• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Super 14 2010

freckleslol

School Boy/Girl Captain
Was at the Blues game tonight - Brett went really quiet after that opening burst and made error after error; Weepu dominated the show. Mathewson looked great though, and Joe seemed to do pretty well in the absence of the aerial game. Have to say Jane is fabulous in his positioning - almost every single Blues kick saw him in the right place. Great crowd at North Harbour too haha was sitting next to some fanatic canes supporters who got me on tv

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Not the most convincing victory from the Brumbies tonight but without both of their key signings in Giteau and Elsom, I'm sure they'll take the victory. I was disappointed in the Force who looked really weak on attack and offered little in imagination. Admittedly it didn't help that they lost Cameron Shephard and Bartholomeusz just before the match. First five looks particularly lacking in depth with Pretorius already gone. James O'Connor was impressive for the most part but made two crucial errors, the kick at goal with the score at 15-17, and then the missed tackle to let Huia Edmonds score the winning try.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Was at the Blues game tonight - Brett went really quiet after that opening burst and made error after error; Weepu dominated the show. Mathewson looked great though, and Joe seemed to do pretty well in the absence of the aerial game. Have to say Jane is fabulous in his positioning - almost every single Blues kick saw him in the right place. Great crowd at North Harbour too haha was sitting next to some fanatic canes supporters who got me on tv
The people sitting next to you sounded a better lot than the so-called Blues supporter next to me who was certain it was Luke McAlister playing at flyhalf for the Blues tonight. :laugh:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Just watched the Cheetahs vs Bulls game which was played this morning, highly entertaining - far more so than I expected anyway. Nine tries in all, one of which was within the first 30 seconds of the match, and even the lights went out! Given the Bulls had lost Habana I wasn't convinced about their attack this year before now but they've proven me wrong. The Cheetahs also look to have a much stronger side than last year and I'd actually be surprised if they repeat their placing at the bottom of the table.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeh agreed, thought the Reds had it in the bag after the penalty try. Don't think the Tahs really fully deserved a victory, they were very lacklustre until the final ten minutes.

Also a good match earlier at the new AMI Stadium that could've gone either way with 10 minutes to go. Decent performance from Michael Hobbs after Berquist's injury late in the first half, he had more impact for the Highlanders than Carter, who had a relatively quiet match, did for the Crusaders IMO. Impressed at the amount of running rugby, I think there were as few as 11 penalties issued in the entire match.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Just watched the Cheetahs vs Bulls game which was played this morning, highly entertaining - far more so than I expected anyway. Nine tries in all, one of which was within the first 30 seconds of the match, and even the lights went out! Given the Bulls had lost Habana I wasn't convinced about their attack this year before now but they've proven me wrong. The Cheetahs also look to have a much stronger side than last year and I'd actually be surprised if they repeat their placing at the bottom of the table.
Think it being 87°F+ meant a tight game was always going to be hard to achieve. Seemed at time both sides were intentionally trying to avoid contact but some fantastic tries and Habana's replacement looks a handy player.

Cheetahs should be a tough nut to crack at home if their core players stay fit. Got a solid scrum (though it didn't go very well last night), two fantastic loose forwards and a promising one in Ashley Johnson whilst they have Bosman marshalling the backs and two wingers of real quality in Nowke and Mapoe.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure if anyone caught the two Sunday morning games (or Saturday evening for those in a different timezone). Thought the Chiefs had blown it after Willison's try by conceeding a dumb penalty, only to receive a penalty of their own with 80 minutes played. I doubt the Sharks supporters will have been overly impressed with Keith Brown's performance throughout the match actually, with the two yellow cards to Smit and du Plessis and a number of breakdown/offside penalties - the majority of which I thought were valid. Besides the Blues in the first half in Albany, they were the only other side to really struggle with the new law interpretations. Not the greatest game in really difficult conditions with the match played in torrential rain for its entirety.

