• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
hmm, would've been a stonewall pen if rooney had waited untill contact had been made. Cant condone it. Those arsenal fans who didnt think a dodgy penalty could affect the result of a game might want to reconsider. See eboue hasnt learnt from the midweek backlash. Got to say fletcher has been great again. Missed the save as i was in the shower getting ready for work though
Yep agreed exactly the same thing really, Rooney just made sure he left his leg in for the contact. One does wonder if Eduardo hadn't had his leg injury he'd of made sure there was contact, and we'd of not had this hysteria, and most importantly Exeter might of got a pen today instead of a yellow card:@

I don't really know how they can stop players going for these decisions, it's so endemic in the game, and it's how they've been all been brought up to play. :@

duffer

I thought Diaby responded well after the mistake (the guy might have the stones after all) but it was such a horrendous own goal to concede. Commentators going on like it was a great free kick from Giggs but there wasn't a red shirt anywhere near About to put enough pressure on him for that to happen.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Well, here comes my two cents on the matter. Man Utd fortunate to get the win, Arsenal were imo the better side and controlled the match for the most part, but as I said in another thread, you make your own luck, so credit where credit is due. However, this was not a title winning performance, the penalty arguably should not have been given, yes there was contact, but Rooney was already going down before Almunia touched him, which for mine makes this no different to the way Eduardo went down midweek, of course there will be no media backlash over this incident, because he is English and plays for Man Utd. Furthermore, the ball was kicked out of play by Rooney and he was clearly never catching up with it, so to see it given a pen irks me, but that's more an annoyance at the rules rather than the referee. The own goal was stupid, and could have occured at any time, just a shame that it occured against Man Utd and with the scores at 1-1. Otherwise I thought Arsenal defended very well, and did not look at all troubled until they were hurling men forward at the very end of the match, but again Arsenal were undone by a lack of cutting edge up front, with 15 minutes to go and a goal down, they created no real chances, and it's not a great surprise that they didn't score. Fair play to Man Utd to taking advantage when the opportunities presented themselves, but I can't help but get the feeling that against a better side they wouldn't have gotten away with it so easily.

Pothas

It was a penalty, yes it was soft and yes Rooney half earnt it but it was Almunia's fault and he only has himself to blame. No way did man utd deserve to win but Arsenal have themselves to blame.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, here comes my two cents on the matter. Man Utd fortunate to get the win, Arsenal were imo the better side and controlled the match for the most part, but as I said in another thread, you make your own luck, so credit where credit is due. However, this was not a title winning performance, the penalty arguably should not have been given, yes there was contact, but Rooney was already going down before Almunia touched him, which for mine makes this no different to the way Eduardo went down midweek, of course there will be no media backlash over this incident, because he is English and plays for Man Utd. Furthermore, the ball was kicked out of play by Rooney and he was clearly never catching up with it, so to see it given a pen irks me, but that's more an annoyance at the rules rather than the referee. The own goal was stupid, and could have occured at any time, just a shame that it occured against Man Utd and with the scores at 1-1. Otherwise I thought Arsenal defended very well, and did not look at all troubled until they were hurling men forward at the very end of the match, but again Arsenal were undone by a lack of cutting edge up front, with 15 minutes to go and a goal down, they created no real chances, and it's not a great surprise that they didn't score. Fair play to Man Utd to taking advantage when the opportunities presented themselves, but I can't help but get the feeling that against a better side they wouldn't have gotten away with it so easily.
Arsenal played the better football over the 90 minutes, but if I was an Arsenal fan I'd be disappointed in their reaction to going a goal down. United came back strong into the game at 0-1, Arsenal went out with a whimper. That was the difference for me.

duffer

Still can't understand why Diaby thought a ball with that reasonable pace on it would be easy to head back to the keeper. Should've cleared that easily.

Rooney is a good honest lad who might have been a bit mishievous there. Song, Gallas, Vermaelen, Sagna were brilliant. Rvp had two huge chances but couldn't put them away, Clichy made me nervous all game, Diaby was Diaby, Eboue was Eboue, Arshavin scored a thumper and our subs didn't really do too much.

Thought I'd be more bummed by this but I'm not. We're clearly a rather good team, just can't see where we're going to grow the stones needed to win trophies.

EDIT: can't believe we managed to lose that though.

Last edited:

Pothas

Arsenal played the better football over the 90 minutes, but if I was an Arsenal fan I'd be disappointed in their reaction to going a goal down. United came back strong into the game at 0-1, Arsenal went out with a whimper. That was the difference for me.
hmmm but United did not really work their way back into the game they got two very luck goals both courtesy of Arsenal mistakes. United hardly looked threatening before they scored.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
YEAH LOLZ MAN UTD WERE AMAZING GIGGS RAN THE SHOW AND WE ARE GONNA WIN THE LEAGUE VALENCIA IS THE NEW RONALDO AND WE ARE THE BEST TEAM EVAR

[/Rose]
Nah we were awful. Should have seen me seething. But I agree with Halsey. I don't care.:)

Giggs was awful apart from the two moments and Valencia was mediocre tonight.

Fletcher though. :wub:

roseboy64

hmmm but United did not really work their way back into the game they got two very luck goals both courtesy of Arsenal mistakes. United hardly looked threatening before they scored.
Will disagree there. We got back in the game but Arsenal were still in charge.

duffer

Valencia looked every inch a Wigan player today. Tbh United are less impressive than previous seasons for obvious reasons. I think Chelsea are riding a wave just like the start of last season and will come down to Earth and not convinced by Liverpool either.

We're right in the mix, need a couple more experienced cooler headed players to help us through these games.

roseboy64

Valencia looked every inch a Wigan player today. Tbh United are less impressive than previous seasons for obvious reasons. I think Chelsea are riding a wave just like the start of last season and will come down to Earth and not convinced by Liverpool either.

We're right in the mix, need a couple more experienced cooler headed players to help us through these games.
Valencia's looked good in patches. Clearly something there to work with. Shall need to step it up as the season goes on though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nah, Notlob aren't hard done by, ever. ****s.
Nice Brumby, nice

In between the two goals, they hit the bar so I don't really agree with that at all.

Rooney is a good honest lad .
Don't talk ****, he's a ****

Pothas

Yeah I can think of very good reasons why all the top 4 will not win the league this season. Liverpool obviously look the least likely this season. Think everyone is expecting Chelsea to faulter given what happened with Scolari last year but if I had to pick a winner at this stage it would be them. Arsenal got a chance though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Anyway, super pissed off as I watched the worst TRFC home performance in at least 9 years today, but in all honesty possibly in nearly 20 years of being a white. Absolutely ****ing disgraceful, could throw every cliched metpahor out there, spineless etc, we were just a joke, got to a point where everyone cheered a shot on target like a goal towards the end.

Massive "we want barnes out" chants (which I didn't partake in) as well as singing for Ronnie Moore, things not looking good. Fair's fair, we've probably played the best two teams in the division these last two weeks. But today i spent £16 (which, fair enough, is pretty cheap for this level, should say that before I go on rant) watching a shower who didn't seem to give a ****. £16 that at the minute I really shouldn't be spending on football, it's hard to see me affording getting to many games this season and quite frankly it just isn't worth it