• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

County Championship- Where are they from?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You would probably be able to do it from Yorkshireman who have gone on to play for Lancashire but I'll leave the details for someone else

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sales gets in on having been born in Carshalton and educated at Caterham School.
ITSTL, never knew that. Thought he'd been developed by Northants (though I knew he wasn't born in the county or a bordering minor-county).

Yet another case of the buggers scrounging from major counties, then. Bet Surrey wish they'd made an effort to sign him.

stumpski

International Captain
Well he was playing for Northants 2nds at 16, so I suppose they did have some role in his development - I would guess that the family moved to the East Midlands a year or two before. Can't find any record of him playing for one of the Surrey age-group sides.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Well off the top of my head (apologies for those obvious ones Ive forgotten). There is probably a modern byas given the informal nature of this method of selection.

Yorks Exiles XI

1. Jack Hampshire
2. Barry Wood
3. Paul Grayson
4. Chris Balderstone
5. Jack Birkenshaw
6. Brian Close
7. Steve Rhodes
8. Ray Illingworth
9. Jim Laker
10. Chris Silverwood
11. Ryan Sidebottom

stumpski

International Captain
Not a bad side there, like my Surrey XI only two frontline quicks but Wood was a pretty decent medium-pacer. Plenty of spin options certainly.

Thinking up Lancashire Exiles has proved quite tricky, the only three that have sprung to mind are John Crawley, Tony Murphy who had a few seasons at the Oval and Nick Speak who went to Durham. Speak certainly had his best days at Lancashire though. And you could add Vaughan I suppose.

What about Derbyshire? Quite an exodus in recent years: Barnett, Cork, Sutton, Adams ...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't forget Rollins (quality batsman often forgotten due to early retirement), Blackwell, Harris and Munton.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
A quick look shows a few more for Yorks recently. Dawson, Mallender, James Whitaker and maybe going back further, Peter Lever.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Thinking up Lancashire Exiles has proved quite tricky, the only three that have sprung to mind are John Crawley, Tony Murphy who had a few seasons at the Oval and Nick Speak who went to Durham. Speak certainly had his best days at Lancashire though. And you could add Vaughan I suppose.
Nah, no way - Vaughan is Lancastrian by birth only. In reality he's all ours.

Amazed you've omitted Gallian and Irani though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well off the top of my head (apologies for those obvious ones Ive forgotten). There is probably a modern byas given the informal nature of this method of selection.

Yorks Exiles XI

1. Jack Hampshire
2. Barry Wood
3. Paul Grayson
4. Chris Balderstone
5. Jack Birkenshaw
6. Brian Close
7. Steve Rhodes
8. Ray Illingworth
9. Jim Laker
10. Chris Silverwood
11. Ryan Sidebottom
If that's a deliberate pun I like it. :laugh:

Having said that though, I'm surprised - very surprised - that you'd then omit him and pick Paul Grayson. Admittedly he did only have 1 season at Lancs though.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
One would imagine there could be a decent Durham Exiles XI from before the days of it being a FC county.

As stated, Lancs is suprising. Cant find too many that fit the bill. I thought Maynard but turns out he was brought up in Wales after being born in Lancs.

stumpski

International Captain
Nah, no way - Vaughan is Lancastrian by birth only. In reality he's all ours.

Amazed you've omitted Gallian and Irani though.
Fair enough, I only omitted them because I'd forgotten them.

BTW, I think Tim Munton joined Derbyshire, from Warks. Like Welch a few years later.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Fair enough, I only omitted them because I'd forgotten them.

BTW, I think Tim Munton joined Derbyshire, from Warks. Like Welch a few years later.
Didn't Munton leave Derbyshire and go somewhere else though? Or did he retire upon leaving Derbyshire?

BTW always thought Welch should have stayed at Warks. If Dougie Brown can carve a career out there, so could he have.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Interesting looking at the births etc stats for Oxfordshire.

The born-in stats are Stuart Hole, Chris Wright and Simon Cook.

Out of them, Cook grew up through County youth teams - as did Jon Batty (born Chesterfield) and Danny Housego (born Berkshire).

Craig

World Traveller
When Yorkshire got rid of their Yorks-only policy, who was the first English cricketer to play for Yorkshire but was from a different county (or played for a different county) out of interest?

IIRC SRT was the first cricketer ever to play for Yorkshire who was not from the county.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Andy Hayhurst, Jim Hilton and Jim Lomax (Somerset), Ken Higgs, Alan Wharton and Peter Marner (Leics), Noddy Pullar and David Green (Gloucs) Bob Berry (Derby and Worcs), Jim Cumbes (Worcs), Bob Barber and Willie Hogg (Warwicks) but the only other recent examples I can think of are Chris Schofield and the two Crooks - who thinking about it are Aussies and presumably therefore don't count?

Last edited: