggled in those conditions, although not to the extent we saw on Sunday.

flibbertyjibber

Can't pin that on him! Surely the final decision re: batting order is a job for the captain? Has always been that way in my experience.
Yes you can pin that on him when his captain is so inexperienced.You are so blinkered by loyalty to him that you can't see what is staring you in the face that he has made basic errors despite overall improving the team.If he got the batting order sorted they would improve even more,to not do it and hold them back has to be the fault of the coach.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Id be suprised if that was the case. Id assumed the days of captains setting batting lineups at international level was long gone. I could be wrong though and maybe if differs by country.

Top_Cat

Yes you can pin that on him when his captain is so inexperienced.You are so blinkered by loyalty to him that you can't see what is staring you in the face that he has made basic errors despite overall improving the team.If he got the batting order sorted they would improve even more,to not do it and hold them back has to be the fault of the coach.
TBH, I don't think Bangladesh's failures with the bat have much to do with who's coming in next. They have far greater problems with the moving ball, for example. Reject completely that batting order is holding them back that much.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Id be suprised if that was the case. Id assumed the days of captains setting batting lineups at international level was long gone. I could be wrong though and maybe if differs by country.
Probably right but blaming Siddons alone is ridiculous. At the very least, it's a group decision.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
under cloud cover Pakistan blew Aus out for 127 in their home conditions.People need to give Bangla a break, these days none of the sides look good when they are made to play in more bowler sporting conditions.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Squad's been picked for the ODi's:

Strauss, Anderson, Bresnan, Bell, Broad, Collingwood, Kieswetter, Morgan, Pietersen, Sidebottom, Swann, Wright and Yardy

Interesting to see Bell in the squad. I'm glad he's in contention, as he's played well for Warwickshire for the last 2 seasons, but I'd still prefer to see Steven Davies or even Jonathan Trott in ahead of Bell TBH. The likely XI I'd have thought will be:

Strauss *
Kieswetter +
Pietersen
Collingwood
Morgan
Wright
Yardy
Swann
Broad
Anderson/Bresnan (depending on Bresnan's fitness)
Sidearse

As expected really. Basically the same as the T20i WC winning side just with Strauss in there instead of Lumb. I see Bresnan playing ahead of Anderson if he's fit too.

91Jmay

International Coach
Good team IMO, i prefer Strauss ahead of Lumb in 50 over cricket. He is actually a fairly decent 50 over player (Strauss that is).

Strong bowling attack as well.

Shoggz

School Boy/Girl Captain
Bell did look particularly (and surprisingly) good on the TV last night - hitting the ball over the top with alacrity.

91Jmay

International Coach
Bell is a square peg in a round hole at number 6 in an ODI team IMO, he wouldn't hit enough boundaries to push the run rate on (which is the number 6's job in an ODI team).

Yardy's bowling will be useful in the ODIs and his batting is just added value.

Luke Wright looked in decent nick when i saw him the other day, he has done nothing to warrent him being dropped.

Jarquis

Uhh... seriously how can the selectors justify leaving out both Trott and Davies, two of the best and most consitent domestic Limited Overs players for the past few seasons.
Davies gets one T20I, top scores and is binned.
Trott plays one dodgy innings when he was in shocking form and gets binned.
:blowup:

91Jmay

International Coach
It is only a 13 man squad though, can you genuinly justify dropping two batsmen from that squad? Whats Luke Wright done to deserve to be dropped? You cannot simply jettison him because Trott has excellent domestic form, when he hasn't done anything wrong himself.

Davis I feel is an excellent player but Kieswetter has to be ahead of him. I really don't see how anyone can justify dropping him after the T20 W.C. The suggestion is laughable.

Strauss, Anderson, Bresnan, Bell, Broad, Collingwood, Kieswetter, Morgan, Pietersen, Sidebottom, Swann, Wright and Yardy

I can't see how any squad could be changed there other than Bell for one of Davies/Trott.

91Jmay

International Coach
Thats a fair shout i suppose, but the problems that could cause for the test team (which is always my main priority) is just not worth thinking about to be honest. If Andrew Strauss just relinquished control of the ODI team and it had no effects on the Test outfit i'd be fine with him going but i think the effect would be adverse.