• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2014-15

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah. Can't think of another pundit who's tipped us outside top four since Özil signed (though some probably have), and he's done it twice.

What bugs me is it's the usual cliches. The defence is weak, the midfield don't defend, squad depth, etc.
Yeah, this bothers me a lot too. The problem is, it's not only cliches, it's basic factual errors. I have no problem with the point he's making (i.e. writing Arsenal off), I'd disagree with him completely, but y'know, each to their own. What ****s me though, is that he appears to have based his views on a premise which is completely false. It's not that he has misinterpreted something, but he's just got things absolutely wrong. Suggesting Arsenal's midfield do not defend at all is just patently incorrect, and should be obvious to anyone who has watched them in absolutely ages. He's another berk, wedded to the idea that defending = having big burly guys who sit in front of the area and kick everyone who comes near it.

Another thing bugging me is that people don't seem to realise that Alexis Sanchez can play as a forward. Lots of idiots in the pub this evening kept telling me how Giroud was Arsenal's only striker, and that Sanchez was a right sided midfielder. Dire.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Pretty sure Pele rates him as one of the best players of his time
This fact is probably a decent argument that he's not one of the best players of his time tbh.

In all seriousness I sort of agree. I wouldn't say he was one of the best players of his time really if we are including all positions but he was possibly a top five striker in the world at his peak. With that being said though, he was never top of the list of strikers I hoped United would sign, even ignoring the fact that he played for Liverpool.

I think Fowler's absolute peak was better tbh, even if it didn't last quite as long.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think he was ever in the top echelon. His game was all about goals and he was only ever getting one every other game or so. There are other pure goalscorers like Ronaldo that scored far more, and there are more complete strikers like Henry that scored at least as many and contributed far more in general. Even if he were one of the top strikers in the world at one stage there'd be a huge drop-off after the guys at the top.

Who were the best strikers at his peak? Henry, Shevchenko, Batistuta, Ronaldo, Raul, Trezeguet maybe? Then there are centre-forward types like Del Piero and Bergkamp who I think most would pick ahead of Owen too.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
For the few years he was at his prime, he was definitely considered one of the top forwards. When he won the Ballon D'or it actually wasn't that ridiculous. In hindsight though, I think he was a bit overrated as he lacked an all-round game. But he was really exciting to watch because of his pace and fantastic finishing.

cpr

International Coach
I don't think he was ever in the top echelon. His game was all about goals and he was only ever getting one every other game or so. There are other pure goalscorers like Ronaldo that scored far more, and there are more complete strikers like Henry that scored at least as many and contributed far more in general. Even if he were one of the top strikers in the world at one stage there'd be a huge drop-off after the guys at the top.

Who were the best strikers at his peak? Henry, Shevchenko, Batistuta, Ronaldo, Raul, Trezeguet maybe? Then there are centre-forward types like Del Piero and Bergkamp who I think most would pick ahead of Owen too.
TBF to Owen, he contributed more than 1 in 2 at his best, his last 4 years at Liverpool (between the ages of 20 and 24) his record was impressive, better than the likes of Raul, Shevchenko and Trezeguet at the time (no one touches Ronaldo and Henry, I agree they are different class). Batistuta can fairly argue his peak was long gone by then.

Even that one year in Madrid he scored 13 in 36, Raul only got 9 in 32 (and 13 in 45 in all comps). Raul/Ronaldo tended to get the big games, the European nights etc, leaving Owen to one side. After that, well his injuries really ruin any fair analysis of his career.

Uppercut

Yeah that's really what I was getting at. I couldn't choose between them because I didn't watch much Italian or Spanish football but would just have him as part of that clump of very good strikers that weren't Henry or Ronaldo.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah that's really what I was getting at. I couldn't choose between them because I didn't watch much Italian or Spanish football but would just have him as part of that clump of very good strikers that weren't Henry or Ronaldo.
Hmmm. I reckon Spain and Italy were definitely tougher leagues than England in the early 00s so I'd definitely have the likes of Crespo, Trezeguet and particularly Shevchenko ahead of him.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
We were good tonight. Shame to lose but I was worried we might get turned over. Feeling the most genuinely positive I have as a white in years

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hmmm. I reckon Spain and Italy were definitely tougher leagues than England in the early 00s so I'd definitely have the likes of Crespo, Trezeguet and particularly Shevchenko ahead of him.
I cam't be arsed to look it up, or defend the Prem, but weren't they getting regular 4 teams in the quaters back then and a fair few in the semis.

Owen was very good until the hamstrings hit, not sure it was as long as 2006 he was quality though.

Long hard season for City I fear.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I cam't be arsed to look it up, or defend the Prem, but weren't they getting regular 4 teams in the quaters back then and a fair few in the semis.

Owen was very good until the hamstrings hit, not sure it was as long as 2006 he was quality though.

Long hard season for City I fear.
Not in the early 00s. No English club appeared in the final between 1999 and 2005, and their only semi finalists in that period were Man Utd in 2002 and Chelsea in 2004.

Pothas

Yeah. Can't think of another pundit who's tipped us outside top four since Özil signed (though some probably have), and he's done it twice.

What bugs me is it's the usual cliches. The defence is weak, the midfield don't defend, squad depth, etc.
Phil McNulty just did and used pretty much the same reasons, Owen in poor company tbh.

Uppercut

Yeah that was a weird one. His summary wasn't even especially negative. Tried to use the "might go on a cup run" to cop out of just saying he doesn't rate them as high as United or Liverpool.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
He even basically contradicts himself in the space of a few paragraphs. Says Arsenal are short on quality, but then says there is "so much talent in the squad".

His explanation for why Liverpool will finish higher is really simplistic as well, and basically boils down to: "they have bought some players".

Uppercut

I didn't expect him to have United at third either. United and Liverpool fans all seem to think the other side is **** at the moment. It's like the lack of any football allows us to live in our own happy little worlds until the season starts. Then we all get ****ed over by reality.

duffer

Any Aussies tried the football anarchy forum? Cbf signing on unless I know it's good like the now defunct thewroldgame forum.