• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in South Africa

archie mac

International Coach
Players are there to entertain - criticise their performance, by all means but personal abuse of the type displayed with Murali, the SA team in OZ AND here (why some people are attempting to overlook the role of the "fans" because theyre Pakistanis is beyond comprehension) should not be tolerated.

In circumstances such as above, I can understand Murali giving the guy the finger. Whilst it's a totally unoriginal and ineffective response, it's understandable nonetheless.

As for the South Africans, do you really think that they let the guys off scott-free?

Chances are that they gave them a spray before reporting them to whoever.

Again understandable.

Point is that players are not robots - if I had a bunch of ignorant racist pigs abusing me or my team mates and hitting players with flags etc, I'd have said a lot worse than Gibbs and I know many test players that would have done more

I was once playing with a test bowler who, having been abused by 2 guys on the hill for about 15 minutes, as he was walking back to his mark, suddenly broke into a trot, then a run, jumped the fence and chased the guys thru a park.
It is simple report it to the authorities, they will throw the offenders out of the ground, take the moral high ground. Surely they must be given info. on what to do?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It is simple report it to the authorities, they will throw the offenders out of the ground, take the moral high ground. Surely they must be given info. on what to do?
Oh really, so everyone retains their composure in situations such as occurred here?

Sorry, doesnt happen

archie mac

International Coach
Oh really, so everyone retains their composure in situations such as occurred here?

Sorry, doesnt happen
If they don't then they pay the price, it is called life, and Mr Gibbs would have had that sort of thing happen any number of times. He should know better, and a two match band will help him to show control next time:)

I am not saying the crowd should be able to yell abuse, but he had other options, picked the wrong one, simple

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Seriously, what's the relevance of that comment? Different organisations handing out the punishments, different situations, different transgressions. There's no comparison.
Sorry, I forgot the ICC was a different body of people from the ICC.

FRAZ

International Captain
Footage shown of Akhtar bowling in the nets in the morning. Fraz will be delighted.
It is always a great sign to see the legend coming in again .After all the mess that satanic people created around him ,a great sign and you know what its definitely good for the cricket .
The other day ,I saw his interview on Geo and the great man said "I don't think that I am a great bowler or whatever ,I am just a humble servant for my country" . Genuinely intelligent statement from the legend.
On behalf of every one on this board I will say that "Shoaib Akhtar welcome back and give the wicket to Gibbs in the One dayers and cheers "!!!!!!!!!

FRAZ

International Captain
Can't believe people are trying to justify the comment on the grounds of its not racist. It may not have been intended to be racist, but the minute you insinuate a coloured minority with 'zoo animals' you're making a racist statement, and that's simply the case due to the disgusting history of various racial occurences in many countries. You can't just ignore it.
Excellent Jono !!!!!!!!!

FRAZ

International Captain
Saw Inzamam's interview and he said that "level of umpiring definately needs improvement and I shouldn't be saying it on air but every one watched how was the standard of the umpiring in the first test match ." he further said "If the mistakes are balanced towards the both sides at the end of the match then we can say that it's a human error but if the momentum of human errors is only towards one side then what else we can say " :laugh: :laugh: what a pathetic statement !!!!!!!!

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Of course they are given advice but people react differently in real-life situations - that's called being human

BTW, why wasnt Murali banned for his obscene gesture?

archie mac

International Coach
Of course they are given advice but people react differently in real-life situations - that's called being human

BTW, why wasnt Murali banned for his obscene gesture?
I agree with you that he is only human, and he made a mistake, but still if someone calls me a name and I head butt them, I can't use the excuse I react differently.

I don't think he meant to be racist, but still was not a good thing and I felt the ban fair enough, but I would have been happy with one Test, and if on appeal it is reduced to that, I would not mind.

Not sure why Murali was not banned, I don't think Gibbs should have been banned if he had given the crowd the 'bird' it is just a finger after all, it always amused me when they edit out people giving the finger on TV chat shows:laugh:

FRAZ

International Captain
I agree with you that he is only human, and he made a mistake, but still if someone calls me a name and I head butt them, I can't use the excuse I react differently.

I don't think he meant to be racist, but still was not a good thing and I felt the ban fair enough, but I would have been happy with one Test, and if on appeal it is reduced to that, I would not mind.

