• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ok So.....will 2010 be as glorious a year as 1966 ?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Spain's odds are laughable. Can't wait for them to get knocked out.

Brazil should be miles ahead of everyone else, then England, a bit of a gap then numerous European sides.
Can only suppose you've forgotten the absolute arse-raping Spain gave you not so long ago.

Spain are clearly the best side in the Europe at the moment by miles. Have been since the Euros. Sure they have a reputation for choking, but no moreso than England.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Can only suppose you've forgotten the absolute arse-raping Spain gave you not so long ago.

Spain are clearly the best side in the Europe at the moment by miles. Have been since the Euros. Sure they have a reputation for choking, but no moreso than England.
The 2-0 win? England had a second XI out there, pretty much.

I think all objective viewers would have to rate England amongst the favourites. They have a starting XI as strong as anyone in the world and seem to have psychological issues more than anything else. I think Capello solves a lot of those.

Wouldn't be surprised in the least if they win it. I reckon Brazil, Spain and England are the favourites.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Ikki weighing in with words of support for England? Do you support us in footy or something? :p :ph34r:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente

I think all objective viewers would have to rate England amongst the favourites. They have a starting XI as strong as anyone in the world and seem to have psychological issues more than anything else. I think Capello solves a lot of those.

Wouldn't be surprised in the least if they win it. I reckon Brazil, Spain and England are the favourites.
They were all supposedly favourites last time round as well tbf.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Brazil were the champs, Spain were awesome and England had basically the same squad but younger. Wasn't a ridiculous prediction TBH.

In a WC, regardless of how good you are, you'll need that bit of luck. Few WCs have a favourite just steam-roll the opposition.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Ikki weighing in with words of support for England? Do you support us in footy or something? :p :ph34r:
Nah, just the truth. And, I am sure I've said this before, I reckon England have the worst set of fans in the world in football. Dead-set. Read a lot of your media, blogs, forums, etc and think while you have a tendency to rate some of your players highly there is always an opposing faction in your support that go even more over the top in criticism for that same player. So a tiny bit of praise will get lost in there anyway :p.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

England are good, don't get me wrong, but I think Spain and Brazil are quite obviously better at the moment.

They're in a league with Italy, Germany, Netherlands, all unbeaten in their own groups too. And if I'm honest, I wouldn't fancy their chances against any of those teams if they met in the quarter-finals, but it's a close call. Then there are sides like France, Portugal and Argentina, who you wouldn't write off even though they're struggling at the moment. It's not unusual at all for a team that only barely made the finals to come out as champions.

England are somewhere between third and sixth for me.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England are good, don't get me wrong, but I think Spain and Brazil are quite obviously better at the moment.

They're in a league with Italy, Germany, Netherlands, all unbeaten in their own groups too. And if I'm honest, I wouldn't fancy their chances against any of those teams if they met in the quarter-finals, but it's a close call. Then there are sides like France, Portugal and Argentina, who you wouldn't write off even though they're struggling at the moment. It's not unusual at all for a team that only barely made the finals to come out as champions.

England are somewhere between third and sixth for me.
That's about right for me. Don't really know why Scaly rates us so highly considering he's always going on about two of our best players Rooney and particularly Gerrard being over-rated:unsure:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Just like the time before that, and the time before that...
England defiantely where one of the form teams going into the WC 06. Especially after that friendly win vs a strong Argentina in Geneva. The media just super overhyped our chances & well the players where horrific expect for J Cole & Hargreaves.

I presume you are just joking about the ENG being ranked as favourites going into any tournament before that.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
That's about right for me. Don't really know why Scaly rates us so highly considering he's always going on about two of our best players Rooney and particularly Gerrard being over-rated:unsure:
Nah he thinks the latter is overrated. He finds faults with how Rooney plays sometimes though.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Does your sig just refer to an actual Aus-Eng game? If Australia manage to progress further than England, does it count?