• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Celebrating Sir Garry Sobers - The Bowler

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Its an interesting thought though - that if Sami plays enough and is never dropped he would eventually reach Sobers's bowling achievements. I must Test this hypothesis.

Work for the SJS Stats factory - yippee !!

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Its an interesting thought though - that if Sami plays enough and is never dropped he would eventually reach Sobers's bowling achievements. I must Test this hypothesis.

No, don't do that...Being a stat lover that I am, I hate that old thread of yours... :)

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member

Sami is funny enough, but see what you're factory makes of all the people on the forum who BS also claims could easily achieve the same as Sobers.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
No, don't do that...Being a stat lover that I am, I hate that old thread of yours... :)
Its easily one of the most popular threads from our archives - and it provides employment to so many !

I am inundated by requests from customers and employees (former as well as potential) to restart the works.

Sorry to hear that you are not in the market for one of our products though.

have a look at the Sami bit and see if you want to change your mind.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Okay guys better stop this scrap or this thread will also soon be going, going, going......

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Its easily one of the most popular threads from our archives - and it provides employment to so many !

I am inundated by requests from customers and employees (former as well as potential) to restart the works.

Sorry to hear that you are not in the market for one of our products though.

have a look at the Sami bit and see if you want to change your mind.
I've already told you in another thread that the fact that the thread was popular proves that statistics is popular (unlike your signature)...It also proves that judicious analysis of statistics isn't popular...

That's how most stat-buffs present trash in the name of solid statistical analysis and as a result some cricket lovers lose faith in the subject of statistical analysis itself...

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I've already told you in another thread that the fact that the thread was popular proves that statistics is popular (unlike your signature)...It also proves that judicious analysis of statistics isn't popular...

That's how most stat-buffs present trash in the name of solid statistical analysis and as a result some cricket lovers lose faith in the subject of statistical analysis itself...
I have a lot to say on the subject but considering how earlier discussions on this have been going I am afraid I prefer to keep my council.

I have nothing to say to this. :)

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
As a fast bowler, what were Sobers' strengths?
Did he move it in the air or off the seam?
Did he move it in or out to the right hander?
What sort of lengths did he bowl?
How accurate was he?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
How accurate was he?
Off testimony, he was only slightly inferior to Malcom Marshall. :laugh:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
How accurate was he?
He swung it in towards the right hander in the air. Off the wicket he could move it both ways.

He bowled an immaculate good length and an effortless bouncer.

Everyone who played him talked of how he was deceptively quick. He bowled with an effortless loose-limbed classical action of a shortish run up and yet managed to get a lot of zip off the wicket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Give me as many overs as Sobers bowled & I'm pretty sure I will take atleast 235 wickets after playing 93 matches.If bowling lot of overs thing was not true,why would he have such a high strike rate & low wkts per match(quite similar to that of Sami & Agarkar)?
For achieving that feat,I'll have to be Sami or Agarkar with no tention of being dropped.I think many on this forum can do that,not just me.
While your essential point is valid (ie, if you bowl you'll get wickets eventually) that's an exaggeration, and it gives those who have the like of posting :laugh: smilies the chance to do so.

If I bowled Sobers' overs in Test cricket I'd do pretty well to get 100 wickets. Though obviously I'd get some.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
This idea that any muppet village green cricketer could get even 100 Test wickets is too laughable to even qualify for a smilie.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Its a bit like the one about the monkey, the typewriter and the complete works of Shakespeare but is this really the right place for it?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
This idea that any muppet village green cricketer could get even 100 Test wickets is too laughable to even qualify for a smilie.
Also so laughable as that is the idea that everyone on this forum is a muppet village-green cricketer who could only get the ball from one end of the pitch to the other with the help of a walking-stick.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Also so laughable as that is the idea that everyone on this forum is a muppet village-green cricketer who could only get the ball from one end of the pitch to the other with the help of a walking-stick.

A walking stick? Who said anything about cripples? There are plenty of club cricketers and even County Cricketers who wouldn't get many wickets at Test level if they bowled for the rest of their lives.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Very poor club fourth XI cricketers, yes.

Any decent club bowler would get 100 Test wickets if they got enough (undeserved) chances. Obviously, they'd never get such a number of chances (or even one), so it's irrelevant really.