• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Day/Night test cricket planned

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Personally I think this is a mistake, it's a massive change in the nature of the beast, there are so many issues haven't been addressed regarding dew etc. It could change team make up a lot, spinners could be such a gamble to pick. How will they divide sessions? It's something that if applied at certain grounds (e.g. Newlands) could be disasterous. Parity of stats could well go out the window. A big part of test cricket's appeal is it's aesthetic, will they still play in whites? Definitely think this is a big mistake.

Also night matches in May, it's hard enough for touring sides to adjust to the May cold as it is, also who in their right mind is going to sit through 90+ overs of test cricket in that kind of cold? Bear in mind this is hardly a big selling event to boot.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
the real question is...... how is the icc and eng and bang going to determine what is a successful d/n match..

measured success..
crowd numbers.
and a fair and competitive match.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
If the Tests are in June, it's not that much of an issue. In Glasgow it doesn't get properly dark until well after 10 o'clock - you could quite easily get play until 9 at night without much significant change in the way of lights.

Christ, even in April, most midweek European football games are played in daylight for at least part of the first half.

Polo23

International Debutant
Have they sorted out whether they can get a pink ball to last 80 overs yet? Seems a bit ridiculous as a "Test" if they keep having to change the ball.
I thought the issue was finding a ball that behaved the same as a red ball did during the day. Not a ball that lasted 80 overs.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
the real question is...... how is the icc and eng and bang going to determine what is a successful d/n match..
It's more an 'is it practical' experiment. They have to see whether it will actually work before issues such as crowd size can be considered.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Can only think of one person who actually cares about the distortion of test match statistics tbh.
You can add me to the list. I'm a sad bastard. I know it's wrong to judge a player by his stats, but I just love 'em. And I think that Richard and I aren't alone (and not just because we have each other :inlove:)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't think you can read too much into the viewing figures, of course they are going to be lower than 2005's, for one that was a series that was 2nd v 1st in the world and had captured the country's imagination through being excitement, secondly many more people have C4 than SS1. As for the highlights, they are crap, pretty sure that accounts for something.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Awesome idea.

Bangladesh agree to day-night Test in England | Bangladesh Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

What is the point in this anyway?

Why can the authorities never address the key issues?

1/ England and Australia are currently blowing off Ashes steam by playing a pointless 7 ODI's against each other

2/ Bangladesh and the West Indies don't count at the moment

3/ You won't fill a test ground, Ashes aside, when the cheapest ticket is 20 pounds
Point is to get more people interested and watching Tests. This is definitely one of the key issues.

1) I agree.
2) I agree.
3) Maybe, but night cricket will help. And other countries have problems filling ground with cheap tickets too. If its at night and people can go after work, that's a huge help. It also helps hugely and allows people to watch cricket after work.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think you can read too much into the viewing figures, of course they are going to be lower than 2005's, for one that was a series that was 2nd v 1st in the world and had captured the country's imagination through being excitement, secondly many more people have C4 than SS1. As for the highlights, they are crap, pretty sure that accounts for something.
It's some kind of decent free highlights programme that they really need to sort out.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, it's a shame BBC don't fancy at least highlights as they are the best positioned to give it some decent airtime, still at least they show decent sports like NFL

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My opinion is always going to be set in stone because the only reason I have an interest in cricket and play the sport is because I was caught up in the whole Ashes fever of 05. IMO a big part of the excitement was that anybody and everybody in the country could watch the action first hand if they so wished. So many people were drawn in by the fact that England were about to achieve something great, I was so desperate to play after the Ashes that I played on the playground with a tennis ball and shoe. There used to be about 20 of us all dying to play. That didn't happen this time round despite the series going to the last test with it all to play before because it wasn't as accessible for people. Approximately 80% of my friends don't have sky, myself included. The 20% that do aren't interested in watching the Ashes and then discussing it between themselves, a big part of '05 was that absolutely everybody was following it. We were all sat on the edges of our seats together. The 80% of my friends that don't have sky, or a prior interest in cricket aren't going to do as I did and follow it on TMS, Cricinfo or internet streams and nor should they have to if they want to watch the most important cricketing event worldwide.

Get it back on Terrestrial TV, get the country excited and we'll be better off for it. Participation and playing numbers would increase and that can only be better off for England in the long run.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My opinion is always going to be set in stone because the only reason I have an interest in cricket and play the sport is because I was caught up in the whole Ashes fever of 05. IMO a big part of the excitement was that anybody and everybody in the country could watch the action first hand if they so wished. So many people were drawn in by the fact that England were about to achieve something great, I was so desperate to play after the Ashes that I played on the playground with a tennis ball and shoe. There used to be about 20 of us all dying to play. That didn't happen this time round despite the series going to the last test with it all to play before because it wasn't as accessible for people. Approximately 80% of my friends don't have sky, myself included. The 20% that do aren't interested in watching the Ashes and then discussing it between themselves, a big part of '05 was that absolutely everybody was following it. We were all sat on the edges of our seats together. The 80% of my friends that don't have sky, or a prior interest in cricket aren't going to do as I did and follow it on TMS, Cricinfo or internet streams and nor should they have to if they want to watch the most important cricketing event worldwide.

Get it back on Terrestrial TV, get the country excited and we'll be better off for it. Participation and playing numbers would increase and that can only be better off for England in the long run.
This.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's no way the average cricket watcher cared any more about the Ashes because it was 2nd v 1st. The Ashes is always, always more important than the rankings, to everyone in the entire country. Australia were still the number one team here.

The fact that the cricket was less exciting contributes, but people didn't exactly know that already when they decided not to watch.

From where I stand, the cricket fanatic who doesn't have a single friend here who follows it, the fact that cricket's off terrestrial accounts for almost the entire drop in popularity. In 2005, people who previously had no interest in cricket whatsoever were talking about it regularly. This year, England have won the Ashes and no one remotely cares.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
People might not have known the rankings per se, but 2 V 1 did matter because the England team had been doing well. Therefore they had a lot of hype and there were whispers we might actually beat the Aussies. If we hadn't won 5 series in a row then the 2005 series wouldn't have got so much hype.

If we hadn't won in 2005, there would have been much more hype this year. "No-one cares" is an understatement anyway, but quite simply even if we'd won 5-0 and it had been broadcast on BBC1 it wouldn't have got the attention 05 did because that broke an 18-year duck.