• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Commentators

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Interesting......I have heard them together on a few occasions throughout the summer and didn't pick up any friction tbh, in fact throughly enjoyed the combination.
It doesn't manifest itself in every single stint but there's been quite a few occasions of note this summer, more so than ever before.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
It doesn't manifest itself in every single stint but there's been quite a few occasions of note this summer, more so than ever before.
Yes it has escalated recently. I find it annoying when the commentators turn the spotlight on themselves rather than on the play. This is a perennial problem with Boycott ("I would score loads of runs on this pitch / against this bowling" being a common theme) and with the Sky team but Aggers has usually steered clear of it in the past.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nasser & Both weren't the best of friends before Nas joined the team, itbt, sometimes still get a bit of a tense feeling when they disagree on stuff
Those two are a strange case, Hussain seems since joining Sky to have acquired an acceptance for being the downtrodden, which obviously sits well with Both. Had he not done, that combination would too have been ITSTL.

What's important to note though is that for all Both's criticisms of Hussain during his captaincy days, there was massive admiration there as well. Botham is a man who only very few out-and-out despise, because he's not often himself one to commit himself fully to dislike. Or indeed to anything. Botham is a hugely fickle fellow.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The Boycott/Agnew thing sounds more like banter really.. Why would there be any genuine friction?
You're familiar with Geoff Boycott?

There was a time when half the Yorkshire membership would've been happy for him to be barred from Headingley for life, while the other half were keen on the idea of him being given lifetime dictatorship of the club.

Boycott has always had the potential to inspire huge dislike in certain quarters. Being as blunt as he is, it's almost inevitable.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You're familiar with Geoff Boycott?

There was a time when half the Yorkshire membership would've been happy for him to be barred from Headingley for life, while the other half were keen on the idea of him being given lifetime dictatorship of the club.

Boycott has always had the potential to inspire huge dislike in certain quarters. Being as blunt as he is, it's almost inevitable.
Haha indeed. I cannot stand the man or his self-proclaimed "right way to bat". Although his comments on Sehwag were explained later as less of a criticism than they first appeared, i still find him ignorant and self-righteous.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Let me get the ball rolling with these:

1. Mark Nicholas - laminated in a veneer of self-regard
2. Ian Botham - self-important, blokeish, ignorant, pompous
3. David Gower - unspeakably dull'; oddly, says "garn" instead of "gone"
4. Bob Willis - wrist-slashingly miserable.
5. David 'Bumble' Lloyd - professional Northerner. Imbecile.

Bob Willis has confused many a young man.
What are you talking about?

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I actually think that Aggers is quite a good influence on Boycs, always prepared to cut him down to size. Think the problem for TMS at the moment is that Vic Marks is SO MUCH better than any of the other analysts, so much so that I just want him to come on whenver someone like Boycs is taking. Having said that I do love Sir Viv and enjoy Woody's contributions

Evermind

International Debutant
I disagree to an extent with a lot of people saying Ian Healy is biased. He makes a lot of biased comments sure but most of the time he is just joking and not really taking himself seriously. Heck TBH whenever Healy commentates I don't really get the impression he takes the game seriously most of the time.
You must be kidding me - Healy takes the game more seriously than any other commentator. Half the time he's so into it he doesn't know what he's saying.

Didn't someone say something about the lowest level of hell having Hitler read Richard's posts for all of eternity? At the same time, I think he is also made to listen to Nicholas's and Healy's commentary while Australia are winning a match.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I actually think that Aggers is quite a good influence on Boycs, always prepared to cut him down to size. Think the problem for TMS at the moment is that Vic Marks is SO MUCH better than any of the other analysts, so much so that I just want him to come on whenver someone like Boycs is taking. Having said that I do love Sir Viv and enjoy Woody's contributions
I agree that Vic Marks is superb. He always has a chuckle in his voice, he's extremely self-deprecating, and he's very witty. All of which without being irritating. He's not often given the credit he deserves in this kind of discussion. Alongside him, CMJ and Aggers are also excellent.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I agree that Vic Marks is superb, he's extremely self-deprecating
TBF, he doesn't exactly have much choice does he? I love the guy to bits as much as the next man, but he truly was an awful bowler by Test standards.

Precambrian

Banned
You must be kidding me - Healy takes the game more seriously than any other commentator. Half the time he's so into it he doesn't know what he's saying.

Didn't someone say something about the lowest level of hell having Hitler read Richard's posts for all of eternity? At the same time, I think he is also made to listen to Nicholas's and Healy's commentary while Australia are winning a match.
Richard is too maligned over here. He's being prolific but he contributes much to the discussion around here than some self important judgemental ****s.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Keep it to OT or best PM discussion. New thread started in OT.
For the topic,

I absolutely despise that joker Healy, Nicholas, Ian Botham and Sanjay Manjrekar.
Thanks for the advice mod 8-)

BTW, I liked it when Mark Nicholas commentated on English cricket, just wanted to confess

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thanks for the advice mod 8-)

BTW, I liked it when Mark Nicholas commentated on English cricket, just wanted to confess
Quite like the guy, tbh. More due to assosciating his voice and general overexcitement with memories of some great cricket than due to any actual quality on his part though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And some sort of "adventure" show (can't remember what it was, was one of those big-brother-meets-I'm-a-celebrity-get-me-out-of-here-***-something-else) on C4 back in about 2003 or 2004 as well.