View Poll Results: Should Test cricket run into night?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 50.00%
  • No

15 50.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Night Test cricket - why not?

Night Test cricket - why not?

In other words start matches at 2pm than run into twilight/night.

Miller has brought it up on cricinfo and I think Boycott advocated it not long ago.

Main advantage would be it'd be great for people after work, would still be able to catch a session either at the ground or on TV and pushing the match into prime-time would significantly raise those figures. Also bad light issues, one of the most annoying things in the game, would become finally redundant.

The obvious drawbacks are the red ball under light issues and breaking with tradition (and watching the Ashes in England from Australia would suck ).

Thoughts?
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    In other words start matches at 2pm than run into twilight/night.

Miller has brought it up on cricinfo and I think Boycott advocated it not long ago.

Main advantage would be it'd be great for people after work, would still be able to catch a session either at the ground or on TV and pushing the match into prime-time would significantly raise those figures. Also bad light issues, one of the most annoying things in the game, would become finally redundant.

The obvious drawbacks are the red ball under light issues and breaking with tradition (and watching the Ashes in England from Australia would suck ).

Thoughts?
    Yeah, why not.
    - No more bad light.
    - Get to see more of a days play after work/school.

And, you have pointed out the obvious drawbacks, so......

Still think its worth a shot. Maybe the first step will be allowing the use of lights and play going into the evening, before actually starting the match at 2pm or there abouts.

Can see too many issues regarding what happens on field, and it would affect what happens on the ground far too much.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Can't be done until they get a ball that doesn't discolour after about 30 overs.
    Nothing wrong with the idea though.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

There will be issues such as ball colour, as we found out in one Test in New Zealand. Usman Afzaal was too scared to take a high catch in the deep.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    If the issues with the ball are worked out, I see no problems with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

how long would it go on for? stop after 90 overs each day?

School Boy/Girl Captain
    as long as they don't use a pink ball, i will be happy. maybe they should try flourescent yellow....

in all seriousness though, one of the most important symbols of test cricket is the red ball and whites, playing at night toys with that.

however, the additional "test" provided by playing at night - namely different conditions, makes it feasible. AND if it can bring more crowds and more money to the game, why not.

i still think the most important change that test cricket can make is to completely eliminate flat, overly-batsman friendly pitches. wickets should be prepared such that every test will yield a result, barring miraculous heroics by either team or the weather. but, this is a topic for another day.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by unccricket View Post
    i still think the most important change that test cricket can make is to completely eliminate flat, overly-batsman friendly pitches. wickets should be prepared such that every test will yield a result, barring miraculous heroics by either team or the weather. but, this is a topic for another day.
    I've always found this attitude interesting because, seriously, we see way more results in Tests than we did 10 years and more ago. Pitches do seem to be a little flatter these days but the sheer pace of scoring means even if a team scores 500+, it can be chased-down and the game still won (Adelaide 2006/07, for example). Absolutely unheard of before 2000.

Whether it's still good cricket to watch is what's up for debate, for mine. A bat-fest with huge totals which gets a result still bores me if the bowlers are given nothing.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

still scratching around in the same old hole
    The concept is fine. The technicalities need to be worked out.

In all honesty (as I posted in a thread a couple of weeks ago), it may turn my stomach but there really isnt a good reason to keep Tests in whites.

It would allow the same kits and balls to be used for all cricket. Help build a far stronger brand image and recognition and allow for night Tests.

I dont like the idea, but its one of them that 10 yrs after the introduction everyone wonders what all the fuss was about.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    The hell with night test cricket, how was it you met Sophie Monk?

If they ever solve the problem with the ball, it's more the differences in conditions from day to night that would be the biggest sticking point. I think you'd find most teams wanting to bowl at night. Ian Healy made this point earlier this year:

"I can envisage the Adelaide Test match, Australia-Day weekend, as a day-night Test match," he said.

"I think that wicket is going to stay the most consistent from afternoon to evening. That's the one to pick. I wouldn't do it in Perth, I wouldn't do it in Brisbane because it would be too lively at night with the new ball".

Look at the issues, find it and fix it and give it a trial. We won't know otherwise.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    I know that commercial considerations are important but in England I hope it doesn't happen because test cricket is popular anyway

The main problem here is that the ball just doesn't behave in quite the same way from dusk onwards - although I suppose that in principle that's not really any different from the way conditions change when, say, the sun comes out on a grey overcast day I still think it would add something to the game I would rather leave out.

I don't know if other countries have the same problem however at the end of the day if playing at night is the only way test cricket will avoid being completely marginalised by 20/20 then I would, albeit somewhat reluctantly, accept that it must be tried.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    The hell with night test cricket, how was it you met Sophie Monk?
    Nothing to get too excited about. Work related and a one off. I had to deal with her. She was cute looking but I wouldnt say anything special but seemed nice enough during our conversation.

Certainly wasnt a bad day

As for night cricket. Im not convinced it should be done in the UK, but a change in ball would allow the lights to come on and get rid of bad light. That can only be a plus.
    Last edited by Goughy; 20-06-2008 at 12:49 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information