Not sure why Murali was not banned, I don't think Gibbs should have been banned if he had given the crowd the 'bird' it is just a finger after all, it always amused me when they edit out people giving the finger on TV chat shows:laugh:
Somewhat I agree and disagree with you tbh ... The Gibbs' intention wasn't fair at all and and I dunno much Archie man its a deep $%^t . I hate hate tbh .I won't tolerate any sort of patheticism at any cost .Oh yes ! but if Gibbs' publicly announces that it was his mistake and if doesn't lie that it was "un-intentional" and if he says that he will never do it again then its may be good but the ban was light in the first place and it should stay as it is .

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting to read in this mornings Pretoria News that SA will rest both Pollock and Ntini before the series concludes.

The debate being play both in the next test, hope for a 2-0 advantage and then rest both in the 3rd test or rest 1 at a time in different tests. IMO, it could be dangerous to rest them at anytime and the article goes on to say that a lot depends on Steyns return to fitness.

Also interesting to see that Gibbs will play in the 2nd test due to the appeals process.

Also. on the front page is a photo (of a guy holding his Harris signed hat) and article on 3 South African Pakistanis who blame Paul Harris for the incident.

Their version of events being, along the lines, that they were in Pakistani clothing and asked Harris for his autograph. His did so and whilst doing it the guy told Harris he should not be playing and Paul Adams ahould have his place.

To which Harris supposedly replied something like "What the **** would you know, you are a traitor supporting Pakistan".

They continued to abuse him and Harris, supposedly whilst on the field, asked security to have them removed.

They are asking for Harris to make a full apology.

Now, obviously that is only 1 side of the story only and there are bound to be differences between different versions.

One thing that is obvious, the crowd and their negative reaction to the SA team surely affected the players and their cool.

Last edited:

FRAZ

International Captain
One thing that is obvious, the crowd and their negative reaction to the SA team surely affected the players and their cool.
I agree if whatever crowd said was wrong , but what was the point of the racial slurs right away inside the field .

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I agree if whatever crowd said was wrong , but what was the point of the racial slurs right away inside the field .
Oh, I agree. Thats why I seem to be 1 of the few that agree with a 2 game ban.

BTW, as it was Broad who gave this ban maybe we should see a decline in the Broad is racist and hates Asians comments that come from a number of sources.

It is always a great sign to see the legend coming in again .After all the mess that satanic people created around him ,a great sign and you know what its definitely good for the cricket .
The other day ,I saw his interview on Geo and the great man said "I don't think that I am a great bowler or whatever ,I am just a humble servant for my country" . Genuinely intelligent statement from the legend.
On behalf of every one on this board I will say that "Shoaib Akhtar welcome back and give the wicket to Gibbs in the One dayers and cheers "!!!!!!!!!
Shoaib Akhtar is a good bowler but since when has he become a legend?

Rob T

Cricket Spectator
'Harris is to blame for cricket row' Pak fans

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Harris is to blame for cricket row'

By Barry Bateman

The three cricket supporters involved in the Herschelle Gibbs controversy claim Paul Harris is to blame for the entire debacle.

Zeeshan Khalique, a Pakistani supporter, and South African supporters Towhid Hasan and Mohammed Hasan were ejected from SuperSport Park, Centurion, on Sunday during the first Test between South Africa and Pakistan.

They claim Harris overreacted after they heckled him from the sidelines and spurred Gibbs's reaction after complaining to captain Graeme Smith.

'He doesn't give a f*** what we think'
Khalique said they arrived at the stadium two hours before lunch and took up their seats close to the screen in the front near the pitch.

Hasan said Khalique made a remark at Harris about his bowling.

"He said Harris was lucky South Africa needed a spin bowler and that Paul Adams should replace him.

"Harris turned to us and said that he doesn't give a f*** what we think. He told Zeeshan that he was a traitor and he should f*** off back to Pakistan."

Towhid said when Harris returned to the sideline, he approached Harris for an autograph telling him that he believed in him.

Khalique said Harris went back to bowl and was doing well. "He made a few maiden overs then bowled out Faisel Iqbal. When he did this, he turned to us and made the rude gestures again.

"The players had a team talk on the field and while Harris was talking to Smith he pointed at us. At that point, Andrew Hall ran to a nearby security guard. Minutes later a number of security guards surrounded us and ******ed us out of the grounds."

Towhid said the three tried to explain their side of the story to the security guards. "They would not listen to us."

Mohammed said: "I want Harris to apologise for the way he behaved and I advise Gibbs to know the whole story before making remarks."

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=6&click_id=4&art_id=vn20070117070336968C769930