• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do we have any current (or past) Firstclass cricketers on this forum??

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Will Jimmy Neesham make the step up to FC cricket? Hmm.
Doesn't look too likely this season. Any small chance there was seems to have been squashed by the fact that the Aces overseas player this year is apparently an all-rounder.:dry:

pskov

International 12th Man
Any Murray mints or similar "substances" involved in this story?
I worked in a newsagents near Edgbaston and sold a pack of Murraymints to a man in an England training top, carrying a kit bag and with an Aussie accent on the morning of the second day of that test. It was probably Troy Cooley so I guess that I am responsible for England winning the Ashes in 2005.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I worked in a newsagents near Edgbaston and sold a pack of Murraymints to a man in an England training top, carrying a kit bag and with an Aussie accent on the morning of the second day of that test. It was probably Troy Cooley so I guess that I am responsible for England winning the Ashes in 2005.
Hang on, I'll arrange the open top bus and an MBE.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I once took four wickets off the first four deliveries of a match in a tournament in Delhi. Three of those batsmen were first class cricketers.
Great stuff!!!

A guy who played junior cricket at our club went on to 1st grade and took a hat trick v Bankstown one day. His victims?

S Small
S Waugh
M Waugh

None too shabby.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Great stuff!!!

A guy who played junior cricket at our club went on to 1st grade and took a hat trick v Bankstown one day. His victims?

S Small
S Waugh
M Waugh

None too shabby.
My list was nothing as luminous as that although two of those guys ended with first class batting averages in the forties and they were all active FC cricketers at the time.

Polo23

International Debutant
Doesn't look too likely this season. Any small chance there was seems to have been squashed by the fact that the Aces overseas player this year is apparently an all-rounder.:dry:
Bummer. Better whack a few sixes in club cricket huh?

How quick are you bowling these days?

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Bummer. Better whack a few sixes in club cricket huh?

How quick are you bowling these days?
Not really sure to be honest. Over in England we had the speed gun in the two televised games, but I was expressly (pun, ha!) told not to try to bowl quick, but instead to concentrate on line and length. In that game I was hovering around 132-134. So I don't think it would be out of the realms of possibility to say that I could touch 140 on a good day.:)

Polo23

International Debutant
Not really sure to be honest. Over in England we had the speed gun in the two televised games, but I was expressly (pun, ha!) told not to try to bowl quick, but instead to concentrate on line and length. In that game I was hovering around 132-134. So I don't think it would be out of the realms of possibility to say that I could touch 140 on a good day.:)
That's pretty sharp. Hows the consistency? I noticed your figures were pretty tidy in the One Dayers, bar one game where you went for 8.4 per over.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
That's pretty sharp. Hows the consistency? I noticed your figures were pretty tidy in the One Dayers, bar one game where you went for 8.4 per over.
Consistency's not bad now actually, back in that England series my front arm went everywhere at point of delivery which made accuracy difficult. Haha yea, that wasn't a fun game, think most of our seam bowlers got a pasting at the hands of Wakely and Smith. It wasn't easy bowling to those two once they got on a roll! The wet ball didn't help much either. :(

Managed to sort my front arm issues out a little bit after that game (or at least discover them) which obviously helped in the next game.:)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Consistency's not bad now actually, back in that England series my front arm went everywhere at point of delivery which made accuracy difficult. Haha yea, that wasn't a fun game, think most of our seam bowlers got a pasting at the hands of Wakely and Smith. It wasn't easy bowling to those two once they got on a roll! The wet ball didn't help much either. :(

Managed to sort my front arm issues out a little bit after that game (or at least discover them) which obviously helped in the next game.:)
Any kids reading the forum should focus on that point. :)

Front arm is the basic key to accuracy as the bowling arm naturally follows where the front arm goes.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I once hit Michael Bevan in the testicles...the highlight of my life almost. Actually, it was an inside edge but I'm claiming it.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Seems a good place to quote myself. Post originally from May 06

Certainly not FC cricket but an interesting experience all the same

Bad
During England tour of SA last year I was bowling at the Eng players in the nets at Centurion. The track was a bit juicy due to the rain, Mike Watkinson told us we could only bowl with old balls and we were told not to go flat out and just take the edge off the delivery.

Anyway, I was bowling at Robert Key and after a few balls you could see he was not that happy. I then pitched 1 up that seamed back (the track was doing a bit). He was not properly forward and it bowled him middle stump through the gap.

I was happy for an instant, but then Key turned around, kicked the stumps over, stormed out of the nets and threw his bat about 20 yards. He packed his bag and disappeared.

I was a little shocked but carried on bowling to Collingwood (who is so fast you could not believe). The rain then came down in buckets. As we were leaving the nets 2 heavily tattooed shaven headed guys came up to us and said “Which 1 of you ****s bowled Robert Key?” I replied that it was me and they told me that they were getting a shirt signed by the players to be auctioned for charity and that Key had stormed out of the nets and refused to sign anything.

What a guy!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, have never read that before - obviously the post was made just after my longest CW absence commenced.

Interesting and strange TSTL.

Polo23

International Debutant

I never had any issues with consistency, though that's probably more to do with me only bowling 110k's compared to 130+. Without accuracy i'd get pasted all over the shop. Though, i'm hardly playing the level of cricket you are, so tough to compare.

Do you think you are going to be geniunely good enough to play FC cricket, or perhaps higher?

Sorry about all the questions by the way, I just find it interesting hearing things from someone who has actually played at a pretty high level.