• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in England T20s and ODIs

howardj

International Coach
RE Power play

Agree with Nick Knight that the use of it should not be predetermined (i.e. we'll use it in the last 5 regardless). Rather, you should use it when you're on a roll and when your tops bats are in. If that's at the 20 over mark, then so be it.

I also think, you go big in the last 5 overs regardless of the field placings. Therefore, I don't think you should necessarily preserve your PP until then.

Bort

Cricket Spectator
RE Power play

Agree with Nick Knight that the use of it should not be predetermined (i.e. we'll use it in the last 5 regardless). Rather, you should use it when you're on a roll and when your tops bats are in. If that's at the 20 over mark, then so be it.

I also think, you go big in the last 5 overs regardless of the field placings. Therefore, I don't think you should necessarily preserve your PP until then.
Disagree entirely. One of your set top bats gets out first ball, then what? You don't want to be trying to go big in the middle overs with a new batsman in, its just a waste.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Does anyone else think it was the worst and most agenda driven bulletin on cricinfo they have ever seen?

Ridiculous article by Miller IMO.
Agree with that. I was quite enjoying the game (listened to the first half at work, and then watched the chase). The main thing that was annoying me was the continual complaining about what a poor game it was, and how the crowd were apparently not enjoying it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Despite all the criticism of Clarke regarding the way he batted, still as a captain I think he handled things pretty nicely yesterday, made pro-active and interesting bowling changes, and though his field placements were left a lot be desired (especially to Haurrie's bowling), but still it was good to see he wasn't mechanical in his decision making.
So how do you explain the delaying of the power play so long?

It could've given Strauss a real headache regarding which bowlers to use if he'd taken it mid-30 over mark (as Swann had just come on)

pup11

International Coach
So how do you explain the delaying of the power play so long?

It could've given Strauss a real headache regarding which bowlers to use if he'd taken it mid-30 over mark (as Swann had just come on)
Yeah, not forcing the batting power-play at that time probably wasn't the smartest move, but then on the other hand one can say that neither Ferguson nor Clarke were in any sort position to make use of that batting power-play at that stage, as they were finding it very hard to time and place the ball.

One can say that, that the batting power-play can help the batting sides inflict some momentum into the innings when spinners have tied them down in the middle-overs, but its still something that can easily backfire, since it forces the fielding side to bring in more fielders into the ring, and makes the batsmen take plenty of risks.

During the middle overs its a slightly risky AFAIC to take the batting power-play, as it can result into the batting side losing one or two wickets at the wrong time of their innings, so I think the best time to take the batting power-play is between the 35-45th over of the game.

A mandatory ball change takes place after the 34th over, and that ball is slightly harder, hence making it more easier to time, so the period after that is best suited to employ the batting power-play imo, though having said that, if two batsmen are really well set and playing well, then they shouldn't hesitate to take the batting power-play at anytime they wish.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't really get what was so poor-quality about it. The bowling was perfectly good, with some really excellent performances thrown in, and the pitch made scoring runs very difficult. It was a bit scrappy and didn't look very pretty but I don't think it was a case of two teams playing very badly. Ravi Bopara and Michael Clarke have just kinda stank up the joint I suppose.
Will have to disagree to agree here, you mention Clarke and Boparas poor contribution as an aside, but their efforts took up many many many life-draining overs. Good bowling? nah not for me, hardly any swing, seam or spin. Inept batting, how Rashid and Collingwood and Hopes got away with their rubbish I'll never know, other teams would of slaughtered it, in my opinion. Just re-watched the last few overs now, and my first impressions stand royally. Brett Lee giving free-hits spurned in a joke manner, Bracken bowling slow balls miles wide which were left, over waist high full tosses. It was only Sidebum smashing edges all over the shop that got as close. Nice little innings from Adil. but in the end he couldn't finish it off, how very England.

Oz should be ashamed that we got that close with that batting line-up.

Was 'bout 15 posts of it, rest was Scaly/Pizzorno/Zaremba ffs'ing :p
One of those people you've corrected to Zinzan, who is not English.....

Anyway now I'm whining about being accused of whining, how very England:)

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Will have to disagree to agree here, you mention Clarke and Boparas poor contribution as an aside, but their efforts took up many many many life-draining overs. Good bowling? nah not for me, hardly any swing, seam or spin. Inept batting, how Rashid and Collingwood and Hopes got away with their rubbish I'll never know, other teams would of slaughtered it, in my opinion. Just re-watched the last few overs now, and my first impressions stand royally. Brett Lee giving free-hits spurned in a joke manner, Bracken bowling slow balls miles wide which were left, over waist high full tosses. It was only Sidebum smashing edges all over the shop that got as close. Nice little innings from Adil. but in the end he couldn't finish it off, how very England.
I thought Brett Lee and Midge Johnson bowled quite well. Got the ball down the other end seriously fast, which is all you can do when the ball isn't swinging, seaming or spinning. Express pace is really very useful in one-dayers.

Lee's figures got a bit of a hammering, but that's only because he bowled three batting powerplay overs and two at the death.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Very early start at Lord's tomorrow. Might be like those domestic one day finals of yesteryear where you win the toss, put the opposition in and find them four/five down within the hour.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
"9.40am Good morning all and welcome to our coverage of the second ODI. The news is that Stuart Broad's out of the match with a neck strain, so it's good to see he's taking his role as Andrew Flintoff's replacement seriously. We'll have toss and team news shortly."