• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2014-15

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Didn't Chelsea let him go for being too short at the age of 8?

If we don't re-establish ourselves then we won't hold on to our good players but I don't think Shaw is a bigger risk than any of the others- certainly not than guys like Herrera who will surely go to Madrid or Barca if he's a big success in England.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
The whole British player therefore won't leave thing is a bit of a myth though. So many examples of it over the years from various top clubs. Not necessarily to Real/Barca but that isn't really the point, the point is whether they leave at all. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Shaw ends up at Chelsea in a few years time whether we reestablish ourselves or not.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't sign him though tbf. Just like we shouldn't not sign someone Spanish because they might want to go back to Spain one day, especially if we get a nice transfer fee out of it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
We have the division's best player + a £600k windfall from Creswell's transfer to West Ham. Title is ours.

Uppercut

Yeah I really don't think that's a good buy. IMO Southampton's defence were made to look better than they were last season because the forwards pressed so well.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Southampton losing all their players but they keep getting excellent money for all of them. Be interesting to see if they actually spend any of it though.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Hmm, I think Lovren is fairly good, though admittedly I haven't seen much of him other than his season at Southampton and this World Cup. Perhaps £20m is steep but ignoring the fee I certainly think he will improve Liverpool.

As a more general point though it does seem to me to be worth remembering that Southampton finished comfortably below United last year. It is a simplistic way of looking at things (albeit in this case I think it does have some validity), but for all the overwhelmingly positive reviews of all the players they have sold to be true they must have been carrying some absolutely woeful players as well to have still been 8 points worse than 7th place.

Last edited:

Uppercut

It's an interesting point, but I'm not sure many are rating them highly enough for that to be true. No one actually thinks these players are better than United's or Liverpool's, but they're fairly young with decent potential and they've played in the system that big teams want to play.

It doesn't seem to add up that they finished way behind Spurs, though- I'm struggling to think of a Spurs player anyone rates. Lloris I suppose, and Eriksen was alright. And I rate Adebayor, but most don't. And their managers from last season have pretty shot reputations too.

duffer

Hmm, I think Lovren is fairly good, though admittedly I haven't seen much of him other than his season at Southampton and this World Cup. Perhaps £20m is steep but ignoring the fee I certainly think he will improve Liverpool.

As a more general point though it does seem to me to be worth remembering that Southampton finished comfortably below United last year. It is a simplistic way of looking at things (albeit in this case I think it does have some validity), but for all the overwhelmingly positive reviews of all the players they have sold to be true they must have been carrying some absolutely woeful players as well to have still been 8 points worse than 7th place.
Just saw the squad list. Their teammates weren't that horrible. 'That said I wouldn't say no to Schneiderlin.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
It doesn't seem to add up that they finished way behind Spurs, though- I'm struggling to think of a Spurs player anyone rates. Lloris I suppose, and Eriksen was alright. And I rate Adebayor, but most don't. And their managers from last season have pretty shot reputations too.
The fact that we took all 6 points on offer against Southampton might help you understand how it does add up.

People (not everyone) obviously rate Vertonghen, Dembele, Paulinho too,

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Southampton would have won a heap more games if fat Boruc hadn't been injured and they had a better striker than Lambert.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Don't remind me about Eriksen. :(

Looks like Liverpool will get the most money/value possible for Suarez, thank goodness. Just hope the deal involves Sanchez, but still think he'll go to Arsenal instead.

Suarez reportedly taken a pay-cut to go to Barca btw.

grecian

In the end just having a whole bunch of good players doesn't make a good team particularly how they settle in together, whether the back-up are decent. Not sure the West Ham side that had all the players go on to play for England and win medals was that good.

Doesn't mean all these Saints players can't flourish at their new clubs.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
In the end just having a whole bunch of good players doesn't make a good team particularly how they settle in together, whether the back-up are decent. Not sure the West Ham side that had all the players go on to play for England and win medals was that good
I don't recall anyone saying the players were much good at the time though. They had genuinely young players who went on to become better, even if the potential was always recognised. It was alluded to in here only recently how mad the Ferdinand to United signing seemed at the time. The Southampton side is comprised mostly (a couple of exceptions obviously) of players in their mid-20s and older, whereas no major team signing Joe Cole in 2000 would have pretended he was a signing in any way for the here (or there) and now.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Ferdinand went to Leeds first though (for £18m IIRC) - we didn't sign him direct from West Ham.

grecian

I don't recall anyone saying the players were much good at the time though. They had genuinely young players who went on to become better, even if the potential was always recognised. It was alluded to in here only recently how mad the Ferdinand to United signing seemed at the time. The Southampton side is comprised mostly (a couple of exceptions obviously) of players in their mid-20s and older, whereas no major team signing Joe Cole in 2000 would have pretended he was a signing in any way for the here (or there) and now.
Nah, I was a massive fan of most of them at the time, and Joe Cole was always a massive talent. You are talking to a person who watched their youth team, and thought they were the future of English football.

Mind you in the final a young right-back called Adam Newton was the biggest star, he went onto be ****. Who knows how things will turn out. Yet you are right about them being older I suppose.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
No I realise that but the point stands. In fact the fact he went to us at an even older age having played CL football and still everyone thought it mad only reinforces the point. Also it is worth remembering that West Ham side actually came 5th which is quite a lot better than anything Southampton have done.