• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Emmanuel Adebayor has asked for more time to mull over his proposed move from Arsenal to Manchester City, a transfer he fears could lead to strong criticisms of his motives in his native Togo. The striker's misgivings are such that City have been forced to delay plans for a medical while he considers their offer of a salary worth in excess of £150,000 a week.

Don't do this to me you bloody ****chops. Gaaaaaaaaahhhhh....

Jarquis

I wouldn't know what the hell to do if he didn't go.
If all of a sudden he's realised that the grass isn't alway greener it will be interesting.
Slight suspicion he's hoping for a late hour bid from Milan; which isn't going to happen.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
This Monday is the Graeme Murty Testimonial (Reading 2009 v Reading 2006).

Saturday 1 August is Reading v Chelsea.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Unfortunately I think that might come a little to soon for me, as I'm actually back in Hampshire at the moment, but will be living in Reading next fulltime for the forseeable future from next Thursday onwards, so anything after that would be ideal, and can see no reason why I wouldn't be able to attend.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Disagree, if you'd followed the entire saga since last season you'd understand why Arsenal fans are pleased to see the back of him.
Arsene Wenger took him from a substitute in the French League and turned him into a 30 goal EPL striker. He repayed this by openly flirting with Milan and throwing his toys out of the pram. We chucked a bit of extra cash at him and he did bugger all. Had a poor season, didn't work hard for the team, criticised the fans and whinged a bit more.
We won't miss him all that much and the cash we get from selling him will be used to make the team much stronger.
Well even if Arsenal fans where annoyed by his clear disrespect towards him, by his flirting around with Milan. But sometimes you gotta look past that & just worry about what your best team is. Players these days always looking for money, you cant fight that. Losing Adebayour weakens Arsenal, Citeh on paper would smoke them 2moro.

Look at United with Ronaldo, its clear now SAF had to REALLY work hard behind the scenes to keep him @ United for as long as they did.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Well even if Arsenal fans where annoyed by his clear disrespect towards him, by his flirting around with Milan. But sometimes you gotta look past that & just worry about what your best team is. Players these days always looking for money, you cant fight that. Losing Adebayour weakens Arsenal, Citeh on paper would smoke them 2moro.

Look at United with Ronaldo, its clear now SAF had to REALLY work hard behind the scenes to keep him @ United for as long as they did.
Best Arsenal team doesn't have Adebayor in it to be completely honest, and there is zero evidence to suggest otherwise.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I am leaving CW

As I am soon to be banned, I would like to flounce out of CW. here are my thoughts:

Citeh fans - gun
Exeter fans - guns
Arsenal fans - yeah, you lot are alright
Man U fans - go **** yourselves
Noooooo.

Also: I find the assertion that Melo is a defensive minded midfielder ridiculous. He's box to box ala. Gerrard and Lampard were earlier in their career. He's not a Makelele type player and never has been. People seem to confuse attacking midfielders and trequartista's like Kaka and Diego as the same thing.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Noooooo.

Also: I find the assertion that Melo is a defensive minded midfielder ridiculous. He's box to box ala. Gerrard and Lampard were earlier in their career. He's not a Makelele type player and never has been. People seem to confuse attacking midfielders and trequartista's like Kaka and Diego as the same thing.
Dunno, I think it's fine to say Gerrard (certainly in his earlier career) is/was very much a defensive midfielder, however, that of course is not to say he was a "holding midfielder" as per Makelele, though Gerrard has changed the style of his game a lot since Benitez took over. Personally I would never have labelled :Lampard as a defensive player at all, and have never come across anyone who has.

I would always think of Patrick Vieira as being a defensive midfielder, but I think a lot of people are quick to forget that players with the tag of "defensive midfielder" are not neccesarily incapable or adverse to going forward.

I don't mind those who call Kaka an attacking midfielder either to be honest, as effectively that is what he is. However, it bugs me when people say he was the "playmaker" for AC Milan, as he was nothing of the sort, that job was always done (extremely effectively as well imo) but Pirlo, and in fact very few teams in the world at the moment actually use a genuine playermaker in their system. Pirlo being the only really outstanding one that immediately springs to mind.

duffer

You're forgetting the entire season of strolling around the pitch like he's the new Henry, the denying he'd done anything wrong the previous summer and then the interview at the end of the season where he blamed the fans for the entire situation and said it wasn't his fault he played below par. Overrated, greedy ****. As sledger said earlier, I'm yet to be convinced his 30 goals season was anything but a complete anomally. Even Arsene said he doubted he was more than a 15-20 goal striker at his peak.

Just a shame we couldn't convince City that Eboue was the new Garrincha and flog him too.

biased indian

International Coach
Maxwell Very Close To Signing For Barcelona - Report - Goal.com

Inter full back Maxwell will sign for Barcelona on a five-year deal, with the transfer very close to completion, according to Sky Sport Italia.Barcelona have made the purchase of a left back one of their primary objectives this summer, and it seems they have found their man.

Sky Sport Italia says that a deal that will see Maxwell join the Blaugrana is all but complete, with the Brazilian to pen a five-year contract worth €3.7 million a year.Maxwell is recognised as one of the best left backs in world football, and had developed into a key player at Inter after arriving from Ajax in 2006.

fredfertang

Interesting, did you study Law like young sledger as well/
I did - it was much tougher in my day than for these youngsters mind :)

Haha interesting stuff, do you frequent the delightful PFC on Wokingham Road? My house is situated pretty much right behind it on Norris Road.
..if you mean Perfect Fried Chicken then while I am familiar with the premises, for reasons I am unable to go into on a public forum, I've never been in there as a customer - I'm on the Shinfield Road side of the campus

Craig

World Traveller
Emmanuel Adebayor has asked for more time to mull over his proposed move from Arsenal to Manchester City, a transfer he fears could lead to strong criticisms of his motives in his native Togo. The striker's misgivings are such that City have been forced to delay plans for a medical while he considers their offer of a salary worth in excess of £150,000 a week.

Don't do this to me you bloody ****chops. Gaaaaaaaaahhhhh....
Why would he care what is going on in Togo? Not like he will ever live there again.

Craig

World Traveller
I wouldn't call Maxwell one of the best left backs in the world (he would of gone for more money otherwise), he did get dropped for a 18 year old right back who had played a handful of Serie A and Coppa Italia games.

As for Adebayor and the reaction in Togo, it was like when Cristian Chivu joined Inter instead of Real Madrid, loads of people back in Romania gave him **** for it.