• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought Sancho looked rather dashing and manly.

And Crouch clearly a jealous lover:
They do like to gloss over incidents of Englishmen cheating here.

On the Grosso dive, I still think it was a foul. A foul's a foul regardless of how the fouled guy reacts, and that's one of the worst tackles I've ever seen. I'd probably have given the penalty then sent Grosso off for being a prat.

Mr Mxyzptlk

From my experience of English fans in my time living in England (all of which happened after the '06 WC) they didn't gloss over the cheating as much they took pride in "whipping" T&T 2-0. Apparently it's a big deal for England to beat a nobody nation 2-0, waiting 82 minutes to score the opening goal, due to a notable tug of the hair.

Even more interesting was the pride at beating us 3-0 in a friendly, where Kenwyne was crippled by James in the 3rd (?) minute and players like this guy were in the team. None of that was as bad as my Swedish friends sparing their blushes by genuinely believing they gifted us a 0-0 draw though.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
From my experience of English fans in my time living in England (all of which happened after the '06 WC) they didn't gloss over the cheating as much they took pride in "whipping" T&T 2-0. Apparently it's a big deal for England to beat a nobody nation 2-0, waiting 82 minutes to score the opening goal, due to a notable tug of the hair.

Even more interesting was the pride at beating us 3-0 in a friendly, where Kenwyne was crippled by James in the 3rd (?) minute and players like this guy were in the team. None of that was as bad as my Swedish friends sparing their blushes by genuinely believing they gifted us a 0-0 draw though.
Tbh that really didn't seem to be the case in the majority of circles imo, on here for instance, I remember the majority of the forum bemoaning how bad the performance had been.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Tbh that really didn't seem to be the case in the majority of circles imo, on here for instance, I remember the majority of the forum bemoaning how bad the performance had been.
I don't expect that was the case among Englishmen and women and children. But to the face of a Trini, in an attempt to belittle me, it certainly was. I lol'd and they wondered why.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't expect that was the case among Englishmen and women and children. But to the face of a Trini, in an attempt to belittle me, it certainly was. I lol'd and they wondered why.
Certainly hated watching that game as an England supporter. Naturally you go into the game expecting a few goals and end up just waiting for the goals. Pretty much the reason why watching Australia was much more fun as any result was possible on the day.

T&T as a whole came out of that WC with a massive load of praise, thanks to how much of a gun Shaka Hislop turned out to be again.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Shaka Hislop's godly display against Sweden, with 10 men ahead of him, and Dwight Yorke winning defensive player of the first round made it all worthwhile for me. A shame Latapy got virtually no gametime, though he did hit the crossbar in his 10odd minute cameo. It's a shame these are the pleasures I'll have to do without when aussie takes over.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Not clear if he is referring to contact with the ball or contact with the player puts me at a loss as well.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Whether it was a foul or not it was a stupid attempt at a challenge.

The rules do state that contact doesn't have to be made I believe, i.e. it's a foul if a player jumps out of the way

Uppercut

The rules do state that contact doesn't have to be made I believe, i.e. it's a foul if a player jumps out of the way
Yeah, they do. Attempting to trip is the same offence as succeeding.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Shaka Hislop's godly display against Sweden, with 10 men ahead of him, and Dwight Yorke winning defensive player of the first round made it all worthwhile for me. A shame Latapy got virtually no gametime, though he did hit the crossbar in his 10odd minute cameo. It's a shame these are the pleasures I'll have to do without when aussie takes over.
Absolutely love Russell Latapy. Fantastic player.

Last I heard he was involved in coaching with the national side, is he still involved in that?

Furball

Evil Scotsman

If a player jumps out of the way and successfully evades a potential leg breaking challenge, in my book it's still a foul.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If as a result you trip them up it almost certainly is though.
Naah, I've seen comical lower league defending where a defender has ended up basically lying on the floor in front of a player through a slip or a slide and unable to move once they're down there. Are you suggesting that if a player then runs over them that because they're on the floor it's a foul?

Status
Not open for further replies.