In the other match, the Stormers were excellent in the first half against the Lions, 26-6 at the break, so credit to the Lions (less Spencer) for showing good spirit in the second half. The Stormers' backline including Grant, Habana, de Jongh (who looks an excellent talent), Fourie and Joe Pietersen looked very strong, even if they were somewhat quiet in the second half.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Week One Points
Athlai 6
HeathDavisSpeed 6
Samuel_Vimes 6
Simon 6
Social 5
Somerset 5
TT Boy 5
Voltman 5
Ripper868 4
BoyBrumby 3

No one selected the Chiefs so theres a four-way tie for the lead with those that tipped the other six matches correctly. Brumby surprising fills the wooden spoon spot after week one. Just on the side, interesting that six of the seven victorious teams won away from home, doubt thats ever happened before in round one.

-----

Week Two Fixtures
Highlanders vs Blues
Reds vs Crusaders
Sharks vs Cheetahs
Lions vs Chiefs
Hurricanes vs Force
Bulls vs Brumbies
Stormers vs Waratahs

ripper868

International Coach
Week Two Fixtures
Highlanders vs Blues
Reds vs Crusaders
Sharks vs Cheetahs
Lions vs Chiefs
Hurricanes vs Force
Bulls vs Brumbies
Stormers vs Waratahs

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Highlanders vs Blues
Reds vs Crusaders
Sharks vs Cheetahs
Lions vs Chiefs
Hurricanes vs Force
Bulls vs Brumbies
Stormers vs Waratahs

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Knew that Chiefs match would be my falling point.

Highlanders vs Blues
Reds vs Crusaders
Sharks vs Cheetahs
Lions vs Chiefs
Hurricanes vs Force
Bulls vs Brumbies
Stormers vs Waratahs

Harder weak this time round, Chiefs have a big tour of SA now I believe, reckon they'll start strong. Highlanders to beat the Blues in a grudge match.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Highlanders vs Blues - the Gordon Hunter Memorial is ours!
Reds vs Crusaders
Sharks vs Cheetahs
Lions vs Chiefs
Hurricanes vs Force
Bulls vs Brumbies
Stormers vs Waratahs

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Week Two Fixtures
Highlanders vs Blues
Reds vs Crusaders
Sharks vs Cheetahs
Lions vs Chiefs
Hurricanes vs Force
Bulls vs Brumbies
Stormers vs Waratahs

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Only watched 2 games but as an Oz supporter I was thoroughly depressed after the Reds vs Waratahs - absolute amateur hour

Anyway, dart in the board time so here goes

Highlanders vs Blues - like 'em for no particular reason
Reds vs Crusaders - late at night with a glass (or eleven) of red and still I cant pick the reds
Sharks vs Cheetahs
Lions vs Chiefs
Hurricanes vs Force
Bulls vs Brumbies - country bias with no confidence
Stormers vs Waratahs - ditto

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
After tonight's match I may have to rethink my prediction about the Blues finishing in the top four,
The Cheetahs also look to have a much stronger side than last year and I'd actually be surprised if they repeat their placing at the bottom of the table.
10 Cheetahs
11 Blues
:whistling: ;)

Good result for the Chiefs, though I think that may be because the Sharks are due a real appalling season. We'll see how they cope with altitude but they've obviously got a nice tour schedule.

Highlanders vs Blues
Reds vs Crusaders
Sharks vs Cheetahs
Lions vs Chiefs
Hurricanes vs Force
Bulls vs Brumbies
Stormers vs Waratahs

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Good result for the Chiefs, though I think that may be because the Sharks are due a real appalling season. We'll see how they cope with altitude but they've obviously got a nice tour schedule.
The Sharks really struggled to adapt to the new law interpretations which was their major downfall on the weekend against the Chiefs. I wouldn't read too much into their lack of tries as the match was played in appalling conditions, so in more favourable weather and with another week to adapt to the laws I'd say they'll perform better.

Only Brumby left to tip this round so just a reminder.