• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in England

sideshowtim

Banned
Anyone else listening to TMS at the moment? Graham Thorpe has a real Aussie twang now - I didn't realise it was him at first.

I expect him to start every sentence with "aw, look ..."
Oi! Thorpe isn't fit to polish Punter's shoes! Spent a couple of years with the NSW squad so I'd say that'd contribute to his accent.

Anyone see Punter on the AFL Footy Show tonight? Legend!

pasag

RTDAS
Tendulkar topped scored for India in the last Test, an excellent win away from home, I can't believe we're having this discussion and he's not even out yet!

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Last 4 overs, Tendulkar 21 balls 5 runs, Ganguly 3 balls 2 runs.

Last 5 overs, Tendulkar 24 balls 5 runs, Ganguly 6 balls 9 runs.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Good sensible partnership here by India. It would be fantastic if India end the day only three down, regardless of the score. Even if they put a hold on scoring, they would still end up around 300, which is perfectly fine.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I'm sorry, but why is this bad?
It is just an indication of how tough it is for Tendulkar to make some runs out there in the middle where everyone else is batting fluently. And it is bad because if everyone starts scoring at that rate then we will have 100 runs in an entire day.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It is just an indication of how tough it is for Tendulkar to make some runs out there in the middle where everyone else is batting fluently. And it is bad because if everyone starts scoring at that rate then we will have 100 runs in an entire day.
But thats not how Test cricket works. You usually have a couple guys scoring slower and a couple guys scoring faster. The run rate for this partnership is 2.85, which is good solid Test cricket. Nothing less.

sideshowtim

Banned
But thats not how Test cricket works. You usually have a couple guys scoring slower and a couple guys scoring faster. The run rate for this partnership is 2.85, which is good solid Test cricket. Nothing less.
I really think they should be playing the conditions. The conditions are BEAUTIFUL for attacking cricket. Karthik showed that. 2.85 is okay as long as the conditions call for it, but people must realise that this is a faster era of cricket, and 2.85 probably isn't acceptable on a pitch like this anyway.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
He is just lucky to be out there, he has not played any solid cricket, others have and that's the point I am trying to make.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I really think they should be playing the conditions. The conditions are BEAUTIFUL for attacking cricket. Karthik showed that. 2.85 is okay as long as the conditions call for it, but people must realise that this is a faster era of cricket, and 2.85 probably isn't acceptable on a pitch like this anyway.
Yes, it is! India's job is not to make a big total fast, it's to score as fast as they can without losing wickets. They will bat for as long as they have wickets, there will be no declaration. 2.85 is perfectly fine, I wouldn't mind if that run rate remains through the rest of the Indian innings, regardless of who is playing. At 2.85, they will score another 260 runs tomorrow, which would put them at 560 or so at the end of the day tomorrow.

I would take that ten times out of ten in Test match cricket, regardless of the pitch, conditions or bowling.

He is just lucky to be out there, he has not played any solid cricket, others have.
Ah yes, solid cricket like the type played by Dhoni....the type where you close your eyes and swing regardless of how much your team needs a draw or a win. You get out and cost your team the series, but look on the bright side: you scored a 40 with an S/R of 100.

pasag

RTDAS
Ah yes, solid cricket like the type played by Dhoni....the type where you close your eyes and swing regardless of how much your team needs a draw or a win. You get out and cost your team the series, but look on the bright side: you scored a 40 with an S/R of 100.
Whilst I agree with you and Prince here and don't think Tendulkar should be critised here at all, there is no doubt that the cricket played by Karthik, Jaffer and Dravid was bright and attractive cricket whereas this is, well, boring. It wasn't Dhoni style 'close your eyes and swing' either.

But yeah, good partnership and it doesn't really matter how fast or attractive the runs are, especially at this stage of the match and series.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Typical aggresive argument.

No solid cricket that was played by KDK and RD and one that is being played by Ganguly. The way Tendulkar is playing, he is a walking wicket.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Whilst I agree with you and Prince here and don't think Tendulkar should be critised here at all, there is no doubt that the cricket played by Karthik, Jaffer and Tendulkar was bright and attractive cricket whereas this is, well, boring. It wasn't Dhoni style slogging either.

But yeah, good partnership and it doesn't really matter how fast or attractive the runs are, especially at this stage of the match and series.
No one is saying he is looking anywhere near the touch he was five years ago, but if you are criticizing a guy when you're 274/3 on the first day and the person is 33* and you desperately need a draw or a win to seal the biggest away series victory in 20 years, you're just being ludicrous.

stumpski

International Captain
India's only objective here is to bat England out of the game and if they bat until tea-time tomorrow I don't think there'll be any complaints about the scoring rate, it's still well over 3 for the innings.

Collingwood on now - I take it the new ball's due soon.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Typical aggresive argument.

No solid cricket that was played by KDK and RD and one that is being played by Ganguly. The way Tendulkar is playing, he is a walking wicket.
But he is still walking, and he is about to outscore Jaffer in a couple runs....

That, regardless of what you think his innings looks like, is more important.

pasag

RTDAS
No one is saying he is looking anywhere near the touch he was five years ago, but if you are criticizing a guy when you're 274/3 on the first day and the person is 33* and you desperately need a draw or a win to seal the biggest away series victory in 20 years, you're just being ludicrous.
...which is what I said in my post.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I dont care if India wins the series, I would rather like to watch good cricket.