• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Celebrating Sir Garry Sobers - The Bowler

Debris

International 12th Man
From what I have read and seen, it would seem that Sobers was a good support bowler without quite having the cutting edge to really make it as a front-line bowler. Less that 3 wickets a test is not a fantastic return for a bowler.

I think Sobers may have been a better bowler if he did not try and bowl so much different stuff. Anybody can bowl a lot of different styles of bowling but to what quality. It would seem that he was best with his left-arm swing/seam and perhaps should have concentrated on this.

But maybe it suited both him and WI for him to be just there for variation. His bowling then suffers personally but to the team's benefit. And really his bowling was just a side benefit to his batting. Who knows how much his batting may have suffered if he worked more on his bowling.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Then how many wickets Steve Waugh has ?
Steve Waugh didn't bowl hell lot of overs every match...And more importantly, I feel all posters in this thread (including Bhupinder and Kazo) will agree that Sobers was a better bowler than Waugh...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Steve Waugh didn't bowl hell lot of overs every match...
Proof enough that it is not easy bowling that many overs for that long without actually being good.

And more importantly, I feel all posters in this thread (including Bhupinder and Kazo) will agree that Sobers was a better bowler than Waugh...
Sobers will be pleased with this generosity.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Sobers will be pleased with this generosity.
Immaterial...You brought the instance of Steve Waugh...But from where does it come?...Who says here that Waugh was better than Sobers?...Problem is that your point was invalid, and after that you are making pointless fun of my comment...Afterall, you aren't LT, come on.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Immaterial...You brought the instance of Steve Waugh...But from where does it come?...Who says here that Waugh was better than Sobers?...Problem is that your point was invalid, and after that you are making pointless fun of my comment...Afterall, you aren't LT, come on.

:laugh: Another snipe at me, people are starting to suspect you're a stalker.

I like the argument that someone is bound to take a lot of wickets just because they bowl a lot of balls.:laugh:
Give me as many overs as Sobers bowled & I'm pretty sure I will take atleast 235 wickets after playing 93 matches.If bowling lot of overs thing was not true,why would he have such a high strike rate & low wkts per match(quite similar to that of Sami & Agarkar)?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
No,that is not fair enough Fusion.If I & Kazo are just using stats to prove Sobers was a mediocre bowler then pro-Sobers community is also just using articles of different journalists to prove Sobers was a fine or good bowler.They have the right to keep us away from discussion only if they use anything beside those articles and opinions that Sobers was a good enough to get a chance to bowl in an alltime XI.Otherwise,they have absolutely no right to ask us to keep away from these threads.
We obviously have different viewpoints. You say Sobers' was mediocre. I say overall he was average. Only when people say look at his peak, I will say look at his non-peak (there he was mediocre, if not just plain bad).

I m saying that someone who has 235 test wickets has to be a good bowler .... he said that Sobers got 235 wkts because he got to bowl a hell lot of overs and not because he is good .... I m then saying that why would someone who is not good get to bowl a hell lot of overs [and that too over a period of 90 tests]

my point is centered someone picking 235 wkts being good .... so where does Giles being an amazing bowler come into this? :wacko: .... or are you trying to claim that Sobers was not a good bowler
It's not a question of good, but being good enough. He was good enough to take 235 wickets, bowling 40 overs a match for 93 tests. But does that feat overall make him good? No.

He was expensive per wicket and he took a lot of overs to take those wickets as well. I'd say Sobers was an average bowler overall, in the grand scheme of things, and that was good enough.

Proof enough that it is not easy bowling that many overs for that long without actually being good.
While that longevity is indeed a great trait, it does not necessarily translate into talent or ability as a bowler.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
For achieving that feat,I'll have to be Sami or Agarkar with no tention of being dropped.I think many on this forum can do that,not just me.
Many on this forum can be a Sami or an Agarkar! ... You should have told that to me earlier...I would have left this place in shame, being an average college level player that I am...