• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sajid Mahmood

Would YOU ever consider Sajid Mahmood for re-selection into a One-Day or Test squad?

• Total voters

The Masterplan

U19 Debutant
This is my official thread to announce that Saj Mahmood is a quality bowler. :laugh:

Pace - Deadly
Accuracy - Improving
Reverse Swing - Yes...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Debateable TSTL.

May as well put it out there in my opening post that Mahmood is the 2nd-worst seam-bowler I've ever seen play Test cricket for a Test-class team. Should also mention that I did not see Patterson Thompson.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Debateable TSTL.

May as well put it out there in my opening post that Mahmood is the 2nd-worst seam-bowler I've ever seen play Test cricket for a Test-class team. Should also mention that I did not see Patterson Thompson.
Highly under-rated with the bat was PT, tbh.

pup11

International Coach
Debateable TSTL.

He is better than Darren Pattinson though.:tongue_ss

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He is better than Darren Pattinson though.:tongue_ss
That's extremely debateable in itself. Whether his selection in the Headingley Test of 2008 would've made more sense, however, is almost irrefutable.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Pattinson was the better bowler, but there's no way we can know for sure either way given the small amount of cricket Pattinson's played.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Now this is really unfair all this Saj bashing - as Mr Zaremba will confirm he scored a magnificent 94 at Old Trafford against Sussex in 2004 when the rest of Lancashire's batting (which was rather better than it is now) failed completely - I accept his batting hasn't really come on since then but there's time yet - he's only a youngster - and he should bat a lot higher in the order than he does

Now what's with all this nonsense suggesting he's a seam bowler?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Saj Mahmood is average. Averaging 32.77 in CC this year is poor considering how helpful conditions were. When will people learn that he is not that special. His accuracy is reprehensible, and why wouldn't it be - he has an action with no sort of rhythm whatsoever. He isn't Shaun Tait pace, to make up for his poor accuracy and simply doesn't get nearly enough movement to succeed at Test level as a pure, expensive, wicket taking bowler. Nor does he maintain a consistently wicket taking line, like VRV Singh (was that the first worst seam bowler you've seen play Test cricket?)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You know me better than you'd like to think, Pickup.

True though, VRV is pretty damn close to the gruesome twosome or Eric and Saj. And as I say, I presume if I'd seen Patterson Thompson's 2 Tests everyone would be fighting for second spot.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Pommie Mbangwa is the worst Ive seen.

His Test record is deceptive (even though its only 2 wkts per test) but his ODI record more clearly reflects his talents.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Surprised you'd say that. Mbangwa may have been something of a joke due to being an out-and-out medium-pacer (rather like team-mate Bryan Strang) when that sort of speed is virtually never seen at international level (at least in the speedgun age) and he may have been well short of Test-class, but he could hold a pretty reasonable line and length, which is a hell of a lot more than Mahmood can or ever has been able to.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Surprised you'd say that. Mbangwa may have been something of a joke due to being an out-and-out medium-pacer (rather like team-mate Bryan Strang) when that sort of speed is virtually never seen at international level (at least in the speedgun age) and he may have been well short of Test-class, but he could hold a pretty reasonable line and length, which is a hell of a lot more than Mahmood can or ever has been able to.
Saj is far better than Mbangwa. Mbangwa was terrible. A very ordinary club cricketer standard.

I know Ive criticised Saj a lot be here goes. Saj>>>>>Me>>Mbangwa

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Saj is far better than Mbangwa. Mbangwa was terrible. A very ordinary club cricketer standard.

I know Ive criticised Saj a lot be here goes. Saj>>>>>Me>>Mbangwa
Well I can't say I ever watched him outside of the England tour in 2000, so I'll take your word.

Let's emphasise that Mahmood's Test record flatters him hugely too, though.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mahmood slurper society? Now I really have seen it all. Quite like the guy though, not as a cricketer mind.