• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ok So.....will 2010 be as glorious a year as 1966 ?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Haha well I was just referring to a specific match-up, can't see you going further than us though

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Haha well I was just referring to a specific match-up, can't see you going further than us though
Ooo. Wouldn't be so sure, tbh. Would be fairly confident if we actually have to play Oz, but a favourable draw could see them in the quarters and if we slip up early doors...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't think we will. I think under Capello we will beat the teams that we should beat, should make the last 8

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't think we will. I think under Capello we will beat the teams that we should beat, should make the last 8
At the v least.

But yeah, I'm not expecting us to slip up, but I reckon Oz going further than us if we don't play them is a possibility. More so than if we do anyway, IMHO.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Reckon their keeper issue may hunt them in the later stages. Though sides with worse keeping options have won the WC.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
England defiantely where one of the form teams going into the WC 06. Especially after that friendly win vs a strong Argentina in Geneva. The media just super overhyped our chances & well the players where horrific expect for J Cole & Hargreaves.

I presume you are just joking about the ENG being ranked as favourites going into any tournament before that.
I never said they were favourites, but for some illogical reason the media always hypes them up, and everyone complains like hell when they inevitably fail, as has been the case, in every single major tournament they have been involved in since my birth, with the exception of Euro 96.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I never said they were favourites, but for some illogical reason the media always hypes them up, and everyone complains like hell when they inevitably fail, as has been the case, in every single major tournament they have been involved in since my birth, with the exception of Euro 96.
Only WC 06 & Euro 04 (to a level) was strong media hype prevalent. That certainly was not the case in WC 98, 02 & Euro 2000.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
98 & 02 certainly were. 2000 you're right though as everyone knew we would get caned.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Only WC 06 & Euro 04 (to a level) was strong media hype prevalent. That certainly was not the case in WC 98, 02 & Euro 2000.
As said by GIMH, there was a lot of hype around 98 and 02, and a massive heap of criticism after the team went out.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
98 & 02 certainly were. 2000 you're right though as everyone knew we would get caned.
Dunno. Even in 2000 the expectation was pretty high, despite us needing snookers the qualify (IIRC we needed a favour from Sweden to even make the play-offs). The papers spoke optimistically about Kev's motivational skills and chose to ignore the fact he was (in his own memorable phrase) a "bit short" tactically at that level. I was on holiday in one of the Greek islands for the group stage (might've been Rhodes) and the whole resort (mostly British, with a few pockets of Germans & Dutch) was pretty pumped for the tournament.

It was this tactical illiteracy that cos us when we got there too; we were in winning positions in both the games we lost, but KK managed teams just don't do defence. If memory serves it was Phil "Century for Lancs 2nd XI at 15" Neville who unnecessarily brought the Romanian down for the pen that put us out of our misery.

Least we managed to beat Jerry for the first time in a competitve game since (again, IIRC) 72.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Nah fellas. WC 98 the hypest thing going into that WC was that qualifying game vs Italy. We certainly didn't go into the tournament with no media hype that i can remember.

Memory about the events leading up to EUR0 2000 is very weak. But i remember alot of frustration during the tournament after our defeats to Portugal & Romania.

WC 2002, the only media hype was if Beckham was going to be fit or not. Hype probably developed during the tournament after we beat Argentia in the lead-up to QF vs Brazil.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Nah fellas. WC 98 the hypest thing going into that WC was that qualifying game vs Italy. We certainly didn't go into the tournament with no media hype that i can remember.

Memory about the events leading up to EUR0 2000 is very weak. But i remember alot of frustration during the tournament after our defeats to Portugal & Romania.

WC 2002, the only media hype was if Beckham was going to be fit or not. Hype probably developed during the tournament after we beat Argentia in the lead-up to QF vs Brazil.
Hmm, remember distinctly differently to be honest.