• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hate their personality, love their game.

cnerd123

likes this
I simply dont like the fact that fighters are frequently allowed to pound away on somebody who is basically defenseless
If you've trained bjj and understand the rules of MMA you know this is rarely the case. You can always defend yourself on the ground from a GnP, and the moment it's clear you're helpless the referee is supposed to step in and stop the fight

Sure there are occasions you can point to where someone took a lot more shots than they should have, but you could also point to boxing matches where a clearly concussed fighters has been made to stand up and continue to receive punishment. Both scenarios are hardly 'frequent'.

And you would have to be naive to think a vast majority of boxing fans watch boxing to appreciate the intricacies of what is going on too. A vast majority of them watch to see two guys punch each other in the face. Look at how pissed everyone gets after their first time watching Floyd Mayweather. Just because a large majority of people watch boxing to see brutality doesn't suddenly make the whole sport of Boxing barbaric. The same goes for MMA

I'd actually argue MMA is far more accessible to the average fan, since it mirrors the kind of fighting you see on TV shows and action movies a lot more than Boxing does. People are going to intuitively understand someone ducking under a punch and shooting for a takedown a lot more than they'd understand a boxer bobbing and weaving IMO. Again, it's why Mayweather fights don't appeal to casual fans while boring MMA fighters like GSP did.

Last edited:

King Pietersen

International Captain
I simply dont like the fact that fighters are frequently allowed to pound away on somebody who is basically defenselesst
It really isn't that frequent. Normally when guys are getting ground-and-pounded they're intelligently defending themselves and actively looking to advance to a more advantageous position. There's only the odd example, Henderson-Bisping for example where guys have taken shots when defenceless. The referees in MMA are normally very good and will intervene before it gets to the stage where a prone opponent is taking unnecessary punishment, and more often than not they tend to stop things earlier rather than later, at the highest level anyway.

Flem274*

123/5
EVERY wage earner's life situation is dependent on whether they get that next promotion, how quickly they learn that new skill, how good at office politics they are etc etc. We ALL only have ourselves to blame. You're describing the struggle of life that is not at all unique to MMA. Intelligence, social intelligence, artfulness etc are all arguably far more relevent and not represented at all in MMA. We can choose not to excuse ourself for any failing.

You don't get to affront criticism because of passion.
haha, so true

to veer wildly off topic, it has always annoyed me when commentators and fans have tried to compare their chosen sport to life. sport isn't like real life, that's the whole point of sport. sport is clarity. there's no outside noise, you just have a game with rules and clearly defined roles and you know if you tick the boxes and do your job you will more likely than not put in a good performance.

i love sport for being so simple and earthy compared to the complexity of navigating the rest of life.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If you like the steroid-assisted knockouts of the 80s and 90s then yeah, today's boxing is pretty boring.
Clearly the golden age of boxing was before the 80s and 90s.

But yeah I mean I'm not going to pretend Tyson wasn't more entertaining than Klitschko or Mayweather.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Clearly the golden age of boxing was before the 80s and 90s.

But yeah I mean I'm not going to pretend Tyson wasn't more entertaining than Klitschko or Mayweather.
The welter/light-/middleweight division was pretty decent in the 80s, but also partly 70s. Hagler, Hearns, Leonard, Duran.

Does show how my views have changed though, this was one of my fave sporting moments back then, just brutal now looking back.

Liked Hagler, but calling himself "marvelous" by deed poll was a bit of a dickish mood. Still trying to keep on-topic.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If you've trained bjj and understand the rules of MMA you know this is rarely the case. You can always defend yourself on the ground from a GnP, and the moment it's clear you're helpless the referee is supposed to step in and stop the fight

Sure there are occasions you can point to where someone took a lot more shots than they should have, but you could also point to boxing matches where a clearly concussed fighters has been made to stand up and continue to receive punishment. Both scenarios are hardly 'frequent'.

And you would have to be naive to think a vast majority of boxing fans watch boxing to appreciate the intricacies of what is going on too. A vast majority of them watch to see two guys punch each other in the face. Look at how pissed everyone gets after their first time watching Floyd Mayweather. Just because a large majority of people watch boxing to see brutality doesn't suddenly make the whole sport of Boxing barbaric. The same goes for MMA

I'd actually argue MMA is far more accessible to the average fan, since it mirrors the kind of fighting you see on TV shows and action movies a lot more than Boxing does. People are going to intuitively understand someone ducking under a punch and shooting for a takedown a lot more than they'd understand a boxer bobbing and weaving IMO. Again, it's why Mayweather fights don't appeal to casual fans while boring MMA fighters like GSP did.
GnP is fine and an integral part of the sport

I dont like situations such as Holm v Rousey where Ronda was basically out of it before copping a kick and then a couple of hammerfists when prone on the mat

I dont blame Holm as it was according to the rules but it's inevitable that someone will get seriously hurt whilst that continues

cnerd123

likes this
GnP is fine and an integral part of the sport

I dont like situations such as Holm v Rousey where Ronda was basically out of it before copping a kick and then a couple of hammerfists when prone on the mat

I dont blame Holm as it was according to the rules but it's inevitable that someone will get seriously hurt whilst that continues
Holm literally went through something just like in boxing though

How is this any more acceptable in MMA.

The fact is all striking sports have elements of this. Muay Thai has this, Kickboxing has this. It's just what happens. And it isn't all that frequent either. To be turned off MMA but not boxing due to this just strikes me as being inconsistent.

Burgey

Why do you need a consistent reason to dislike or like one sport over another ffs? Who gives a ****?

cnerd123

likes this
It's the principle dammit

Don't go 'I hate X because of Y' and then when proven 'Y' is wrong try to insist that 'Y' is right

Burgey

A reasonable point, however, the site has rightly acknowledged that I was right on that occasion. In fact, you should test my theory out by walking into an MMA dojo, assume the nickname of one of the established fighters and see how you get on.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Whether it's objectively worse from a health outcomes perspective or on the basis of any vague notion of fairness isn't the point though. The reasons for liking or disliking a sport are never going to be rational in any objective sense. Being able to inflict violence on someone prone compared to someone still on their feet is plenty of distinction when you're talking about something this trivial.

I'm not a fan of any combat sport ftr.

Spikey

John Cena just gave this response when asked about Chris Benoit | Metro News

Think its an appropriate one for this thread. FWIW, I think Cena is absolutely right. Today, we, as in society, seem to be a lot more forgiving of bad human behaviour as long as these folks are good at what they do. And honestly, once it goes beyond just a character flaw, I think it should not be that way.
Cena got a bit of praise for this, but I thought it was kinda a ****** answer, if only because WWE is more than willing to sell the shirts of noted domestic abuser Stone Cold Steve Austin, and would spend millions to get him back into the ring. The WWE didn't take a stand or anything. As CM Punk said, it simply made no sense for WWE to promote him anymore. The end.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Cena got a bit of praise for this, but I thought it was kinda a ****** answer, if only because WWE is more than willing to sell the shirts of noted domestic abuser Stone Cold Steve Austin, and would spend millions to get him back into the ring. The WWE didn't take a stand or anything. As CM Punk said, it simply made no sense for WWE to promote him anymore. The end.

Again, I am not really talking about that specific instance though and even Cena gave a general comment, before tying it up to some WWE "policy" etc. Any which way, the main gist of his statement is what I felt was very valid. You are right about WWE's selective social consciousness, but that's honestly true with any entity these days.