• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lionel Messi..

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think World Cup performances matter less now given how club football has evolved over the last 20 years.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think World Cup performances matter less now given how club football has evolved over the last 20 years.

nah. would be poor form if we just judged guys in elite teams, particularly as big as madrid and barca are in their respective leagues.. Again, I say we'll wait and see how messi and chav perform at World Cups before declaring them greats, and they've probably both got 2 or 3 to do that.

Club football was better back then, IMHO, because all the best players were not drawn to a few teams.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Not sure about this playing at a World Cup criteria thing to be honest, I appreciate it may lay wieght to the claims of a player's greatness, but in the case of Messi I don't think it will really demonstrate a great deal more than we already know about him. Particularly when he's dominating a competition like the Champions League, which I would argue on average boasts better quality opposition than one can expect to find at a World Cup etc...

grecian

Not sure about this playing at a World Cup criteria thing to be honest, I appreciate it may lay wieght to the claims of a player's greatness, but in the case of Messi I don't think it will really demonstrate a great deal more than we already know about him. Particularly when he's dominating a competition like the Champions League, which I would argue on average boasts better quality opposition than one can expect to find at a World Cup etc...

It will demonstrate he's a better player in a different team, which is surely what we're after here.

Btw people keep on talking about Best and Di Stefano, but I'd argue Dalglish and Weah were better players, and guys that won't be regarded as ATG, because of World Cups. Kenny played in them, but was depressingly brought down by the rest of his deplorable nation.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It will demonstrate he's a better player in a different team, which is surely what we're after here.

Btw people keep on talking about Best and Di Stano, but I'd argue Dalglish and Weah were better players, and guys that won't be regarded as ATG, because of World Cups. Kenny played in them, but was depressingly brought down by the rest of his deplorable nation.
Dalgleish was ****e in a dark blue jersey, should never have played as much as he did.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To be fair, until the latter stages the CL isn't very competitive.
Messi still has an awesome record even if you count just the knockout stages.. which there is no real reason to do, as it's not his fault Barcelona are much better than the majority of teams they come up against. In fact, he is one of the main reasons for that.

Uppercut

I'd definitely say the standard of football in the CL is generally comfortably higher than that in World Cups.

CL is less fun though, and it matters less.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Messi still has an awesome record even if you count just the knockout stages.. which there is no real reason to do, as it's not his fault Barcelona are much better than the majority of teams they come up against. In fact, he is one of the main reasons for that.
I think he does very well regardless, too. He is an awesome goalscorer. I do agree that the La Liga defences are a joke a lot of the time, and that's putting it nicely. Still, he is putting up incredible numbers. Not just goals, assists too.

I think Messi's numbers do reflect his skill, a bit of weakness in the defences he regularly faces and the strength of his teammates and the way his team plays football.

Neither is the World Cup.
Well, maybe for one match. In each group there is a strong team, a pretty good team, and 1-2 weaker teams. The format is too short for the goal-scoring to be affected by the weaker teams. It's 3 games and then the knock-out stages. A team may only really play 1 very weak team and the others are generally good to very good.

Neither are domestic leagues though.
Agree. But I would say EPL and Serie A defences are still much better than La Liga.

Last edited:

duffer

If you swapped Messi and Roanldo, do Real become a better team than Barca?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
No. Personally I think Messi would struggle at Real and not score anywhere near the goals but Ronaldo would still score a similar number at Barcelona.

vcs

No. Personally I think Messi would struggle at Real and not score anywhere near the goals but Ronaldo would still score a similar number at Barcelona.
If anything it would be the other way around. Messi's contribution to the build-up play is much more than Ronaldo's. Ronaldo would just not fit into Barca's style of football.

Bun

Banned
Lionel Messi the little master offers timely reminder of the beautiful game as Barcelona thrill - Telegraph

Messi is the ultimate role model for football: as humble as he is nimble. He is a reminder of the importance of a professional dedicating himself to his craft.

All those young pretenders, and there is an annoying clique of overpaid underachievers in parts of the English game, now know that greatness like Messi’s is achieved only through sacrifice, extra hours on the training ground and a commitment to the team ethos.
So true! Hardly have seen him associated with the kind of trash that engulfs other footballers these days. Including the he-who-shouldn't-be-named Top Premiership player. A real role model...

Discipline brings success.

Last edited: