• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2017/18

cpr

International Coach
Bit harsh to do it to a Utd player, when we were the team that came down for their managers testimonial to try and maximise the gates & income for him. Saying clubs at the top don't know/care is a long stretch.

Besides, most would agree Chester folding is no bad thing....

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bit harsh to do it to a Utd player, when we were the team that came down for their managers testimonial to try and maximise the gates & income for him. Saying clubs at the top don't know/care is a long stretch.

Besides, most would agree Chester folding is no bad thing....
Just going by what I have seen online from fans of lower league clubs, most are disgusted at the wages at the top and say that those clubs don't care about ones lower down.

As for Chester it is the worst away day ever for a fan of my lot as they can't organise a booze up in a brewery at that club and getting out of the ground after a game is a nightmare.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
8471 at Wrexham yesterday including 1800 of us, absolute belter of a derby. Attendances like that in the fifth tier are just ridiculous. Quite a title race shaping up at the top too. Up the ****ing whites

Spikey

I hadn't been keeping up with the news and was very shocked when watching the highlights. Stick to goal-line decisions thanks. Maybe in possible red card situations too

Uppercut

It’ll hopefully get a lot better but I don’t think I’ll ever like it personally. Indicative of the game being taken far too seriously when it’s considered worth taking 5 minute breaks every time there’s a borderline decision to be made. Football’s rules are so ambiguous that most of the time there is no right or wrong decision anyway.

One of the things that worries me is that we’ll get to the point where almost every goal goes through VAR. And that means nobody will celebrate properly, neither the fans nor the players. I think people that have been into football for a long time forget how important that spontaneous emotional reaction is, especially people (like me) who don’t get to games very often. If you lose that then the game loses 80%+ of its initial appeal.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
One of the things that worries me is that we’ll get to the point where almost every goal goes through VAR. And that means nobody will celebrate properly, neither the fans nor the players. I think people that have been into football for a long time forget how important that spontaneous emotional reaction is, especially people (like me) who don’t get to games very often. If you lose that then the game loses 80%+ of its initial appeal.
This is basically what happens in Rugby League and it's exactly as annoying as you think it is. It's not so much that you don't get a spontaneous emotional reaction though, it's that you often have it taken away from you. Awful feeling, particularly when you don't see an obvious reason for it being disallowed.

They use it week to week in the A-League over here. Seeing a goal get disallowed a full minute after play gets restarted is something that just shouldn't happen.

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yep. It is fine with DRS because it is not that many wickets (the no ball thing is crap though) and cricket is a different sort of sport anyway, reviews have actually added to the drama in many ways but just don't see how that happens in a sport like football.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It’s a tough one really. The standard of refereeing down in the conference is so bad and we’ve born the brunt of it for nigh on three years. By the end of August we’d already had 19 key match-impacting decisions go against us, this was backed up by the FA when we sent our own assessment in. With the high stakes we are dealing with it is infuriating to see referees decide matches. Given the millions involved higher up the pyramid, you can apply said logic again.

But all the points against in this thread are ones I largely agree with. I don’t know what the answer is, but in its current guise I would say bin it.

Goal line technology was a sensible and logical step that you can’t really argue with. We’ve had multi-page debates on here before now whether penalties were fouls. That’s not even been necessarily the laws that we are debating (though that happens too) but whether contact was made, whether someone got the ball, even with slo-mo we can often disagree on whether the first contact was inside or outside the box.

The other problems I have with it are the fact it isn’t consistently used across the competition, which to me means uneven playing conditions, and the fact it’s rubbish for the fans at the game. I’m probably a long way off worrying about it impacting a game I’m attending, but nonetheless enough has been done over the years to inconvenience matchgoers, if it can’t be implemented without a way of leaving them in the dark then you shouldn’t implement it.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Really ought to be retrospective bans for that sort of thing. Just gotta be thankful that none of them actually were season-enders

OverratedSanity

How they haven't started handing out retrospective bans for those leg breakers is beyond me. Those are potential career enders ffs.