• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

BoyBrumby

Englishman
anyone watching geale v barker?
Was on at stupid o'clock over here, so no. Guess it's all about the money, but kinda odd a bout where an Aussie is fighting a Pom is held in Atlantic City.

Anyway, another Australian triumph... :ph34r:

Srs, decision dodgy? Splits often are.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
Was on at stupid o'clock over here, so no. Guess it's all about the money, but kinda odd a bout where an Aussie is fighting a Pom is held in Atlantic City.

Anyway, another Australian triumph... :ph34r:

Srs, decision dodgy? Splits often are.
I wouldve given it to Geale, but thats from an aussie so probably a bit biased

It was definitely close no doubt and you could easily make a case for giving it to either one

Barker definitely a lot stronger down the stretch than i thought he was going to be

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sounds it

Apparently Geale easily won the last round but 2/3 judges gave it to Barker and that was the difference

dermo

International Vice-Captain
Sounds it

Apparently Geale easily won the last round but 2/3 judges gave it to Barker and that was the difference
If that's true about barker being given the last round that's ****ed, Geale was seriously close to flooring him again, his corner must have told him to chase the KO and he got close.

tbh I thought the last round was one of the only rounds that was a clear win to either fighter

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Poor Cleverly. Made one of the worse decisions possible. Lined up a fight against a killer who was unknown to many in the UK. He was criticized for taking a 'low profile fight' when he was taking on possibly the most dangerous man at middleweight.

Anyone who has followed Kovalev's career would have known that he is vicious. Terrible management decision to take a fight that the UK fans could disparage but was in reality a huge threat.

Son Of Coco

just one of those places you have to go to before you die imo
Was there for 5 days from Boxing Day a few years back. Playng cricket in 44 degree heat and getting bricks thrown through the windows of some of the team buses and the hotel. Those were the days!

Son Of Coco

Yeah it was good fun. When to the Dubbo Trots and the local pub. There was a striking resemblance between the patronage at both places.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
RIP Ken Norton

The man who a lot of seasoned observes think gave Ali his toughest fights passes away at only 70. Vale.

From the BBC.

&, several rungs down the heavyweight order of merit, I see Tyson Fury is scheduled to face David Haye soon.

Fury should be too big &, if he has any sense (debateable at best) he should jab the smaller man to distraction. He is a little chinny tho and Haye can dig, so one never knows.

social

The man who a lot of seasoned observes think gave Ali his toughest fights passes away at only 70. Vale.

From the BBC.

&, several rungs down the heavyweight order of merit, I see Tyson Fury is scheduled to face David Haye soon.

Fury should be too big &, if he has any sense (debateable at best) he should jab the smaller man to distraction. He is a little chinny tho and Haye can dig, so one never knows.
Many good judges have Norton at 3-0 against Ali but the latter received 2 very debatable decisions

As for Fury vs Haye, the former would have to improve a million % from the only time I have seen him fight to trouble Haye

Haye is a very smart guy so I doubt whether he would have taken this fight if he thought Fury had a prayer

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In Thomas Hauser's wonderful 1994 book "Muhammed Ali: His Life and Times", the story of the third Ali-Norton fight has it said that at the end of the penultimate round, Norton's corner told him to take it easy and stay away because he had the fight won, which the referee said he found a quizzical thing to say even at the time.

Certainly Ken was an important part of the great heavyweight era of the late 60s and 70s.

Interestingly, Norton was badly injured in a car crash after boxing, and Ali used to go visit him a lot. Norton said Ali used to tell appallingly bad jokes and perform lame magic tricks to entertain Ken, who promised himself he would recover sufficiently just so he could bash Ali again for putting him through the agony of being "entertained" by him.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
As for Fury vs Haye, the former would have to improve a million % from the only time I have seen him fight to trouble Haye

Haye is a very smart guy so I doubt whether he would have taken this fight if he thought Fury had a prayer
Don't get me wrong, I'd actually love Haye to give Fury a pasting. Haye's not not a ****, but Fury's a different level altogether.

Fury has a huge reach advantage tho &, whilst he's not even approaching the same league as a fighter, could do to Haye what Wlad did in the world title bout & keep him on the end of his jab.

Ideally David Price, the de facto good guy on the Brit heavyweight scene would wipe the floor with both, but after his losses to Thompson it's a long way back for him.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Nah, but hope Froch destroys him. Groves seems quite the ****.

Froch is probably slightly on the down slope at 36, but should still have too much with any luck.

Guess De Gale for the winner is the obvious next fight. Unless they fancy Ward, who's arguably the best pound for pound fighter around just now outside of Mayweather.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Fancied Froch was going to finish Groves but that was a really early, early stoppage. Leaves a bad taste as the fight was cracking. Has to be a rematch as Froch won’t get Ward to come to London after that performance.

Looks like the crowd and Sky have turned on Froch. Groves getting huge cheers, Froch booed.