• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I enjoyed many women's matches throughout the tournament but yeah the final was an absolute shalacking. This is why women shouldn't be paid the same as men in Grand Slams.

I can understand the prize money being equal in the other tournaments where both ***es play 3 setters though.

Sorry if this has been talked about before..

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Fair play to Serena, maybe not everyones cup of tea but clearly the best womens player in the world.
Yep, champion.

I wonder if she can beat Venus on grass this year. I reckon this is a year where she may be able to win the Calendar Year Grand Slam. Particularly since Henin is retired, leaving Roland Garros wide open.

She won the Serena slam in 2002/03 by winning the 4 on the trot, but the Aus Open win was in 2003. I wonder what she's paying for the French.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
On ability she'd have to be one of the most dominant athletes ever. It's only been fitness/injury/motivation that's given anyone else a look in over the past 8 years. Whenever she's shown up for a tournament fit and interested, it's been a procession.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I enjoyed many women's matches throughout the tournament but yeah the final was an absolute shalacking. This is why women shouldn't be paid the same as men in Grand Slams.

I can understand the prize money being equal in the other tournaments where both ***es play 3 setters though.

Sorry if this has been talked about before..
Exactly, equal prizemoney is a joke, Look at Serena, cruised through a final we always knew she would win in 59 minutes and gets $1.6m, Verdasco the night before battles the world number one for over five hours in the mens semis and gets less than a quarter of that.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
I wouldn't envy the person sitting through a five-set Women's match at the French, though.

Give them equal money to stop them even thinking about it.

_Ed_

Exactly, equal prizemoney is a joke, Look at Serena, cruised through a final we always knew she would win in 59 minutes and gets $1.6m, Verdasco the night before battles the world number one for over five hours in the mens semis and gets less than a quarter of that.
But by that reasoning, should a man be paid more for getting past the first round in five sets than a guy who breezes through with a straight sets annihilation? The five sets guy had to work harder, and for longer.

I don't think Serena should be penalised for being a class above them in this tournament. It's like Federer in his Wimbledon winning streak before Nadal came along - he probably didn't spend much more time on court some years than the women's champion. Should he be paid less because his opponents couldn't challenge him?

Simon

But by that reasoning, should a man be paid more for getting past the first round in five sets than a guy who breezes through with a straight sets annihilation? The five sets guy had to work harder, and for longer.

I don't think Serena should be penalised for being a class above them in this tournament. It's like Federer in his Wimbledon winning streak before Nadal came along - he probably didn't spend much more time on court some years than the women's champion. Should he be paid less because his opponents couldn't challenge him?
Yeh I know what you are saying, it would be impossible to award prizemoney based on how long players spent on court or how dominant they are over their opponents or not.
I just think that by the law of averages and what blind freddy can see in the game of tennis men are deserving of more money.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
I think it is probably fair enough that they get payed equal. Hell, they get payed less on the WTA Tour and play the same amount of tennis, so who gives a ****?

Uppercut

I don't see why it's even up for discussion. It's a free enough market, how about tennis players get paid based on how much money they make for the federation? Same as the rest of us.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I guess Federer should have been paid crap all for his match vs. Del Potro? :p

Anyway, can't wait for tonight. Looking forward to this so much! Hard to believe its the first hard court grand slam final between these two