• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group E - England, India, South Africa, West Indies

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I think we can all safely assume that T20 isn't regarded as hit and giggle anymore then, evoking some emotional responses here (including from myself). I think there are a few things that need sorting in this tournament and format, but on the whole have once again enjoyed this tournament. It's been a million miles ahead of the last ODI WC in terms of entertainment.
Oh yeah. AWTA. The newspapers here understandably already looking forward to the next T20 WC in the WI thats apparently only 9 months away for some reason. Its just plain stupid planning to hand over a 9 month reign to the champs of this WC. Anyway, hope the WI get a proper celebration of cricket next year after that excuse of a WC the ICC foisted on them last time.

As for the game, my 2 cents - England was robbed. Maybe DL should look into limiting the number of wickets made available to the chasing team if all they're simply going to halve the target score for the 9 overs.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Not to be pedantic, but I have never ever heard anyone ever say anything along the lines of 'England have been cheated of a win by the weather'. Merriam Webster defines 'cheating' as 'to deprive of something valuable by the use of deceit or fraud'. I am sorry but I fail to see how England were deceived by the weather or how they were on the other side of any type of fraud. You could say that England were denied victory by the weather, but cheating implies something completely different and far more serious.

It proves absolutely zero, of course, but a google search for "cheated by the weather" brings up this reference to the 2003 World Cup:

i feel extremely sorry for the fact that south africa could not go through
are they the unluckiest team in the world ?
remember the 1999 world cup!
also unfortunate was the exit of west indies
(cheated by the weather)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Thats a new definition of the word cheating for me. I would think firstly that you cant be cheated out by an inanimate object such as the weather, and I would also think that cheating involves some form of trickery. Both teams knew exactly what they were getting into before the game, DWL has been around for ages and eweve known for donkey's years that it favors the team batting 2nd in twenty20. England won the toss and chose to bat, which was their own fault, everybody including the neighbours dog knew that rain was predicted and they still chose to bat out of fear because they hadnt batted 2nd all tournament.

Did the better team today win? Maybe not, but the word 'cheat' is certainly not applicable in this context IMO because no one was deceived.
Surely you must've heard the phrase "cheated death" or "cheated serious injury"? In those contexts it just means "elluded" or "narrowly missed". Even if you haven't, they're in pretty common parlance. No trickery implied in either case at any rate.

Same with the use of "cheated" in "England were cheated by the DL system and/or the weather"; it's really synonymous with "England were denied a win that could have been theirs but for the inequities of the DL system/ unreliability of their weather".

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Weren't you the one criticising NZ fans for complaining about a shortened game earlier in the tournament?

Bit hypocritical, you could replace "Kiwis" with "Poms" and "shortened games" with "duckworth lewis system in T20s" and the situations would be identical.

Were England damn unlucky? Yes. But I doubt the same **** would be spouted by Scaly if the roles were reversed, no matter how much he claims he would have.
I don't think it's comparable. A nine-over game is still an even contest. Whatever else you can say about it, it favours neither one team nor the other. Last night's game wasn't.

Just because Scaly moans about England being better than they are regardless of what happens in a match doesn't mean they weren't pretty badly crapped on here.

Smith

Banned
Don’t understand the “we woz robbed” sentiments.

We batted poorly (how many boundaries in the last 10 overs) and had the Windies finished at 40 odd for 5 with two out-of-touch batsman at the crease. Yet, we still contrived to lose with balls to spare when the going rate was well above 10 with only 3 overs left.

Can’t blame D/L, 80 off 9 with only 3 overs of PowerPlay isn’t scandalous, it’s defendable.

The biggest scandal is why we can’t get a full game in when the weather is set fair. Rain only meant about an hour was lost; surely you can make that up and extend the game...

But fair play to the Windies. Now go and knock out Sri Lanka. :)
It was 2 AM in India when the match ended.

Smith

Banned
Surely you must've heard the phrase "cheated death" or "cheated serious injury"? In those contexts it just means "elluded" or "narrowly missed". Even if you haven't, they're in pretty common parlance. No trickery implied in either case at any rate.

Same with the use of "cheated" in "England were cheated by the DL system and/or the weather"; it's really synonymous with "England were denied a win that could have been theirs but for the inequities of the DL system/ unreliability of their weather".
England contextually used in the same sense as death and serious injury? Lol!

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Weren't you the one criticising NZ fans for complaining about a shortened game earlier in the tournament?

Bit hypocritical, you could replace "Kiwis" with "Poms" and "shortened games" with "duckworth lewis system in T20s" and the situations would be identical.

Were England damn unlucky? Yes. But I doubt the same **** would be spouted by Scaly if the roles were reversed, no matter how much he claims he would have.
Also, i think when people are accusing you of being biased towards England over New Zealand it's time to hand in your Irish card :(.

Smith

Banned
Cheat

3. to elude; deprive of something expected: He cheated the law by suicide.
He cheated death by a whisker.

Convert it into passive voice, death was cheated by him by a whisker. Makes no sense.

It is a transitive verb right and hence the subject is very important than the object. Hence the question is who cheated England, WI or DL?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
He cheated death by a whisker.

Convert it into passive voice, death was cheated by him by a whisker. Makes no sense.

It is a transitive verb right and hence the subject is very important than the object. Hence the question is who cheated England, WI or DL?
Of course it does. Ugly constructed sentence, but the meaning remains.

& it's intransitive, anyway. Doesn't need an object. Eg:

"Precam cheated"

Shri

Mr. Glass
The match should be taking place in some parallel universe where only I exist.

RSA 80/2 after 13 overs.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
South Africa need to buck their ideas against spin in the Semi's.

Pak will give them a trial by spin or Sri Lanka (:-O) if India knock this total over in a few overs.

Shame Australia are out.