• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Eoin Morgan, Next Kevin Pietersen in the making??

Prad100w

U19 Cricketer
The kind of stroke player he is reminds me of the the early days of Kevin Pietersen when he burst on to the one day arena in South Africa. And the kind of performances he has been putting up gives us a good case to think so. What do you guys think?

Woodster

International Captain
The kind of stroke player he is reminds me of the the early days of Kevin Pietersen when he burst on to the one day arena in South Africa. And the kind of performances he has been putting up gives us a good case to think so. What do you guys think?
Yes there are obvious differences in their styles, and while KP's impact was instant, Morgan is developing into an excellent ODI player. The interesting thing for me is whether Morgan can have a similar impact in Test cricket. His first-class is decent, without being outstanding, having not seen a great deal of him for Middlesex in the CC, am wondering why his form in four-day cricket is not good enough to really be pushing for a Test place.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Currently England's best limited overs cricketer. Uppercut should bump his Eoin Morgan is crap thread. :thumbup:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There is pretty much absolutely no way that Morgan has the chance of being anything other than a good batsman, in ODIs and hopefully Tests as well. Pietersen, well, I still hold-out hope that he can be a truly excellent batsman in both ODIs and Tests, but he's currently going though the worst slump of his career and in such circumstances it's often difficult to see where the next run's coming from. As and when he's back, then we'll talk again.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
may be, because both of them are not English
Haha that's what I thought when I read the thread title; 'bloke from different country comes to play for England and is better than any of the guys in the current side'.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Of course the English system has had nothing to do with either of their successes.

The_roc

U19 Captain
He's looked confident ever since his first knock (unlike Bopara who never looked comfortable).

There will always be a discussion on whether he should be in the team, but a hard hitting midle order batsman is just what we want.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Wonderful wrists. Something almost subcontinental about the way he plays his sweeps and paddles. Manipulates the ball much more ably than the average English (yes, yes, he's Irish...) player.

Given he attributes this to his background in hurling I reckon we should follow AFL's lead and start to recruit straight from the GAA. :ph34r:

In all seriousness, pleased he's doing well (and pleased Kieswetter knocked a ton yesterday too) but the lack of native-raised talent coming thru is mildly worrying.

King Pietersen

International Captain
He has all the natural attributes to be a top class ODi finisher for years to come. He can come in in the middle overs and manipulate the spin bowling with his sweeps and dabs, but can also come in at the death and smash bowlers out of the ground for 6. He has shots all-round the ground, and given his un-orthodox batting style he must be very hard to bowl, and set a field to. Just hope he keeps up his good start, definitely looked like the most promising batsman we've had in the ODi side since Pietersen.