• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in Australia

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Tendulkar put away his cover drive when it was causing him to get out, for example in his 241 in Australia, not a single cover drive. If you can put away a cover drive, you can put away the pull shot.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't think arrogant is the right word to describe it.
Let's retrace the summer...
He was troubled by the pace of Roach, then hit on the arm and forced to retire hurt for the first time in his career. Since then he has been hopping around against the short ball and has thrown away his wicket twice in the last 3 innings playing the pull shot. The last time he was out first ball for a duck too. And then he comes out after an early wicket falls and goes for the ball before he's scored. Right. "Arrogance" is not the word?

Definitely some internal macho struggle going on.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year

He's not been great in the run scoring department lately and the pull is his signature shot so I tend to perceive it as an attempt to hit himself back into form through a shot that in the past has scored him countless runs but has failed him recently. He probably sees the quality of his pull shot as a mark of his batting form.
awta

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yeah, I know. But I don't think he should give up on it now. Just keep going, don't back down, play himself back into form. I don't buy all this about him being in some kind of terminal decline.
It's not about terminal decline, it's about putting one shot away until you're back in form.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Yeah, I know. But I don't think he should give up on it now. Just keep going, don't back down, play himself back into form. I don't buy all this about him being in some kind of terminal decline.
I think you're underestimating just how lucky Ponting was to get off the mark, let alone stay at the crease this long.

Top_Cat

Tendulkar put away his cover drive when it was causing him to get out, for example in his 241 in Australia, not a single cover drive. If you can put away a cover drive, you can put away the pull shot.
Not quite the perfect example as it's not as instinctive a shot. Point taken, though.

He's not been great in the run scoring department lately and the pull is his signature shot so I tend to perceive it as an attempt to hit himself back into form through a shot that in the past has scored him countless runs but has failed him recently. He probably sees the quality of his pull shot as a mark of his batting form.
Don't disagree entirely with you guys but, if you were his captain, wouldn't you be taking him aside and saying "Mate, pull your head in a bit?"

Uppercut

How about skying a pull when he's faced only a few balls? How about doing that when he's been out to the same shot multiple times this summer? Not very smart play.
He skied it down the throat of a Pakistani fielder. Easy single IMO.

Top_Cat

Let's retrace the summer...
He was troubled by the pace of Roach, then hit on the arm and forced to retire hurt for the first time in his career. Since then he has been hopping around against the short ball and has thrown away his wicket twice in the last 3 innings playing the pull shot. The last time he was out first ball for a duck too. And then he comes out after an early wicket falls and goes for the ball before he's scored. Right. "Arrogance" is not the word?

Definitely some internal macho struggle going on.
tbh, has been out on the pull quite a few times before this summer.

irfan

State Captain
Not quite the perfect example as it's not as instinctive a shot. Point taken, though.

Don't disagree entirely with you guys but, if you were his captain, wouldn't you be taking him aside and saying "Mate, pull your head in a bit?"
Exactly. Much more discretion has to be used. Only if it there is to pull, then pull .

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I think you're underestimating just how lucky Ponting was to get off the mark, let alone stay at the crease this long.
Not at all, he's definitely been lucky. I just feel that if he gets through to 20, he'll settle down. It's the last test of the series, worry about a technical overhaul later on.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha no way is it about him trying to play himself back into form. I love Rickeh, and will defend him to my grave, but you're dreaming if you think it's about anything other than pride, and doesn't smack of arrogance. Look at his dismissals this summer, and the numerous times he's had to respond to questions relating to his ability to play the short ball in the latter stages of his career.