• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

Craig

World Traveller
There are still reports in Italy about David Trezeguet going to City. It is a load of crap anyway, he wasn't going to leave to when Juve went to Serie B, he isn't going to leave, and City now have better strikers anyway.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Gary Neville couldn't even kill a weedy caterpillar, hence the presence of one on his upper lip for the last half a decade or so.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Heh @ Ade applying for a "work" permit. He doesn't even permit himself to do any work.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
So where now for Ashley Young?
Think they could role for both Downing (when fit) & Young in a Villa team TBH.

---------------------------------------Carew/Heskey--------------Agbonlahor----------------------------------------

Downing-------------------------Petrov-------------------------------?------------------------------------------Young

Young is better winger than Milner, so maybe O'Neil could rotate them. Plus Gabby should be playing as a striker for me.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Personally think Arsenal are crazy to sell Adebaoyor. But top stuff for City, this town is getting brilliant now..

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Personally think Arsenal are crazy to sell Adebaoyor. But top stuff for City, this town is getting brilliant now..
For the kind of cash being offered I'm glad they're selling to be honest, speaking as an Arsenal fan.

Jarquis

Couldn't be happier.
Frees up cash for a much needed Centre Midfielder and possibly a striker that's better than Bendtner :p.
Obviously it relies on Wenger but the one thing the Melo transfer showed was that despite some promising performances by Song towards the back end of last season; Wenger realises we crave an established defensive minded midfielder.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Couldn't be happier.
Frees up cash for a much needed Centre Midfielder and possibly a striker that's better than Bendtner :p.
Obviously it relies on Wenger but the one thing the Melo transfer showed was that despite some promising performances by Song towards the back end of last season; Wenger realises we crave an established defensive minded midfielder.
I would quite like to see Bendtner get a run in the side now, I don't think there's any reason to think he would do notably worse than Adebayor did. Besides, he could profide a nice foil to the younger strikers coming through like Vela who should really be appearing in the first team more often now.

Also if Rosicky is now nearly fit again as has been suggested, there are an abundance of attacking players at Arsenal's disposal, if this cash could be spent on bringing in a ball winning midfielder who has a bit of bite and an extra centre back (and not lose any more senior players) then the side will be pretty strong for next season.

Jarquis

I would quite like to see Bendtner get a run in the side now, I don't think there's any reason to think he would do notably worse than Adebayor did. Besides, he could profide a nice foil to the younger strikers coming through like Vela who should really be appearing in the first team more often now.

Also if Rosicky is now nearly fit again as has been suggested, there are an abundance of attacking players at Arsenal's disposal, if this cash could be spent on bringing in a ball winning midfielder who has a bit of bite and an extra centre back (and not lose any more senior players) then the side will be pretty strong for next season.
I could see it working and see your point, we have RVP, Eduardo and Vela all left footed and generally good finishers. Bendtner adds something a bit different and like you said could form a decent partnership with any one of the 3 aforementioned strikers.
However we have been linked with Chamakh; who judging by the reports I've read is a similar player to Bendtner but a bit better.
IIRC Bendtner didn't have a particularly worse Goals : Game ratio than any of our other strikers.

Attacking midfielders is not an issue we have an abundance of high quality players in that area. A ball winner in midfield is a necessity and extra centre back or striker would be an added bonus considering our aquisition of Vermaelen. With Toure, Gallas, Djourou and Vermaelen we have decent strength and depth at CB. Considering the sale of Ade' will weaken our stikers it could make sense to replace him.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
For the kind of cash being offered I'm glad they're selling to be honest, speaking as an Arsenal fan.
Haa...most gunners fans i think are taking out the frustration of not winning anything on Adebayor. He aint the prob, all Arsenal need a 1 or 2 strong defensive mid-fielders are they are back in buisness.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haa...most gunners fans i think are taking out the frustration of not winning anything on Adebayor. He aint the prob, all Arsenal need a 1 or 2 strong defensive mid-fielders are they are back in buisness.
He's not the problem, I never said he was, but he's not pulling enough weight to make it worth the effort of keeping him, if someone puts good money on the table for him then I would happily be rid of him, problem or not. And yes, as has already been mentioned, a hard man in the midfield is indeed whats needed.

Edit: and although I can't speak for anyone else, I definitely am not taking my frustrations on him for no trophys, though indeed better performances from him would have increased the chances of winning one.

Last edited:

Jarquis

Disagree, if you'd followed the entire saga since last season you'd understand why Arsenal fans are pleased to see the back of him.
Arsene Wenger took him from a substitute in the French League and turned him into a 30 goal EPL striker. He repayed this by openly flirting with Milan and throwing his toys out of the pram. We chucked a bit of extra cash at him and he did bugger all. Had a poor season, didn't work hard for the team, criticised the fans and whinged a bit more.
We won't miss him all that much and the cash we get from selling him will be used to make the team much stronger.