• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh in England

Sir Alex

Banned
Spineless stuff from Bangladesh indeed. They couldn't have asked for better preparation imho. Tamim was head shoulders, arms, feet above everyone else. Bowlers were largely pathetic except for Shakib Al Hasan, who tried his best. Other guys had some good sessions and that's that.

Some of the players have become so much part of a losing culture, like Mohammad Ashraful, and the sooner he is kicked out permanently the better for Bangladesh.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
I've given up trying to understand the selection, the shots they play and the batting lineup that they're trying. Obviously it's not working and yet they still persist with the same personnel (my god Ashraful is still there) and still Mahmudullah is still at 8. What a farce.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Averaging close to 54 since his recall Bell. Granted that includes four Tests against Bangladesh but he's doing everything right.

Getting it in early, he's gonna destroy that bunch of jokers that Australians like to call bowlers this winter.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yea feel sorry for Mahmudullah, has a decent enough record with the ball and for some reason Shakib wants to bowl in tandem with a toothless limited overs darter who bowls the same left-arm variation. Then he bats in such hopeless situations when the guy again has a decent enough record and is a lot more solid than virtually the rest of the batting line-up.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bangladesh need to concentrate on home Tests and tours against county sides so they can learn these sorts of conditions in quieter settings against teams they've got a chance against.
Get them to come over here and put them in Div 2 for a year.Only way for them to improve.

As for the game,Finn was impressive again,not enjoyed watching a young English fast bowler as much EVER despite the weak opposition.This kid could be very good.Shahzad has far more to work with than Bresnan and Anderson showed once more in the correct conditions he is deadly but if he doesn't get them he is useless.

flibbertyjibber

Rahim and Mahmudillah should bat 3 and 5 imo, with shakib at 4.
No,leave Siddique at 3 but have them at 4,5 and 6 and take the gloves off Rahim to give him more responsibility with the bat.Also there has to be a better gloveman in the country than him.

Also pick Naeem Islam at 7 as he can bat has a good temperament and can also bowl a bit of spin if they need it.

Scaly piscine

Shakib is too high as it is. Given the workload and that he keeps wanting to attack everything he should be a 7 or 8.

flibbertyjibber

Ok stick Naeem at 6 and Shakib 7 with a decent keeper at 8,stick Shafiul and Shahadat + another bowler at 9,10 and 11.Job done.

Sack Siddons and appoint me.:laugh:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Get shot of Shakib as captain. Has the potential to be a genuine test all-rounder but his captaincy is sub-dire at times. Dunno what his problem with Mahamudullah is either, but seems loth to bowl him at times (and he bats way too low as well, but can't totally blame Shakib for that).

Quite a few positives to take out of the mini-series for us, I think. Shahzad looks to have potential, all that batsmen got runs ('cept Cook who got a coupla ropey decisions on the first test) & Finn looks a real discovery. Not ligtening, but gets excellent bounce and carry. Think he's possibly persuaded the selectors to put Harmy back into the cupboard permanently now.

Pothas

Finn the big posotive certainly, think he will have a good series against Pakistan as well which will ensure him a place for the ashes.

Just wish he would stop falling over, worries me every time.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
I say make Rahim the captain, and promote him as a batsman. I think he has the temperament to suceed in both counts, and I've felt that since I first saw him play.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
For England it is nice to get a run out on the park and get a game or two of cricket but I dont think it is possible to read anything from the games against Bangladesh.

Shahzad did well for debut but Im not convinced the balls he bowled for his wickets would have troubled a decent batsman. He probably is a good bowler at the tail but I see him going for plenty against a half decent top order.

Finn is encouraging but he, as he admits himself, is a work in progress. He will not add any pace so I think he is spot on that he needs to focus on bowling fewer 4 balls.

Once you break the maths down it is amazing. Lets assume a bowler at Test level takes a wicket every 48 balls (an that is more than decent) then all that is needed to take an average down from 30 to 26 is one less ball being hit for 4 every 8 overs. Its a small difference that makes a big change.

Anyway, as I said, its not possible to read much into it but a nice tune up.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Out of interest, why'd you not think that Finn will add and pace, Goughy?
Because it generally doesnt happen that often. Occasionally it does but if you want to be disappointed in cricket then the best best is to hope guys in their early 20s add a chunk of pace. Everyone wants it for all bowlers but it isnt easy or probable.

Last edited: