• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Favourite Ashes Memory

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Coming to dislike an innings because of poor-quality presentation of a highlights-package DVD - ITSTL.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Geraint's catch after Strauss's fumble at OT was special hey. A CW legend was born right then :ph34r:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Freddie's ton at Trent Bridge, what an innings. He hasn't batted that well since really, but that was something special.

stumpski

International Captain
Botham taking the ricochet from Tavare to win the '82-83 Melbourne Test.

Boycott's on-drive off Greg Chappell to reach his 100th hundred.

Botham hitting McDermott for 6s off his first two balls in 1985.

Botham in 1981, obviously.

Strauss's catch off Gilchrist.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mark Butchers knock at Headingly in '01 - showed we could actually beat the crims rather than just take advantage when they took their eyes off the ball

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
A nice moment I've just watched from 05 (nearing the end now :D) is when our fans had their umbrellas up to try and get the umpires to call the players off for rain, so some of the Aussie fans took their shirts off. And the Aussie players came out later in sunglasses. brilliant banter, pretty much the most intense sporting contest ever and there was still good humour about things on and off the pitch.

stumpski

International Captain
Mark Butchers knock at Headingly in '01 - showed we could actually beat the crims rather than just take advantage when they took their eyes off the ball
The series had gone by then remember - I don't think Gilchrist would have declared when he did otherwise (Waugh probably wouldn't have declared at all). But a memorable day all the same, ditto Headley's match in the '98-99 series (can't remember where it was) and Gough's hat-trick of course.

Has anyone mentioned the Ball of the Century yet?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
A nice moment I've just watched from 05 (nearing the end now :D) is when our fans had their umbrellas up to try and get the umpires to call the players off for rain, so some of the Aussie fans took their shirts off. And the Aussie players came out later in sunglasses. brilliant banter, pretty much the most intense sporting contest ever and there was still good humour about things on and off the pitch.
Yeah, remember being in fits of laughter at the time.

stumpski

International Captain
Ah yeah, that as well. :D

Just noticed, post 13.

And I did enjoy, or at least appreciate, Steve Waugh's career-extending last-ball hundred in 2002-03. The most memorable cricket Richard Dawson was ever involved with.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah the spirit that series was played in was something else.

That was a really good moment.

Others that spring to mind:
- Flintoff commiserating with Brett Lee at Edgbaston
- Warne congratulating KP at the Oval
- Lee smiling with respect after getting twatted for 6 by Flintoff at Edgbaston (iirc)
- England fans singing "we only wish you were English" to Shane Warne at the Oval
- Banter with Lee and McGrath on the boundary at the Oval

All that said, we shouldn't get too misty-eyed: there were of course some less savoury moments that summer:
- Jones throwing the ball at Hayden (not that I was too upset)
- English fielders not checking that Ponting was ok at Lord's
- Ponting giving Vaughan a verbal volley when he came out to bat at Lord's
- Ponting's rants after being run out by Damien Martyn at Trent Bridge

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
England beating Australia in 2005 was a big kick in the pants for Australia. The only thing Australia could've possibly done to put England through as much embarrassment and pain was to beat them 5-0 and they did it. :D

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah the spirit that series was played in was something else.

That was a really good moment.

Others that spring to mind:
- Flintoff commiserating with Brett Lee at Edgbaston
- Warne congratulating KP at the Oval
- Lee smiling with respect after getting twatted for 6 by Flintoff at Edgbaston (iirc)
- England fans singing "we only wish you were English" to Shane Warne at the Oval
- Banter with Lee and McGrath on the boundary at the Oval

All that said, we shouldn't get too misty-eyed: there were of course some less savoury moments that summer:
- Jones throwing the ball at Hayden (not that I was too upset)
- English fielders not checking that Ponting was ok at Lord's
- Ponting giving Vaughan a verbal volley when he came out to bat at Lord's
- Ponting's rants after being run out by Damien Martyn at Trent Bridge
And indeed, he shouted "FREDDIE! FREDDIE!" and then when Freddie turned round, "well played!" and clapped, as they walked off the field after England's 2nd dig at Egdbaston. Warne is a legend.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
For some reason I always remember the 5th test in 93. We got smashed, but I was on holiday in Tenerife and had to make do with 2 day old newspaper reports, but then one of my brothers mates had a flat over there with tv that showed the cricket (not sure how..don't know whether it was sky or bbc world service or something) and instead of going to the beach I went round and watched the cricket. England played 4 bowlers including 2 spinners and got spanked