• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2019-20

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yes. I regret not going more over the last few years really. I think I've actually been to more matches at Griffin Park than any other ground, come to think of it. Many fond memories.

Bees v Rotherham in 2003 in the pouring rain when Brentford attempted to pass the ball back to the goalkeeper from a corner, resulting in a Rotherham goal, is something I won't ever forget I don't think.

Jon Macken appearing for Carlisle and being awful even in League 1 another amusing memory.

You'll have to let me know when you are down for a match.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It has all changed so much and yet because the ground is exactly the same it also so very familiar. I am sure it will be great in the new ground but these few years have been special.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Arsenal are a ****ing shambles. Wouldn't be at all surprised if the club have gone back on a promise made to Koscielny.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It does seem alarmingly out of character, but who knows.

In any event, I'd be surprised if we see him in an Arsenal shirt again.

cpr

International Coach
Well we are collecting rather underwhelming defenders....

Sounds a bit like the club have already told him he's not getting a contract, or at least the one he wants, whilst also telling him they won't let him leave now (think Bordeaux want him). Screws him doubly as makes him feel completely underappreciated whilst also stopping him from getting a decent final deal

Jarquis

And either giving him a new long term contract or allowing him to leave for free would screw us over... we're not a charity.

We need him for the next season unless we can get a decent fee in now to put towards a replacement. However, we don't want to commit to a long term contract for an aging player with a recent history of severe injuries. It's that simple.

cpr

International Coach
Well cash in then, there's offers apparently on the table. But he can't really sit around for 12 months with no contract beyond. He's getting on, the offer in 12 months time, if it comes at all, is going to be a fair bit lower than the offers now. Like you say he's injury prone, if he gets another knock that could turn offers away. He needs to sort his future now - theres offers out there, none from Arsenal, being stubborn about it, saying you 'need' him (but not valuing him with a contract), is naturally going to **** him off. Imagine if your boss told you he was going to lay you off in 12 months time, but was actively stopping you moving to another department, you'd be absolutely fuming.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well cash in then, there's offers apparently on the table. But he can't really sit around for 12 months with no contract beyond. He's getting on, the offer in 12 months time, if it comes at all, is going to be a fair bit lower than the offers now. Like you say he's injury prone, if he gets another knock that could turn offers away. He needs to sort his future now - theres offers out there, none from Arsenal, being stubborn about it, saying you 'need' him (but not valuing him with a contract), is naturally going to **** him off. Imagine if your boss told you he was going to lay you off in 12 months time, but was actively stopping you moving to another department, you'd be absolutely fuming.
Well then he shouldn’t have signed the contract?

Jarquis

The offers on the table obviously don't reflect how Arsenal value the contributions he'd make in the next 12 months.

But yeah, Arsenal are under no obligation to release him because he asked nicely. He signed the contract and shouldn't be surprised if he's held to it.

Last edited:

andmark

International Captain
I'm thinking out loud here, but I've wondered for a while whether Arsenal should try to get Joe Gomez. Young CB, a good player to my judgement, and Transfermarkt value him at €35 million. I get that Liverpool would want more for him, but he's got to be a better option than an ageing and potentially unruly Koscielny and could be a long term option. I don't know, what do the Arsenal cult here think?

Jarquis

Well there's absolutely no chance that Liverpool would sell for anything less than pretty much the entirety of our budget for this window..

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'm thinking out loud here, but I've wondered for a while whether Arsenal should try to get Joe Gomez. Young CB, a good player to my judgement, and Transfermarkt value him at €35 million. I get that Liverpool would want more for him, but he's got to be a better option than an ageing and potentially unruly Koscielny and could be a long term option. I don't know, what do the Arsenal cult here think?
Hahahahahahahaha

flibbertyjibber

Well there's absolutely no chance that Liverpool would sell for anything less than pretty much the entirety of our budget for this window..
Would say there is zero chance they would sell one of their brightest young prospects full stop. Yes they might if they had a stupid bid of ridiculous money but Arsenal don't have that at present.

duffer

Lol, so less than a month to go before our season starts and the window shuts and we've signed a grand total of zero players ready to contribute to the first team.

Links regarding our major targets (Tierney and Zaha) have gone ice cold. We're going in weaker than last season aren't we?

Jarquis

Would say there is zero chance they would sell one of their brightest young prospects full stop. Yes they might if they had a stupid bid of ridiculous money but Arsenal don't have that at present.
Well apparently Palace want 80m for Zaha - so if we (a) have that money and (b) threw it all at Gomez ; then I'm sure Liverpool would think about it.

Beyond stupid from an Arsenal PoV though.

flibbertyjibber

Well apparently Palace want 80m for Zaha - so if we (a) have that money and (b) threw it all at Gomez ; then I'm sure Liverpool would think about it.

Beyond stupid from an Arsenal PoV though.
Well you aren't going to spend all the money on one defender when there are so many other areas that need strengthening. Manager in a no win situation as wherever he strengthens people will say but what about needing to replace so and so.