• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hate their personality, love their game.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
been noticing this style of writing from ***** for a while now. just curious as to what it's called, no other comment.
Anaphora is where you repeat the same introductory clause in consecutive sentences like that. I suppose it's also antithesis for providing them in contrast.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I dunno, I don't even box. I love heading the football though, which is also pretty bad for my brain. But I'd be miserable if I didn't play. When I miss a few weeks with injury I can feel the depression creeping back in. I look at a lot of boxers and MMAists and where else are they going to get the same sense of purpose and self-worth? Most people aren't built to be content in an adrenaline-free life.
Do you actually enjoy specifically heading the ball or do you just enjoy football and heading is part of it?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Oh. That sucks. Outlawing it till we can figure out a way for big blokes to be able to smash other big blokes in the head without endangering their long-term safety is the only way to go about it, then.
God forbid people make their own decisions. Legislate everything.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
GIMH I've got the impression recently that you're not a fan of regulation. Is that a fair assessment?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Do you actually enjoy specifically heading the ball or do you just enjoy football and heading is part of it?
Yeah I love heading the ball specifically. So satisfying when you get a good connection. Like nailing a golf swing.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah I love heading the ball specifically. So satisfying when you get a good connection. Like nailing a golf swing.
Fair enough. Probably the thing I least like about football, especially as a tall CB who's supposed to do it a lot.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
With all the Arsenal in your blood you're probably more inclined to duck....

Just getting there before someone else

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In the end, I do have increasing problems with watching boxing in my old age, probably stems from watching the Watson fight and many others, never even tried to watch things like MMA. Yet as others have said, it'll go underground if banned, so watcha going to do, I've stopped watching it, works for me.

I actually have the same qualms about National Hunt racing which I used to love, been to a few race meetings where the old screen has been put round a horse, but it's pretty dangerous for the rider too, again I've just stopped watching, I'm just squeamish, but not going to force my thoughts on others.

Motor sport another intersting one, and I wouldn't mind if the Isle of Man slaughter was banned, but in general it's so much safer then it was when I watched it in my youth, when I was clearly a lot less squeamish, in fact possibly the opposite. Don't watch it much either, but that's more I just find it dull.

Mansell was good to watch back then, but a total dick by all accounts.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Yeah I can't stand boxing and think Vimes' oiriginal and follow up posts were bang-on, but banning it is a terrible idea.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The pizza I'm about to eat would be illegal if vcs was king of the world
Well producing it involved the rape and lifelong exploitation of a sentient being. All hail king vcs I say.

Anyway.

My Granddad was boxing champion of New Zealand in his weight division, and also went to the olympics as a referee. He met Dempsey, Ali, Frasier etc and was a lifelong member of the NZ boxing association and was granted free access to any fight held in NZ. I was quite close to him, I used to go hunting with him and went to plenty of fights (so long as I agreed not to tell mum). Soon after he retired he got dementia. I stayed at his place quite often during high school, observing him getting worse and worse.

Not a comment either way, just a memory. Personally I'm very conflicted on the issue.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Boxing is very hard to justify on ethical or moral grounds; it is, essentially, one chap attempting to incapacite another to such an extent that he's unable to take his guard after a count of ten after all.

However it is occasionally a thrilling spectacle. Its governance makes the ICB look efficient and well-oiled, but, boiled down to its basics, it is arguably the most honest of sports. There's something thrillingly primal about two well matched boxers going toe-to-toe and sometimes their bravery is to the detriment of their health. The injuries sustained by, amongst others, Michael Watson and Gerald McClellan (not a nice man at all, but one certainly wouldn't have wished on him the twilight world of semi-living death he's been in since the Benn bout) were devastating and life changing, but they are relatively rare and, happily, the medical care that's now available during bouts means the brain damage they suffered would, at worst, not have been so devasting.

The realpolitik is that young men are always going to fight (witness any given English town centre on a Saturday night), so it's far safer that it's legal, regulated and has medical professionals on hand than would be the case were boxing banned.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well producing it involved the rape and lifelong exploitation of a sentient being. All hail king vcs I say.

Anyway.
It was vegan pizza that I made myself from scratch from completely self sourced ingredients

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It was vegan pizza that I made myself from scratch from completely self sourced ingredients
Yes but your oven was made in a factory in China where the workers were treated like slaves. The salesperson who earned the commission from you is a meat lover and a racist.

Should've made it on an open fire :/