• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Zimbabwe in West Indies

Woodster

International Captain
I was surprised when they opted to send Ramdin out during the powerplay, surely this was perfect for Dwayne Smith to go out and tee-off, to get the run rate down to a more acceptable rate. May or may not have worked, but would have thought a better option than Ramdin trying to work it around.

The WI should have had it in the bag, decent knock from Chanderpaul who got them much closer than it was looking at one stage, with some innovative reverse sweeps, and nicely struck boundaries straight and through covers. Pollard was a disappointment, he is such a strong and powerful hitter down the ground, yet he wants to play little cuts and deflections. Important to rotate the strike, but use your power areas more! He reminds me of Flintoff when he bats like that, Freddie looked woeful when he tried batting like Pollard did today, but a totally different player when hitting strongly through the 'V'.

Fifty-plus scores for Gayle, Barath, and Chanderpaul but none of them seeing their side home will be disappointing, but so will the ineptitiude of some of the end of innings brainless batting.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And Ramdin knows that and makes no effort at all to improve his game. What have we got to lose by dropping him for a short period of time in ODI cricket? The replacement can't play worse than Ramdin did today and it will let Ramdin know his performances have been unacceptable.
Actually there's a lot of evidence that Ramdin has improved his game. He's a better wicketkeeper now, and he couldn't possibly improve more than he has in domestic cricket. I mean, if he was dropped that's the only place he could go to improve anyway. And he owned it this season. There's a very real possibility that he's just not good enough, and therefore dropping him is unlikely to do much good.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Fletcher would do a better job than ramdin, he doesn't act like he is above anyone. Ramdin is totally taking advantage of the situation, all he does is play the cut shot even if the the ball is on the leg stump. He is not trying to do better, doing the same thing over and over again to no success. WI need players who are willing to improve their game.

Ramdin is an awful cricketer.
Clearly you don't know much about Fletcher. Not only is he a poor batsman and poorer wicketkeeper, but some of the things he says show a definite lack of perspective. When he was scoring 30s last season he was talking about how good his form was, in view of a call-up. If Ramdin is crap, Fletcher is decomposed crap.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Why not give Jahmar Hamilton a chance? he got 182 runs in five innings this year and took more catches behind the stump than Ramdin did in the same amount of games
Coolly failing to note that Ramdin scored twice as many runs. The fact is that Ramdin's wicketkeeping is not under scrutiny, because it is world class. It's his batting that's the problem, and Hamilton has done absolutely nothing to suggest that he's any better than Ramdin with the bat.

Chubb

International Regular
Quality! When I first saw Shingirai's figures I thought he'd had a shocker, but fair play to him, those last two overs were pretty sound.

Chubb

International Regular
Thanks

"The schools' good standing amongst the list of educational institutions run by the state in Zimbabwe has been largely attributed to its observance of a long history of tradition that emphasis duty, moral character, respect for ones' elders, and a balance between academic and sporting achievements. Consequently, the school has produced a crop of young gentlemen that have had a disproportionate impact on their country and their region over the years."

It certainly comes out in his voice. I must admit (and I dont know why) I like the sound of an (Anglo) educated Black Zimbabwean accent. It is pleasing to my ears. More so than a White Zim accent or an educated Black SA accent.
The scholarship programme has done a huge amount for Sibanda et al; they've had opportunities they would never have got otherwise, and become handy cricketers in the process. It was a great idea.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Coolly failing to note that Ramdin scored twice as many runs. The fact is that Ramdin's wicketkeeping is not under scrutiny, because it is world class. It's his batting that's the problem, and Hamilton has done absolutely nothing to suggest that he's any better than Ramdin with the bat.
Well you said "no-one's as good a wicketkeeper as him" but the stats suggest otherwise, that's all i was saying, Hamilton's batting was getting better with each game he played, he got a 30 not out at first, then a 40, then he played a brilliant innings when his team was in trouble and got 98, holding off spinners in form like Kantasingh and Austin, the commentators were also full of praise for how well he batted, Hamilton is only 19 so he's also got room for improvement, Ramdin looks like he's reached his peak already.

Woodster

International Captain
Quality! When I first saw Shingirai's figures I thought he'd had a shocker, but fair play to him, those last two overs were pretty sound.
Yes kept his nerve very well in the end, especially when his first two balls of the last over went 6 then 4. Excellent comeback to remove Smith and Benn and ensure victory.

Will do Zimbabwe a world of good, to beat WI in a T20 is one thing, but it takes more qualities to do it in 50 overs, and tonight they did it. Spinners were disciplined enough, despite not getting a great deal of spin. WI batsmen will have to do much more to disrupt their rhythm on Saturday if they want to level the series.

morgieb

Zimbabwe win it! Gun, at least they've proven they can at least compete with test-standard sides.

Uppercut

Ramdin's wicket keeping overrated imo. Looks tidy but drops a fair few chances.

Nevertheless, he has to play.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Told you all Zim would win.

Called it :cool:

Btw, was this the most spin ever in an innings?

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
So Windie, geniune question, in hindsight, would you have still given players like Kraigg Brathwaite etc. a game?

Ilovecric

U19 Cricketer
"In the Australia series, I saw improvements in the likes of [Kieron] Pollard and Smith. To come here ... and the way they went about it, I must say I am very disappointed in those two guys and Ramdin,' Gayle said after the match. "Those guys were key for us and the way they went about it was a terrible display. It is very disappointing and sad to see how they went about it."

"When you do crap, it's definitely crap and there is no excuse," said Gayle. "Guys have to take responsibility out there in the middle. It is just sad and disappointing."

:laugh: I have never seen gayle publicly diss anyone, pollard shot was just wow .. I can't remember the last time I saw such a soft dismissal, Ramdin obviously wasted time and didn't score any runs and smith missed a straight one, in the prior over he played and missed like four balls.