• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Famous Incidents of Gamesmanship/Cheating

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Materazzi must be up there. Just a dirty **** who desperately needs someone to knock him out or badly break his leg in my opinion.

Matteh

Holy ****. That is disgraceful.

Beckham's reaction when the red comes out is amazing. I can't believe he took it so well. Bloody calm considering the circumstances.
Probably because he kicked Simeone and knew he'd ****ed up. Would've beaten Argentina that night with 11 on the pitch.

Indipper

State Regular
Can't you guys just accept it FFS? I used to like the English team until I realised what a bunch of whiny ****s the fans are.

Craig

World Traveller
Brumbers, I thought Tonka got England's revenge at the subsequent WC in Brazil when Mike Bassett was managing England...

As for bayonet wounds, I nearly got one last time I was in London. Was walking around trying to get to Buckingham Palace and had my head buried in a map.. Saw a good short cut on the map - walk past St James Palace and Clarence House. Was going fine, saw St James', so had my head down in the map trying to work things out when I literally walked into one of those blokes who was on a gate.

They were pretty good about it.. Asked me what I thought I was doing. Rather than my standard "what's it to you, Pommie?" I decided it prudent to explain. The London Bobby who'd come over to the little scene gave me an alternative route via Green Park which didn't involve my going to prison on the way.

Should say my last visit was the week the Iraq War started in 03, so the lads were quite, well, alert really. Scared the crap out of me for a moment I confess. I hadn't realised I as going to be walking outside the Queen Mum's front door in a pair of jeans, a T shirt, a 3 day growth and, probably most disturbingly for them, a largish back pack.
Just as well, or you would have ended up back in Australia earlier then you thought :ph34r:

As for gamemanship, how could we not include Underarm?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Can't you guys just accept it FFS? I used to like the English team until I realised what a bunch of whiny ****s the fans are.
Assuming you'd never actually met any English people then? Moaning's a national obsession; probably comes somewhere between binge drinking and queuing on the list.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Holy ****. That is football.
Fixed.

Wrong as it is, I don't see Simeone's actions being any worse than any instance of diving/going down softly to win a penalty. Not to mention Beckham actually did kick the guy.

Indipper

State Regular
Assuming you'd never actually met any English people then? Moaning's a national obsession; probably comes somewhere between binge drinking and queuing on the list.
Actually I had, but they didnt seem as mentally unbalanced as the sort of folks you meet in sports forums. And the guys in Hyde Park were more concerned with ousting the Royals and boobs than Maradona... :mellow:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Holy ****. That is disgraceful.

Beckham's reaction when the red comes out is amazing. I can't believe he took it so well. Bloody calm considering the circumstances.
Probably because he kicked Simeone and knew he'd ****ed up. Would've beaten Argentina that night with 11 on the pitch.
Fixed.

Wrong as it is, I don't see Simeone's actions being any worse than any instance of diving/going down softly to win a penalty. Not to mention Beckham actually did kick the guy.
:laugh: Hahaha I just watched the clip again and only just realised he kicked him. The first time I watcjed it I didn't even see it, and thought Simeone pretended that he was tripped when he in fact just fell over.

I guess I understand why he was sent off now. I'll never understand the softness of soccer in those circumstances. Free kicks fair enough, but when a team is down a man for stuff like that its rough.

Anyway.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I fail to see how Ali's performance against Foreman was "gamesmanship/cheating".

Anyone mentioned Henry's handball against Eire?

Matteh

Yeah but you're not actually German (or Australian for that matter), so it doesn't count.
Would be surprised at the amount of Nazi jokes i've had over the year despite that.
Think i count as more Australian than German despite being born there thanks to bizarre legal circumstances. I could get an Aussie passport tomorrow on family relation grounds, but my rights to a German one went the moment i was made 'British' by my parents.

social

Panama Lewis (trainer) and Louis Resto (boxer) were put on trial and found guilty of assault, criminal possession of a weapon (Resto's hands), conspiracy and tampering with a sports contest after it was proven that Lewis removed some of the padding from Resto's gloves before a fight.

Panama Lewis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He was also suspected of doping his fighters

Antonio Margarito (former welterweight champ) was suspended after his corner was alleged to have tampered with his hand wraps prior to his bout with Shane Mosley, which were found to contain sulfur and calcium, which combine with oxygen to form "Plaster of Paris"

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I remember watching some programme about the Olympics as a kid and they showed us some fencing shenanigans from years gone by. One of the teams had a button on their, you know, sword-type fencing thingy, that scored them a point when pressed. Or something.

If you didn't get a full and accurate picture of what went on from that, more fool you