• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2017/18

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I am pretty vocal about the way modern football has ruined itself, but to point at two clubs in isolation is bonkers

Low grade championship reserves earn more than directors at multinationals. This ain’t just city and united splashing cash that others don’t have.

And at any level, money alone will get you nowhere. Anyone who’s experienced the sheer hell of the conference can point to that as clubs like Dover and Eastleigh have splashed cash like no tomorrow and to no avail. Forest Green did it at the 403rd attempt. We get the biggest crowds in the division and languish in 14th.

As sledger said, look at Everton. Look at the seasons Tottenham and Liverpool had after selling Bale/Suarez and spending the lot.

And it’s not like it’s a new thing. It’s always been that way and always will be. The top players get the top money and the top clubs can pay the most money.

Pointing out the cash when they’ve had success is pointless. They’ve still got to get the job done.
Money does undeniably help though, lower leagues especially. Saw it round here with Histon. For most of their history they'd floated around the Eastern Counties League (4 tiers below the Conference), then a local (semi-dodgy, allegedly) businessman pumped in shed loads (for that level) of wedge and they got as far as the Conference in about 2008 (famously made the FA Cup third round proper). Spent a fair amount getting their ground Conf ready too.

Then the western financial system collapses, matey is left without a pot to piss in, withdraws all funding and they rapidly head down to Conference North, Southern League Premier, Southern League First Div and back to the Eastern Counties Prem from wence they sprang. Probably have the nicest ground in the country for that level too.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Money does undeniably help though, lower leagues especially. Saw it round here with Histon. For most of their history they'd floated around the Eastern Counties League (4 tiers below the Conference), then a local (semi-dodgy, allegedly) businessman pumped in shed loads (for that level) of wedge and they got as far as the Conference in about 2008 (famously made the FA Cup third round proper). Spent a fair amount getting their ground Conf ready too.

Then the western financial system collapses, matey is left without a pot to piss in, withdraws all funding and they rapidly head down to Conference North, Southern League Premier, Southern League First Div and back to the Eastern Counties Prem from wence they sprang. Probably have the nicest ground in the country for that level too.
****. I'd erased them from memory. Beat us in cup, dark days.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Football economics is ****ing weird. Having lots of money is supposed to give you less market power. Literally the opposite of the way the rest of the world works. And because everyone in the game believes it, it sort of becomes true.
Kinda why I like sports :ph34r:

I think the big tenet of football economics is that clubs will always run at a loss though, because everyone believes the big break is just around the corner. Except Arsenal.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Oh aye. Solihull winning the conference would be as remarkable as Leicester winning the Prem in its own way. There are no magic tickets is all.

Salford City are giving it a go mind. Enticed players away from us and Gateshead last summer, despite being a level lower. I hope they crash and burn

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Reckon the 1961 (Tottenham) side might beg to differ, but it's up there.
Pre-EPL mate, so doesn't count, despite winning the double.

That being said, there is so much to admire about the current Spurs side, isn't there.
As there is about their manager of course. I'd love to see him managing England one day, although we both know that appointing an Argie won't happen.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pre-EPL mate, so doesn't count, despite winning the double.

That being said, there is so much to admire about the current Spurs side, isn't there.
As there is about their manager of course. I'd love to see him managing England one day, although we both know that appointing an Argie won't happen.
Yeah I find them very easy to get behind, which is rare for an English team in Europe. Lots to like about the team and manager, but not knowing many of their fans helps too.

cpr

International Coach
Whats more amazing than those passes is the number of them Walcott ****ed up from 8 yards out.