• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Famous Incidents of Gamesmanship/Cheating

cpr

International Coach
Yeah, it basically simulated the beep when a sword hits the opponent, so everyone thought contact had been made (bar the opponent, who was at a loss)

Talking of doping scandals. Marseilles early 90's was quite a big one.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Typical German
Talking of which ....

YouTube - 1982 World Cup Group 2 WEST GERMANY v AUSTRIA

For those too young to remember, this was the final group game. Germany needed to win, and Austria needed to lose by not more than one goal. The Germans went ahead early on, and that was the end of the contest: the commentator describes what followed in the last 30 seconds or so of the clip. As a result of this game, the final pairs of group matches were played simultaneously thereafter.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I fail to see how Ali's performance against Foreman was "gamesmanship/cheating".

Anyone mentioned Henry's handball against Eire?
His performance was,imo, gamesmanship when combined with all the pre-fight hoopla and carry on. Certainly not cheating though.

Indipper

State Regular
Whiny Brits again. No one calls Ayrton Senna a cheat for knocking bloody Alain Frog off the track. Hill was partly to blame imo, he just shot into the gap and Schumacher had nowhere to go. Guy could have just waited his turn till Schumi retired but oh no, he thought he was Nigel Mansell.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Whiny Brits again. No one calls Ayrton Senna a cheat for knocking bloody Alain Frog off the track. Hill was partly to blame imo, he just shot into the gap and Schumacher had nowhere to go. Guy could have just waited his turn till Schumi retired but oh no, he thought he was Nigel Mansell.
People do call Aryton a cheat for that.

Hill was partly to blame in so much as he was overtaking Schumacher at the time, which is a cardinal sin and can't happen. Schumacher had been off the corner before, rejoined the track slowly, Hill caught up, went for the inside, had the inside line and Schumacher cut across his bows. You're only allowed one defensive move in F1, Schumacher clearly had more than one.

Hill should've had 3 World Championships '94, '96 and '97 but was gipped out of two of them for very different reasons.

Indipper

State Regular
People do call Aryton a cheat for that.

Hill was partly to blame in so much as he was overtaking Schumacher at the time, which is a cardinal sin and can't happen. Schumacher had been off the corner before, rejoined the track slowly, Hill caught up, went for the inside, had the inside line and Schumacher cut across his bows. You're only allowed one defensive move in F1, Schumacher clearly had more than one.

Hill should've had 3 World Championships '94, '96 and '97 but was gipped out of two of them for very different reasons.
Believe me I'm no fan of Schumacher. Only when he drew level with Fangio did I consider the outside chance that there might be a possibility of him being a decent driver. And back in the day I cursed his name left and right for this, being a Hill & Williams fan. But with some distance and the benefit of watching countless replays on ESPN Speedworld, I believe Hill cost himself the title by going into that corner too fast. Now if Schumacher's ride had been beyond repair at before the corner I would agree that what he did was grossly unsporting but since I can't remember if it was and don't think that it was, he is wrongly condemned I feel.

As for Hill and the fact that he 'should've' won three titles... well, without the shoddy stewarding at Silverstone the championship in 94 wouldn't have gone down the wire and apart from the fact that I find it a bit weird that you think Hill winning in 97 would have been a foregone conclusion, perhaps if he had cared less about money and more about winning, he might have stayed with Williams. After all, no one but Arrows wanted to pay that much money for him.

thierry henry

International Coach
Panama Lewis (trainer) and Louis Resto (boxer) were put on trial and found guilty of assault, criminal possession of a weapon (Resto's hands), conspiracy and tampering with a sports contest after it was proven that Lewis removed some of the padding from Resto's gloves before a fight.

Panama Lewis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He was also suspected of doping his fighters

Antonio Margarito (former welterweight champ) was suspended after his corner was alleged to have tampered with his hand wraps prior to his bout with Shane Mosley, which were found to contain sulfur and calcium, which combine with oxygen to form "Plaster of Paris"
Margacheato may well have had Plaster of Paris in his gloves when he beat up Cotto as well. That fight may well have ended Cotto as a serious force to.

Last edited:

cpr

International Coach
That was match-fixing.

Guilty of pumping steroids into their players too, if you believe what the players say (admittedly Tony Cascarino isn't the most reliable source), though your right, were buggered for fixing, my memory a bit hazy there.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The other day I came across a clip of a game I'd forgotten all about - Celtic's 1974 EC semifinal against Atletico Madrid. I don't know if any other CWers remember it, but Madrid were astonishly vicious even by the standards of the time. Apparently they managed to commit 51 fouls during the game at Parkhead and even had two players sent off in an era when you could get away with murder as a defender. The final between Madrid & Bayern Munich was notable as the only time neutrals wanted the German side to win, which they eventually did comfortably in a replay after almost losing the first game.

There's a few incidents from the game after the Inter game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjhrLqndD1U&NR=1

Last edited:

shivfan

Banned
Yeah, it basically simulated the beep when a sword hits the opponent, so everyone thought contact had been made (bar the opponent, who was at a loss)

Talking of doping scandals. Marseilles early 90's was quite a big one.
And, in other sports, quite a few athletes are testing positive for methylhexaneamine....

Stimulant again involved in doping case - Yahoo! Sports

Aussie and Saffer rugby players, Uzbek wrestlers, Nigerian sprinters....

"ASADA said in October that nine Australian athletes had tested positive for methylhexaneamine. They had not been publicly identified, pending further investigations."

Funny, but when Yohan Blake et al tested positive for this, the Jamaicans were cheating, but now, all of a sudden, it's the drug's fault!
:laugh:
Will the rugby tribunal accept the flimsy excuse put forward by the Saffer rugby authorities?
8-)