• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah, there'll doubtless be a mildly questionable refereeing decision that they can blame instead.

Uppercut

That reminds me Burgey, Australia whined like absolute dogs when they went out to Italy last time!

...As did Ireland after the whole Thierry Henry thing. It's really not unique to England. But it's far more annoying when they do it because there's more of them and they have The Sun.

Craig

World Traveller
That reminds me Burgey, Australia whined like absolute dogs when they went out to Italy last time!

...As did Ireland after the whole Thierry Henry thing. It's really not unique to England. But it's far more annoying when they do it because there's more of them and they have The Sun.
It was foaming at the mouth type in the media. You should of been here when it happened, quite funny. So much so that Fabio Grosso became Fabian Grosso.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Fair enough too, we may not play football brilliantly but at least we play it upright. Don't forget, we had to sit up until 4am to see that happen :dry:

I still remember watching it with my mate (we were working in the ski fields)...was an exciting match and then that happens in the 90th minute. We just looked at each other and said "that's ****ed" before walking off to bed. Not together I should add.

To be honest though, if we had someone who could score a goal it wouldn't have mattered.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Why won't you be supporting Australia?
:laugh: Nah you not going to turn this thread into a debate about me. I stated my reasons for this since i came on this & its well documented by now. So if you dont know why, stay wondering..

duffer

Fair enough too, we may not play football brilliantly but at least we play it upright. Don't forget, we had to sit up until 4am to see that happen :dry:

I still remember watching it with my mate (we were working in the ski fields)...was an exciting match and then that happens in the 90th minute. We just looked at each other and said "that's ****ed" before walking off to bed. Not together I should add.

To be honest though, if we had someone who could score a goal it wouldn't have mattered.
Heh.

But on the rest of the post, I've seen our players in many sports "bend the rules" a fair bit so I wouldn't really by into the outright anger and all the other garbage that was directed at the Italian teams. Was distraught at the penalty but was more angry at the amateurish defending which led up to the goal.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

I think you blokes still have the "British" mindset, inasmuch as you consider kicking someone more virtuous than tumbling to the ground when you haven't been kicked. I mean, Lucas Neill's job is essentially putting the old size 11s into whichever attacker's ankles he happens to be near.

Son Of Coco

I think you blokes still have the "British" mindset, inasmuch as you consider kicking someone more virtuous than tumbling to the ground when you haven't been kicked. I mean, Lucas Neill's job is essentially putting the old size 11s into whichever attacker's ankles he happens to be near.
Exactly, and it was barbaric of Grosso to flick his ankles behind his ears so Lucas couldn't reach them.

Mr Mxyzptlk

As far as I could tell, Neill's challenge was so horrible that he was never going to make contact. I mean, anyone who knows anything about bad tackles knows that you have to crunch the ankle, at least.

And it was the worst kind of dive. The kind that's not even brave enough to draw contact first.

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

As far as I could tell, Neill's challenge was so horrible that he was never going to make contact. I mean, anyone who knows anything about bad tackles knows that you have to crunch the ankle, at least.

And it was the worst kind of dive. The kind that's not even brave enough to draw contact first.
I think that was the part that was so annoying, if he'd at least have made it look believable then maybe there would have been slightly less outcry about it. Although probably not...:happy:

What I find difficult to believe is that despite all the talk about stamping out diving, a bloke can flick his legs behind his ears and roll 25 times after being touched and the refs still hand him a penalty nine times out of ten. From personal experience, when you're tripped you don't end up in a position that looks remotely similar and you certainly don't roll over and over and over. You just hit the ground like a sack of **** basically.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Italians aren't the best at diving. They're just the biggest exponent of it.

Like England and the long ball.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Italians aren't the best at diving. They're just the biggest exponent of it.

Like England and the long ball.
Can't think of too many teams better at it than us, tbf. Jerry, perhaps.

We're underrated on the diving front tho; Rooney, Johnson & Cashley are all more than useful and Defoe, Lennon, Gerrard & Walcott no slouches either.

Status
Not open for further replies.